[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
Aug 5, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #2,506 of 7,021
Quote:

I consider myself rather an interested reader than an expert in these things, but the impression I've been getting is that measurements are pretty reliable and repeatable, if conducted carefully and in a standardized environment. However, whether anyone will actually hear a tested pair of IEMs similarly to the dummy head, is an entirely different question, which I've tried to touch on in some of my previous posts
smile_phones.gif

Those with a serious interest in graphs / measurements should try to get a copy of one of the following books: Audio Measurements for Dummies (2007), or the revised edition of the same book titled Audio Measurements for Dummy-heads (2012).

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #2,507 of 7,021
Quote:
Anyone else feel that these are a bit source sensitive? It should pretty good from the iphone and macbook pro (at work) but it sounds extremely V shaped (especially on the low end) on my Nexus 7.2

Can anyone comment on these compared to the JH16 by chance?

I didn't hear the JH16, but my understanding from the young lady that represented Jerry Harvey Audio at the Canlanta meet is that it's a less neutral and much more bass-emphasized than the JH13 (Pro FreqPhase). I did get a chance to spend a few minutes with the 13s, and given all the typical disclaimers (meet conditions, didn't get hours to listen to them, did not get a perfect fit, etc), I have to say that the 13 was, to my ears, just a hair better than the ASG-2. It seemed a touch more even, and there was a beguiling cohesiveness to the sound that I don't really have a better explanation for. In context, however, they were only marginally better than the G-2, and in my estimation the mild differences were not nearly enough to justify the rather large price difference between them. I left the show determined to get a pair of G-2s, not JH13s, even though I liked them quite a bit and respected what they'd accomplished with them. JM2C. 

Also, while there have been differences in sound from different sources I've tried with the ASG-2, I've only run into one poor pairing-- the Yulong D100 (Mk I). I actually think they sound pretty great out of my Droid DNA. 

Anyway, not exactly what you asked, but hope it helps at least a little :wink:

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #2,508 of 7,021
Quote:

I didn't hear the JH16, but my understanding from the young lady that represented Jerry Harvey Audio at the Canlanta meet is that it's a less neutral and much more bass-emphasized than the JH13 (Pro FreqPhase). I did get a chance to spend a few minutes with the 13s, and given all the typical disclaimers (meet conditions, didn't get hours to listen to them, did not get a perfect fit, etc), I have to say that the 13 was, to my ears, just a hair better than the ASG-2. It seemed a touch more even, and there was a beguiling cohesiveness to the sound that I don't really have a better explanation for. In context, however, they were only marginally better than the G-2, and in my estimation the mild differences were not nearly enough to justify the rather large price difference between them. I left the show determined to get a pair of G-2s, not JH13s, even though I liked them quite a bit and respected what they'd accomplished with them. JM2C. 

Also, while there have been differences in sound from different sources I've tried with the ASG-2, I've only run into one poor pairing-- the Yulong D100 (Mk I). I actually think they sound pretty great out of my Droid DNA. 

Anyway, not exactly what you asked, but hope it helps at least a little :wink:

Hearing this comment makes me smile. (JH13 being close to the ASG2) I've always been curious on how the JH16 sounds.

Aug 5, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #2,509 of 7,021
So now im looking at the IE800 looks like the logical choice i guess...hyper detailed good bass vocals that seem to be comming from you...but the treble...ay...wonder if an amp or eq setting can fix that im gonna be investing $943 USD into it largest purchase on a single item i have ever made...( besides my graphics card ...LOL ) 

I dont mind getting a TG334 second hand or if there are better IEMs around their tier !?!?!?!? im Lost 

Aug 5, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #2,510 of 7,021
So now im looking at the IE800 looks like the logical choice i guess...hyper detailed good bass vocals that seem to be comming from you...but the treble...ay...wonder if an amp or eq setting can fix that im gonna be investing $943 USD into it largest purchase on a single item i have ever made...( besides my graphics card ...LOL ) 

I dont mind getting a TG334 second hand or if there are better IEMs around their tier !?!?!?!? im Lost 

I found that a cut of a few db at 10k helped put some weight on the treble. It's something that's definitely there, but I didn't dwell on too much tbh. That doesn't mean it might not drive you mad though lol. :D

Aug 5, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #2,511 of 7,021
i see alot of thing putting me of the IE800...non removable cables...not sure if it is strong ? or easy to break ? kind of looks like meh ~ i want the TG334 but for the $900 price difference...unless i get second hand locally come on guys besides the TG334 , iE800 and 1+2 i need more options to upgrade from the ASG-2s !

i Dont really like Fads sonic nature that much though ~ i have been looking at ACS T1 live IEMs anyone know how good they are ? can they compete with IEMs like the IE800 and TG334 ?

Aug 5, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #2,512 of 7,021
i see alot of thing putting me of the IE800...non removable cables...not sure if it is strong ? or easy to break ? kind of looks like meh ~ i want the TG334 but for the $900 price difference...unless i get second hand locally come on guys besides the TG334 , iE800 and 1+2 i need more options to upgrade from the ASG-2s !

i Dont really like Fads sonic nature that much though ~ i have been looking at ACS T1 live IEMs anyone know how good they are ? can they compete with IEMs like the IE800 and TG334 ?

If you want tighter bass than the ASG-2, but still with a 5-6dB boost from flat, I recommend the fitear F111.

Aug 5, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #2,513 of 7,021
Quote:
If you want tighter bass than the ASG-2, but still with a 5-6dB boost from flat, I recommend the fitear F111.

THANK YOU ! Gnarlsagan ! will check it out !!! so far now i have been attracted back to the IE800...damn my local store likes to bundle lots of thing so i am going to check them out they also have fit ear so i am going to ask if they have it on demo!!!

Aug 5, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #2,514 of 7,021
Quote:

I've heard the F111 is relatively flat though, as opposed to the ASG-2 which is pretty coloured with a very strong midrange and smooth highs. 

Aug 5, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #2,515 of 7,021
THANK YOU ! Gnarlsagan ! will check it out !!! so far now i have been attracted back to the IE800...damn my local store likes to bundle lots of thing so i am going to check them out they also have fit ear so i am going to ask if they have it on demo!!!

I re-read your previous post, and if the ASG-2 had too much bass for you (bass port closed), I'd assume the 334 would have way too much bass for you. Not sure about the IE800 as they are supposed to be more sub-bass focused. What's your ideal bass level?

Aug 5, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #2,516 of 7,021
as long as it is clear and doesnt muddy up , sometimes in certain tracks i felt that the music was overwhelemed and like someone covered the iem with sonic foam ??? and if you listen closes that is not the case it apears to be muddy but when i really concentrate everything is there and sometimes it can sound abit...busy ??? or boxed in but after i Eqed the ASG-2 on my ak100 the bass seems better ( and to all ak100 users out there...i realised that when i put on christina agulera beautiful i can hear distortion in her voice at some parts when the volume is high but turn off the eq and everything is back to normal) so now i am looking for an IEM with a little more treble , better bass control , dont get me wrong the ASG-2 has one of best layering and controlled bass from IEMs stand point, i have heard but i am very used to the bass of the 1840s which many people call bass shy but it actually has a the bass it comes only when it is needed and when it comes ..it comes. ( thats what she said) so far the IE800 seems to fit the bill the more i dwell into it ( i dont know if this is my brain accepting the things that turned me off the IE800 but just from these few hours i cant wait till september to buy the IE800....though my opinions change really quickly :/ l
i took alook at the F111 looks spankingly nice ! i love iems with Ciem shapes! gives them a more premium limited rare look the IE800 have a common look ...if i were to pair them next to my dads 846 people would choose the 846 bases on looks alone ( FYI the ASG-2 sounds better to me than the SE846 with bass filter) 
i like bass simply but hate when it influences the sound :/ 

Aug 5, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #2,517 of 7,021
The IE800 looks to have more bass and treble than the F111. I'll be able to have a proper comparison soon though.

Aug 5, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #2,518 of 7,021
If the IE800 looks common then I look like Brad Pitt.

... Maybe it does look pretty common. :p

Aug 5, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #2,519 of 7,021
For those of you interested in the ie800, you do know that you can get it from Amazon japan for USD $667.15.
You would have to use the Tenso forwarding service to the U.S., which would be about another $30, so still under $700.

Aug 5, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #2,520 of 7,021
Quote:
For those of you interested in the ie800, you do know that you can get it from Amazon japan for USD $667.15.
You would have to use the Tenso forwarding service to the U.S., which would be about another $30, so still under $700.

That's an awesome tip! Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back