[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
Sep 18, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #3,571 of 7,021

Hope to see a review/comparison real soon! 
smily_headphones1.gif

+1  
size]

Sep 18, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #3,572 of 7,021
lmao.... Makes me wonder if that's why they charge such exorbitant prices for these tips to cover for the shipping and size of the box :p.

I LOL'ed hard when I opened the box.

On price:
The listed price is $14 in the US Ortofon site and they have a Free shipping option.

http://www.ortofon.us/product_buy?pid=267&category_id=8

Their cost to ship?

When I couldn't find them in the US site, I tried outside the US. I got stuck on checkout and got this email response:

*Looks at the size of the tube...

Thanks for the tips guys but I'm a wait for the ASG 2's to get back, I'll try the tips then. Hopefully "then" isn't three months down the road, lol.

Sep 18, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #3,573 of 7,021
Someone who has both the auvios and ortofons, what are the differences concerning stem length (= insertion depth), density/hardness/flexibility, resonance frequencies/sound signature for ASG-2. I've been tip rolling a bit more but still not satisfied. Got rid of maybe 20% of the sibilance with an OFC IC instead of pure silver and noticed that softer, shallower silicone tips give less sibilance than longer tips with harder stems. Going to try the short biflanges from IE8 since they're really shallow and maybe apply a Hifiman filter from Re0. After 300h the sibilance is a little better. Still really sensitive to sibilance and will show if there is even a trace of it. But some songs and albums sound great. I think I'll stop burning them in now. I'm getting sick of the little "pink noise and dual sine sweep".

Sep 18, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #3,574 of 7,021
Someone who has both the auvios and ortofons, what are the differences concerning stem length (= insertion depth), density/hardness/flexibility, resonance frequencies/sound signature for ASG-2. I've been tip rolling a bit more but still not satisfied. Got rid of maybe 20% of the sibilance with an OFC IC instead of pure silver and noticed that softer, shallower silicone tips give less sibilance than longer tips with harder stems. Going to try the short biflanges from IE8 since they're really shallow and maybe apply a Hifiman filter from Re0. After 300h the sibilance is a little better. Still really sensitive to sibilance and will show if there is even a trace of it. But some songs and albums sound great. I think I'll stop burning them in now. I'm getting sick of the little "pink noise and dual sine sweep".

The Auvios are slightly firmer (IIRC), and longer/more bullet shaped. The Ortofons are rounder and softer. The IE8 bi-flanges may cut too much of the bass for your liking.

I'm spending some quality time with my G2 today, and my God, this thing is amazing. I just downloaded Ben Howard's Every Kingdom album and it sounds amazing. The ASG-2 takes it to another level with the clarity, bass, enveloping stage, and vocal intimacy. 

Anyone who owns a G2 owes it to himself to hear this album.

Sep 18, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #3,575 of 7,021

I just downloaded Ben Howard's Every Kingdom album and it sounds amazing. The ASG-2 takes it to another level with the clarity, bass, enveloping stage, and vocal intimacy. 

You think it sounds good on the G2.. I'm listening to that album w/ the Crack+HD800.. 

LAWD.

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #3,577 of 7,021

I just downloaded Ben Howard's Every Kingdom album and it sounds amazing. The ASG-2 takes it to another level with the clarity, bass, enveloping stage, and vocal intimacy. 

You think it sounds good on the G2.. I'm listening to that album w/ the Crack+HD800.. 

LAWD.

I don't know if it's cool to brag about being on crack when you're listening to music :wink:

Sep 19, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #3,578 of 7,021
Eke, when will Aurisonics give us an upgrade cable? if i am not mistaken you once mentioned Dale was working on it, right?

Sep 19, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #3,579 of 7,021
  Eke, when will Aurisonics give us an upgrade cable? if i am not mistaken you once mentioned Dale was working on it, right?

I haven't spoken to Dale in a while, so I'm not sure about the status of the or the cv mod.

Sep 19, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #3,580 of 7,021
hopefully they do, ASG2 is too good IEM and deserves a better cable.

Sep 19, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #3,582 of 7,021

I do remember reading something about an "audiophile" version of the ASG-2 with an upgraded cable.

Funny that you mention this, I was visiting Bangkok today when I stumbled upon an Hi-Fi shop that had 5 "upgrade" cables available with the Westone plugs that fits my ASG-2.

All of them at least had the merit to slightly reduce bass, preventing this light boom I hear even with the bass port closed.
Seems like the Westone Epic cable which is delivered with ASG-2 is indeed not a very good match with ASG-2s (I got the black one).

I tried a Black Lagoon cable (not much to say, nothing special).
FiiO RC-WT1: nothing special either, even though I like the white color.
I also tried 3 Toxic cables: OCC, silver and OFHC. OCC added a touch of warmth but at the expense of mids (mids took a step down which isn't to my liking, but neutrality freaks may appreciate). Silver made the sound a bit drier/ more analytical (treble were too fast to my taste). OFHC sounded quite good but I couldn't say exactly how (switching between stock cable and the other 5 became tedious after an hour). I'll double check this cable tomorrow, because I got distracted by their awesome choice of portable players (DX50/DX100, X3, AK100, AK120... I was like a kid in a candystore).

Sep 20, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #3,583 of 7,021
Does anyone know how to lower the volume on my ASG-2s? I know theyre very sensitive but I have set my volume slider to the lowest I can get it at and only go one click above silent when listening to music on the stock music app. I am using an iPhone 4 btw. Any apps that have a more precise volume control or is there any better solution? Thanks and still enjoying every hour with these iems :) 

Sep 20, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #3,584 of 7,021
Does anyone know how to lower the volume on my ASG-2s? I know theyre very sensitive but I have set my volume slider to the lowest I can get it at and only go one click above silent when listening to music on the stock music app. I am using an iPhone 4 btw. Any apps that have a more precise volume control or is there any better solution? Thanks and still enjoying every hour with these iems :) 

Don't know about that. But a Fiio E6 and a LOD cable will fix the issue as well as giving you sliiiiiiiiiightly more power (at least that's the usual difference between headphone out vs E6). The E6 is cheap and has a great volume control with smaller steps than the iP4.

Sep 20, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #3,585 of 7,021

what u can do is go set the maximum volume to a lower volume. maybe try like 25% as ur max volume. Then the entire bar is set to have max at 25% and should give you a bit more flexibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back