[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
Feb 10, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #4,546 of 7,021
While I am fully enjoying my ASG2 since the day I purchased, I am looking at a few other IEMS. The Shure 846 and the JH Roxanne Siren Universal. Does anyone have any input, reviews and recommendations regarding these two IEMS compared to the ASG2? I am looking for an IEM with a distinct bass and soundstage. Both I assume may/can be an upgrade from the ASG2. I guess I can also add the Tralucent 1p2 into the mix, but there is a review of that from eke on the first few pages. 

Feb 10, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #4,547 of 7,021
  I had a loan of the S-EM6 and the 1+2 during 2 weeks for review, the S-EM6 sounds very poorly textured and weird balanced to my ears. A way too much mid-centric and it was very colored mids. I didn't felt any coherency on the soundstage (there was some kind of a strange resonance effect), especially compared with other high end UIEM (1+2, Togo334 and SE846). 
After a while I was told the S-EM6 I used might be deficient, and after that I had a loan of an other S-EM6 (the crystal version this time) with SD2 and SD3. Same "not for me" weird tuned sound signature. I felt the far cheaper SD2 performed by a good margin better than the S-EM6. So I feel S-EM6 are a very poor value.

The "professionals" using earsonics product in France are for the most of them some commercial pop's singers, far away knowing what is a balanced and natural sound. It's easier for them to deal with a local company than an other company located in a foreign country.

Sshh! Don't let tyojpn hear you.

Feb 10, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #4,548 of 7,021
While I am fully enjoying my ASG2 since the day I purchased, I am looking at a few other IEMS. The Shure 846 and the JH Roxanne Siren Universal. Does anyone have any input, reviews and recommendations regarding these two IEMS compared to the ASG2? I am looking for an IEM with a distinct bass and soundstage. Both I assume may/can be an upgrade from the ASG2. I guess I can also add the Tralucent 1p2 into the mix, but there is a review of that from eke on the first few pages. 

Have you contacted JH Audio to ask for a demo pair?

Feb 10, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #4,549 of 7,021
  I had a loan of the S-EM6 and the 1+2 during 2 weeks for review, the S-EM6 sounds very poorly textured and weird balanced to my ears. A way too much mid-centric and it was very colored mids. I didn't felt any coherency on the soundstage (there was some kind of a strange resonance effect), especially compared with other high end UIEM (1+2, Togo334 and SE846). 
After a while I was told the S-EM6 I used might be deficient, and after that I had a loan of an other S-EM6 (the crystal version this time) with SD2 and SD3. Same "not for me" weird tuned sound signature. I felt the far cheaper SD2 performed by a good margin better than the S-EM6. So I feel S-EM6 are a very poor value.

The "professionals" using earsonics product in France are for the most of them some commercial pop's singers, far away knowing what is a balanced and natural sound. It's easier for them to deal with a local company than an other company located in a foreign country.

Oh snap!

Feb 10, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #4,551 of 7,021
  Hmm..reading the comparisons with the S-EM6 were interesting. I agree with tyojpn about the ES' signature being smooth rather than "veiled." It's been a couple months since I've had the SM64 and the first week in I was regretting what I paid for. Everything seemed too veiled. I just kept turning the volume higher and higher and got really frustrated. The second week I don't know what happened but it seemed rather smooth but was still quite annoyed because it seemed to "smooth" out the fun of the music. After 3 weeks, I don't know how or what made me change how I thought about the SM64 but I just fell in love with them. I like to listen to the drums a lot in music and the kick/floor toms sounded so warm and detailed and the HH began to come across so clearly and beautifully. I guess they just grew on me like no other IEM did. To me they sound more neutral sounding rather than mid-forward. Don't know if the S-EM6 are like this but I was thinking about getting them at some point since I enjoy the SM64 so much now. I got myself Heir Audio's 4.ai impulsively a couple days ago and those sound super mid-forward...too mid-forward. I'd choose SM64 over them any day. It wins in clarity, soundstage, and overall sound hands down imo. Thinking about giving the 4.ai a fair chance by giving it a listen for a couple more weeks.

When Cotnijoe said that things were not there for the S-EM6, I got really curious to how that is possible. I'm just guessing/hoping that he is experiencing what I felt my first couple of weeks into the SM64.

I also have S-EM6 Crystal and experienced the same. At first listening I thought "What?" "Where is the treble?" "What a piece of crap". But after some weeks it grew on me like no other before. I just found that good seal (it really is tip dependent) and proper EQ is vital for a good sound. I use it with Neutron and JetAudio together with Sony ZX1 and the sound is brilliant, very unique. I even A/B with Shure 846 and couldn't decide which one was better but I could easily notice how good is their mids and to my surprise sub bass is almos on par.
I can easily understand people not liking it because it happened with me. Its an IEM that will never WOW you at first listening but if you have time and patience you'll be rewarded.
Of course, this is my humble opinion.......

Feb 10, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #4,552 of 7,021
What was your EQ like? I'll give it a shot 
blink.gif

Feb 10, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #4,553 of 7,021
  I also have S-EM6 Crystal and experienced the same. At first listening I thought "What?" "Where is the treble?" "What a piece of crap". But after some weeks it grew on me like no other before. I just found that good seal (it really is tip dependent) and proper EQ is vital for a good sound. I use it with Neutron and JetAudio together with Sony ZX1 and the sound is brilliant, very unique. I even A/B with Shure 846 and couldn't decide which one was better but I could easily notice how good is their mids and to my surprise sub bass is almos on par.
I can easily understand people not liking it because it happened with me. Its an IEM that will never WOW you at first listening but if you have time and patience you'll be rewarded.

No offense meant, but this is what I call purchase justification. No doubt EQ could improve it overall, but for a $1000 phone to sound like a turd out of the box is shameful, if you ask me.

Feb 10, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #4,555 of 7,021
  Save $450 and buy ASG-2 instead if you're going to EQ heavily. They EQ great and are blessed with great hardware.

Even without EQ the ASG-2 runs circles around the S-EM6. You know it's bad when the S-EM6 can make an already warm IEM sounds like the crystalline untouched waters of Lake Mik'aheuaiti'ea.

Feb 10, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #4,556 of 7,021

Save $450 and buy ASG-2 instead if you're going to EQ heavily. They EQ great and are blessed with great hardware.

Even without EQ the ASG-2 runs circles around the S-EM6. You know it's bad when the S-EM6 can make an already warm IEM sounds like the crystalline untouched waters of Lake Mik'aheuaiti'ea.

Well. I think there are a handful of people who disagree with that. I haven't heard the S-EM6 so don't know myself. But anything that makes ASG-2 sound really clear is something that I don't want to use regularly. But at the same time I do understand the thing about weeks in, the thoughts about the sound signature or the perception of the sound changed. I don't know but now I don't find the ASG-2 to be that dark at all, not even with comply TS500. I KNOW that they are dark-ish and the mids etc but I don't feel the treble lacking anymore. I guess it's all related to be selling off my R-50, GR07 mkII, Re0 breaking down etc. I'm getting used to a slightly warmer sound and I appreciate the fullness more now than I did when I got them. Still, I mainly listen on the go so the extra bass is nice for drowning out traffic etc.

Feb 10, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #4,557 of 7,021
I'm going to put my ASG 2's up for sale.

I just got them back about 1h 25m ago and still feel warm and cozy with my GR07's

07's FoLife!

FoLife.... *walks towards the sunset

Eke:

Feb 10, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #4,559 of 7,021
hey i just remembered. Whatever happened to the whole revised version of the ASG-2? Wasnt there suppose to be a 2.2 coming out?

Feb 10, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #4,560 of 7,021

Yay! Getting them within the next month!

I have demoed both the SE846 and JH Roxanne universal. 846 about a month ago and the Roxanne last weekend. I didn't get a very long time with them but from what I remember 846 my first impressions found them very mid-forward with deep extending bass. Not sure what filter was applied on the one I demoed. As for the Roxanne, it sounded absolutely beautiful. A slight upgrade to the UE18Pro sound. Nothing is missing. Everything was so full with a wonderful soundstage and imaging experience. I'm going to have to put them as the best IEMs I have ever heard out to date.

Yes, I did a great deal of EQ tweaking myself. Mostly a boost in the 2~4K region. Lovin it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back