[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
Apr 12, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #5,567 of 7,021
What cable is everyone using for their ASG2? I am thinking to grab a Linum Bax for mine. Anyone got deets on local Australia cable suppliers? : p

I use either Rhapsodio mono crystal copper or Tralucent pure silver cables on my Aurisonics. It depends what source I'm using as the Tralucent cable sounds off with DX50, too thin but excellent with my newer Hum Pervasion DAP. There aren't many (any?) Australian IEM cable company I know off, you must import from overseas.

Apr 12, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #5,568 of 7,021
  What cable is everyone using for their ASG2? I am thinking to grab a Linum Bax for mine. Anyone got deets on local Australia cable suppliers? : p

I am using a Whiplash TWag V3 - I also have a new TWag V3 Litz (clear cable, not the dark cable) I want to try when I get the time... 

Apr 12, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #5,569 of 7,021
UPDATE REVIEW ON MY ASG-2S or 2.1 I dont not too sure .

okay! so its been about a year since ive had these babies.
My past gear
JH-13
TF-10 --> custom shell + drivers.
Unique Melody Marvels

AK100, AK120 and now on the Fiio X5.

So. Ive had all these gears.
I basically Do DJing on the side I also help record and master new bands in singapore.
I use my gear ALOT.
So far Non have been able to give me the exeriance the ASG-2s have given.
Im pretty clumsy and...er I dont take care of my gear very well to be honest.

I had the ASG-2. Then by the fault of my own. I got a crack in the ASG-2 this was when the ASG-2 still had
a pretty thin shell.
Having made alot of custom Gun parts in cinema 4D and alot of experiance with 3D printing and prototping
I immediatle was the ASG-2s were 3D printed. And TBH I had alot of doubts since at the time the most common
plastic 3D printing material is ABS plastic which isnt too strong.

So being the Kiasu singaporean ( Kiasu is singapore sang for "dont want to loose" )
SO I contacted Aurisonics told them about the crack , then they elightend me on the 3 step QC they put all the phones through
I stil insisted and lucky me Dale was coming to singapore for an Audio who and show casing what I think was a improved version of the ASG-2 as the ASG-2
Slick move Dale :wink:

So At the time Chernwei was the distro in singapore.
And I co-oridanted with them and to my surprise Dale agreed to give me a new(Or display pair) of the ASG-2s
At the time I didnt care Id rather anything he tought was good enough to demo to the people .

Funny story I live in a landed property in singapore in a hidden part of singapore called sembawang.

And at first they asked me to meet them in town.
But couldnt make it.
Then asked me to meet at sembawang which like....was 4 mins from my house and met up at Chernwei's house.
Which I always passed his house to walk home HAHAHAHA. Small world.

Anyway went in and was greeted by Dale , Chernwei and his parents and by golly they were nice.
I never felt this important that the CEO of a company would entertain me especially since Im sure they
knew I most likely damaged the ASG-2s On my own =)

Went in talked with dale for abit and I passed him the ASG-2s i had one look from his face I knew he knew
it was impossible this set left Aurisonics like that.

So he gave me the ASG-2s he had the only difference I saw was this time the AS logo was colored red

I was one of the early few who got the baseline model at the time didnt have that red color in.

Was pretty happy ! And when dale told me the set I held was "special" It was an improved version of the current ASG-2.
At the time told me to not say much about it but eh I was 18 Still a kid. Told me alot of interesting things about the ASG-2 and its
well to put it blunty definetely not what it appears to be alot of reasearch and material is put into these beasts everything has a function

At the time I was in my National Service with the police force under SOC and STAR unit ( spec Ops )
And I was on MC the day I went to collect them =P Not supposed to leave the house if your "sick"

But I can say the ASG-2s he passed me has seen a good part of my combat regiment ,I used them for my IPPT and runs, I used them in turn of the Earpiece they give you to communicate
Shoved into my ear with a helmet that pressed on it and tons of sweat im sure it got soaked like hella.

And still they ran beautifully.
No problems unlike my previous IEMS they eventually...loose their kick ? Or their ability to function with me, ( drivers break or corrode )

Anyway Inspected the "new" ASG-2s or 2.5s or 2.1 HAHA IM NOT SURE.

first thing I saw , thicker shell slightly bigger dynamic driver.

So Im guessing thats what everyne is getting .

SO Its been a year, no other earpiece has satisfied me as much as these.

Ive sold of all my IEMS since, they never had the soul...the impact and the nausnce at the same time that the ASGs provided.
Truely Hear it, Live it.

Heck there was once one fell off my Cable while i was walking to school ( 3 weeks ago ) and thank god walking back up and down 300m of road and pavement asking people if they saw it and a good guy
found it and walked all the way to tme to pass it too me.

But. I saw a crack in the shell, I new the bass would leak...

So I modded.
Bought some industrial plastic resin dipped the ASG-2s in it and let it hang. Sure enough a nice 2mm coating of super hard resin coverd it.
A littel dremel work to free up the bass port...
AND ITS GOOD AS NEW. I was expecting it to loose somthing or not work at all like the experiance Ive had with other IEMs when I try to revive them

So I shoved some sonic foam into the bass port (YALL WELCOME I PIONEERED THAT MOD FOR THE ASG-2S)
But back to point, I closed up everything and turned my compressor on and primed my spray gun , using non corrosive Black paint ( Same type they use for ship hulls)
And coated it up , then poured some liquid resin and gave it an outer coat to protect.
Then finally with some Diamond clear ( that’s the name of the paint) 2K paint Same stuff they use for cars it doesn’t scratch easily and is tough a nuts. Did 3 coats.
Ripped out some carbon fiber and layered it on the faceplate .
Xacto knife to cut out the holes .

Also the reason I think why people who got the Black ones early on had paint dropping is cuz ABS doesn’t hold on to the plastic, Ive seen the paint its pretty good just needs better primer if primer was used at all.

And My baby is back in action. Honestly I don’t recoment doing this unless you can go buy a new set or have other phones to tide you over while you save for a new pair of ASG-2s but damn they are strong, resilient , moddable and ofcourse they sound great.

I REALLY WANT TO THANK AURISONICS seriously I think I found my IEM soulmate here, This set has easily given back more than what I paid for it when I did a few gigs for clubs the DJs all using beats and big ass headphones, And I rip out the ASG-2s tune down the bass and plug in to do my set, weren’t for them I wouldn’t have earned any cash that night.
To wrap it up my experience.
Product quality: 10/10
Customer service: 8/10 ( response timing could improve, I’ve seen better from like aftershock PC )
Sound quality: 9.9/10 mainly cuz Not everyone likes music with soul, some like cold analytical etc
Revive ability: 15/10 never seen a product go through so much and come back 100% with abit of love and modding.
Shipping time 4/10 now this could use some work I rmb waiting a month + for my pair and delays etc shipping is expensive ETC I don’t have any suggestions as increasing shipping quality means increasing expenditure.

VALUE : 10/10 Def the value of these …If I had to buy again I would, If I never bought these and they if they retailed for $2 grand Id still buy them that’s how much value they have to me.

Most importantly to me especially: feedback management 10/10 they listen to us they give us what we want or what they can unlike Cough Apple Cough =P

Anyway ! Im trying to attach a photo of whats gonna be the last paint iteration of my ASG-2s

Maybe Aurisonics can send me a Logo template or sticker cuz im pretty bummed out I cant have that logo show out from the carbon fibre =/

-Nukeshock.

http://www.head-fi.org/g/i/1345355/asg-2-modded/sort/display_order/

Apr 12, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #5,570 of 7,021
If i remember correctly the best cable i have heard is the effect audio thor copper 8 braid cable, tested it with a few iems and it seemed to really give them amazing clarity. I think they go for about $350 here in australia so a little on the expensive side.

Apr 12, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #5,572 of 7,021
It's supposed to help sub bass presence or something if you've got the port opened a bit IIRC

Apr 12, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #5,574 of 7,021
No, not really, I think I used the foam that typically comes on a cheap pair of earbuds at the time. Just anything that can be compressed and is porous should fit the bill. Judge for yourself. I'm not sure whether it made an actual difference since I didn't want to bother with A/Bing. 

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #5,575 of 7,021

I am using a Whiplash TWag V3 - I also have a new TWag V3 Litz (clear cable, not the dark cable) I want to try when I get the time... 

Awesome, where can I order them whiplash cables?

I use either Rhapsodio mono crystal copper or Tralucent pure silver cables on my Aurisonics. It depends what source I'm using as the Tralucent cable sounds off with DX50, too thin but excellent with my newer Hum Pervasion DAP. There aren't many (any?) Australian IEM cable company I know off, you must import from overseas.

I've already ordered a Estron Linum Bax, hopefully they'd arrive by this week!

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #5,576 of 7,021

I've already ordered a Estron Linum Bax, hopefully they'd arrive by this week!

I disliked the Linum cable I tried recently on Earwerks Supra. The length of cable allowed above the Y-Spilt was far too short.  I could just get the earpieces on and have the Y-Spilt hitting my chin tightly. Another thing that bugged me was how much the cable tangled soon as you put it down. Lastly, its so thin (which I know intended) I felt like I had to baby the cable or it would fall apart and was advised to baby it by its owner. I much rather cables with some thickness to them, bit of beef on their bones.

This isn't trying to make you regret your purchase, just my feelings on the design. =)

Apr 12, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #5,577 of 7,021

I disliked the Linum cable I tried recently on Earwerks Supra. The length of cable allowed above the Y-Spilt was far too short.  I could just get the earpieces on and have the Y-Spilt hitting my chin tightly. Another thing that bugged me was how much the cable tangled soon as you put it down. Lastly, its so thin (which I know intended) I felt like I had to baby the cable or it would fall apart and was advised to baby it by its owner. I much rather cables with some thickness to them, bit of beef on their bones.

This isn't trying to make you regret your purchase, just my feelings on the design. =)

Honestly, what you said is true. I already have one for the Shure you sold me. : p I would want to try another one, or get one of the silver/copper hybrid I got from you, but I really don't have the patience to wait for one to be built. I am just camping the classifieds for one. Hahaha

Apr 12, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #5,578 of 7,021
  I disliked the Linum cable I tried recently on Earwerks Supra. The length of cable allowed above the Y-Spilt was far too short.  I could just get the earpieces on and have the Y-Spilt hitting my chin tightly.

Hmm, my Linum Bax is 28cm (11") above the split. No problem whatsoever here, with what's considered one of the largest heads in the Northern Hemisphere.

But then again, what do I know about Australia...
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #5,579 of 7,021

Hmm, my Linum Bax is 28cm (11") above the split. No problem whatsoever here, with what's considered one of the largest heads in the Northern Hemisphere.

wink.gif

Couple more inches would have been handy here.

On the cable that is... 
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #5,580 of 7,021

wink.gif

Could be James444 has the newer production version of the BaX?  It has more length above the Y-split.  The one that came with the Supra is definitely the shorter length.  Also new production runs are less tangle prone and auto coil better for storage.  My T2 BaX cable that came on my Cosmic Ears CE6P is the newer production runs.  Still takes a bit of practice/patience but tangle resistance is much improved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back