[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
Jan 30, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #5,507 of 7,021
So I've been lurking on this thread for a long time and finally have an excuse to join the discussion...

I'm the proud owner of a pair of ASG-2's and a set of Mr. Speakers Alpha Dogs. To get the most out of the AD's, I'm looking to make my first real amp purchase. I'm eyeing a Schiit Lyr, since it's been highly recommended as a pairing with the AD's--and let's face it, tubes look cool.

So here's my dilemma: I am deciding between the Lyr 1 and Lyr 2, the biggest difference between them (other than $200) being the 2's high/low gain switch. The only use I would have for the low setting is for the ASG-2's, otherwise I don't see much benefit in splurging for the Lyr 2. 

My question for you all is: would the ASG-2 benefit much from a higher-end amp? I'm talking SQ-wise, since I know the power of the Lyr is WAAAY overkill for an IEM. If there would be little-to-no benefit from amping the ASG's, then I'll settle for the Lyr 1 and only use it with the AD.

Any opinions?

Jan 30, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #5,508 of 7,021
So I've been lurking on this thread for a long time and finally have an excuse to join the discussion...

I'm the proud owner of a pair of ASG-2's and a set of Mr. Speakers Alpha Dogs. To get the most out of the AD's, I'm looking to make my first real amp purchase. I'm eyeing a Schiit Lyr, since it's been highly recommended as a pairing with the AD's--and let's face it, tubes look cool.

So here's my dilemma: I am deciding between the Lyr 1 and Lyr 2, the biggest difference between them (other than $200) being the 2's high/low gain switch. The only use I would have for the low setting is for the ASG-2's, otherwise I don't see much benefit in splurging for the Lyr 2. 

My question for you all is: would the ASG-2 benefit much from a higher-end amp? I'm talking SQ-wise, since I know the power of the Lyr is WAAAY overkill for an IEM. If there would be little-to-no benefit from amping the ASG's, then I'll settle for the Lyr 1 and only use it with the AD.

Any opinions?
Yes.

Feb 1, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #5,509 of 7,021
Personally I liked the ASG-2 better with flatter, faster sources as that really did focus the mids and bring out more details in the upper mids. Using warmer sources could be more relaxing but personally I'd go for a pretty neutral source and amp for the ASG-2. I have never heard any Schiit amp. But that's my recommendation. To pair them with something fast, punchy and slightly forward and detailed upper mids.

Feb 1, 2015 at 6:08 AM Post #5,510 of 7,021
Yup i concur with @MoonYeol that a flatter and more neutral DAP will be a better match for the ASG2 even though ASG2 does synergize well with most sources.

I have paired the ASG2 with various sources ranging from Cowon J3, DX50, X5 and Iphone 6+. Cowon J3 seems to accentuate the mid bass resulting in lesser mid range details and separation. But it resulted in a smoother and fatigue-free listening session.

The DX50 pairing is better than the J3 even with EQ set to off. Better separation, details and tighter bass. Soundstage and imaging is also better.

With iphone 6+, the sound leans towards the warmer side of things resulting in lesser details and separation but very good bass impact and vocals.

The best pairing that i find is with the X5. Tighter bass, very good details and separation, airy and pretty wide soundstage with very good intimate vocals. 

Feb 2, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #5,511 of 7,021
Thanks for the replies!

Sound's like I might want to avoid tubes, then. Maybe something like the Schiit Asgard 2 (all-SS, has good reviews for use with the Alpha Dogs and IEM's)? 

I'm mostly just looking for an amp for home listening w/ a MBP. Not really looking for a DAP at the moment, but I'll keep a note of your recommendations for the future.

Feb 14, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #5,518 of 7,021
I've never had such picky iems before! Plugging the 2.5s into either of my two denon or marantz receivers they sound quite horrible, almost like the high frequency driver is blown or something. Plugged into my a200p or ipad they sound ok nowhere near there AU$850 asking price. Now when i plug them into my cmoy amp which uses the same opamp that the RA1 does they really come alive, my jaw dropped the first time i did it, not bad for a $70 amp.

Feb 14, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #5,519 of 7,021
I've never had such picky iems before! Plugging the 2.5s into either of my two denon or marantz receivers they sound quite horrible, almost like the high frequency driver is blown or something. Plugged into my a200p or ipad they sound ok nowhere near there AU$850 asking price. Now when i plug them into my cmoy amp which uses the same opamp that the RA1 does they really come alive, my jaw dropped the first time i did it, not bad for a $70 amp.

Weird. The ASG2 ain't picky with source at all. In fact they pair pretty well with almost all sources I've tried.

Feb 14, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #5,520 of 7,021

They are sensitive when it comes to output impedance. Try adding 75-100 Ohms and hear the sound deteriotate to something awful. At least the ASG-2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back