[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
Oct 28, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #3,946 of 7,021
smile.gif

James, if you want you can collect from me Peter Gabriel in Athens concert selected tracks 24/48 mastered exclusively for B&W testing loudspeakers. i spinned them yesterday comparing to the 25th anniversary edition of "So" album containing same Athens show and can only tell "WoW".... these 24/48 tracks sound better than some of my 24/192 materials.

let me know so i can copy you some nice tracks on USB stick and you can pass them to Music.

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #3,947 of 7,021
Guys, is there anyone out here than can compare asg2 with shure 846 in terms of day-to-day usage? i have asg2 already but somehow i cant convince myself to be contented with these pair. bass texture is somewhat too much despite of all tweaks.... too much reverb as well compare to my w4r which is tight and well controlled. pls need help!

Oct 28, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #3,949 of 7,021
Guys, is there anyone out here than can compare asg2 with shure 846 in terms of day-to-day usage? i have asg2 already but somehow i cant convince myself to be contented with these pair. bass texture is somewhat too much despite of all tweaks.... too much reverb as well compare to my w4r which is tight and well controlled. pls need help!

I'm also interested in that. But I think too few have heard the Se846...

Oct 29, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #3,952 of 7,021
  James, if you want you can collect from me Peter Gabriel in Athens concert selected tracks 24/48 mastered exclusively for B&W testing loudspeakers. i spinned them yesterday comparing to the 25th anniversary edition of "So" album containing same Athens show and can only tell "WoW".... these 24/48 tracks sound better than some of my 24/192 materials.

let me know so i can copy you some nice tracks on USB stick and you can pass them to Music.

Thanks Gintaras, but I'm on a steady diet that excludes hi-rez tracks (and aftermarket cables). Slims down the harddisks and prevents OCD.
wink.gif

But I'll ask Music whether he's interested.

Oct 29, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #3,953 of 7,021
James, you do not know what you will be missing. 24bit mastering quality, not copy. i've been recently to his concert but Athens version is simply the best of all he made in shows ever:

Oct 29, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #3,955 of 7,021
Greeting fellow gentlemen and woman. Here I have for you my final update::sweat_smile:

The new set looks much better aesthetically then the last but as you can see in the final picture, their are still some mistakes. I would say it bothers me but I'm sure people will remind me how they are hand painted or what have you. The lows no longer sound as convoluted as before but I have to say I personally enjoy the presentation of both GR07's more here. Vocals still sound good to me, clear, this is the only section I could happily trade into my GR07's. I didn't hear any sibilance from my time with them but I do feel they miss some of the detail I find in my GR07 and really miss from my HFI 580's. Tip selection is not as magnificent as my 07's but I really like the stock ones already on the phones. Wile they fit well and didn't cause any pain when used normally, sleeping with them is not an option for me, placing my head on my pillow caused discomfort. I wish the tool to change the port setting wasn't bare metal, maybe a rubberized tip or something? The port could have a more user friendly adjustment, clicking into place. I didn't like the memory tube on the cable, it seems supple enough to not need it with the slider in my use. As a package, I once again prefer my GR07's.

ME2: what that guy said^:sunglasses:

ME3: Point of inquiry, what do you mean exactly by not convoluted?

When I fist heard the ASG 2's, I didn't notice much of a problem with the lows, provably cuz of my song selection. When I hit a certain song, something sounded quite off. I wasn't sure how to describe what I was hearing but I used bloated, soft, ect... maybe because I wasn't hearing clear texture.

ME3: texture?

Rumble? Different bass tones following each other with clear definition between them? It sounded as if the notes were fighting with each other or what have you. Let me attempt to explain.

In the following pic, imagine every possible bass note is individually represented by each box/rectangle(blue). When one or more are playing, they have great definition or distinction from one note to the other(red).

Here is how I heard the first set:

Someone pointed out to me why I didn't immediately notice such a drastic sub bass fall. I tried listening to a song(which I posted here) that started with tones at what I believe is around 50Hz. I could clearly hear them so assumed it was something else.

ME3: So u don't find it bloated or soft anymore?

Well, with the ports completely closed, I find it quite nice tho I actually like the overall bass presentation of Gr07's, h200's, Spirit One, Amperior, and HFI 580's more just to name a few. The h200 seem quite clear in the lows, GR07's better balanced, ect...

ME3: What was wrong with the first set again?

I was actually waiting for a detailed throw down of what was wrong, if anything, with my first pair before I posted this update. The reply I received is that the drivers had a problem. What exactly was the problem, I don't know :frowning2:

ME3: What did they do to your set?

Replaced it. I was told they decided to build me a new set and placed my old one in a clear box labeled, and I quote, "don't send crap out like this". The fact it was a funny reply turned my :frowning2: to :) for a bit before it's low detail flipped it back 180... :frowning2:

ME3: What did you learn?

We suck at life.:yum:

ME2: :neutral_face:

As you guys provably already know, both the G2's and 07's are currently out on a tour. Can't wait to hear everyone's opinion. Inks already chimed in!

Oct 29, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #3,957 of 7,021
Sure mate. I don't have either at the moment but take this vid I talked about a wile back.

http://youtu.be/Q3KlH3g1KI0
0:06-0:54

I think the ASG 2 does a better job then the GR07 with the sense of air in the voice but the GR07 gets closer to the detail I remember on my HFI 580 at 0:28 and 0:41 for example.

Oct 29, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #3,958 of 7,021
Sure mate. I don't have either at the moment but take this vid I talked about a wile back.

http://youtu.be/Q3KlH3g1KI0
0:06-0:54

I think the ASG 2 does a better job then the GR07 with the sense of air in the voice but the GR07 gets closer to the detail I remember on my HFI 580 at 0:28 and 0:41 for example.

Ok, I'll take a listen after class.

Though, I did A/B the G2 and BE right after the BE arrived. I found the G2 more spacious and nuanced, with better separation and detail. Not as much as the price difference would imply, but it was still obvious to me. Still, I guess we'll wait for the tour IM-reasons to come in.

Oct 29, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #3,959 of 7,021
I can roll with more spacious(or more air around the instruments and vocals like I PM'ed ya) but yes, to what degree... at what price. Listening to the song you sent me I was already quite happy with what I heard on the GR07. Switching to the ASG for me cleared up the vocals a bit(a bit) an increased air around the instruments a bit. Then I look off to my wallet...

Remmber I was interested in the port for that occasional wub wub. Even with music were its basically just bass... I'm not feeling it. It seems too loose. I actually rather have it closed.

The song you mentioned is awesome tho:

Oct 29, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #3,960 of 7,021
Yeah, so far the bass valve doesn't really increase the sub bass. It just makes it bloated.

My ASG-2 are out and about for now, but I can already imagine how Ben Howard's album sounds on them. On my R-50 (which are the only ones I have at home) the songs were clear, detailed, quite spacious and airy. But really, acoustic guitars are one of the G-2's strong instruments. Making them sound more like when you're playing yourself, getting all the low end fed back to you through the body of the guitar, hearing that full and brilliant sound. I miss my ASG-2...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back