Review: Audio Technica ATH-ES7, perfect companion for IEM fans + lots of pics!!
May 1, 2009 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

ka-boom

500+ Head-Fier
[size=medium]Where and why I bought the Audio Technica ATH-ES7[/size]
Where - I bought mine here, at J&R Electronics for $99. Since I bought mine a few months ago the price has dropped to $89 which is a real bargain for these headphones. J&R only ships to the US & Canada however. If you live in the US and attempt to roll the dice to save a couple bucks by buying from ebay and get ripped off – YOU DESERVE IT. You deserve to have your money taken, and to become the shameful owner of a pair of cheap fakes. There are a number of reputable, legitimate authorized dealers to buy these from so there is no excuse to test your luck and buy them from ebay. No excuse.

rljpdu.jpg

Why – Having sold my Panasonic noise canceling headphones I was in the market for something light and portable that sounded good. The ES7’s garnered a lot of praise across head-fi, as well as other sites online. I listen with IEM’s most of the time, so for times when I didn’t feel like having my Klipsch crammed down my ear canals, and I didn’t want a gigantic set of over the ears, the ES7 seemed like the good solution. Or maybe you just don't want to spend hundreds on a pair of headphones because you prefer IEMs, these are a good sidekick to any pair of IEMs.

jsbxtv.jpg

[size=medium]Packaging and first impressions [/size]
The packaging was pretty standard, somewhat minimal for a pair of headphones. Just a simple thin cardboard box, with the headphones held in place with twist ties. No deluxe boxing, no fancy bubblewrap cushioning.

14n1gs5.jpg

Because the reviews I saw online before purchasing mine all showed the ES7’s coming in a black “Earsuit” box, I thought I was shipped the wrong headphones because my ES7’s came in a two-tone white and grey box. But the more I looked around on google images I saw others with the same box, so I felt safer. The box has a manufactured date on it, so maybe the older ones were in the black box(?)

6yfcdx.jpg

rc7iaa.jpg

Speaking of impressions, the instant I opened the box I was very surprised at how small the headphones actually are. I never found any good pictures online with people wearing them, so it came as a shock to me that these sit ON your ear, not around it. They do not surround or encompass your ear. I have to admit – I was disappointed in this as I was hoping for closed, around the ear headphones. In the grand scheme of things, this is a small issue, and certainly not a deal breaker for me.

2md5a13.jpg

2ihxxk8.jpg

Aesthetically they look awesome. Nice shiny reflective ear cups. Some people call them black, some people call them silver – take your pick. I guess it depends on the light you’re in.

[size=medium]Fit and feel[/size]
The leather is a bit shiny and not dull matte like other manufacturers. The leather is also stiffer than other cups I have used and sampled. The cord is an average length with a standard straight plug. I have noticed that even after months of usage now, the cord still coils up on itself from memory. I don’t particularly like this, I wish it hung more freely, but it’s worth mentioning.

eleis9.jpg
mc3yfk.jpg

(that is the reflection of my camera on the tripod on the left image)

The headband is a thick rubber that fits nice. It’s not padded like others, but I have hair on top of my head for “padding”, I don’t need built-in pillows on my headphones. The ear cups are easily adjustable with audible clicking and visual markings on the inside of the band so you know you have both ear cups at the same distance.

Like I mentioned, the leather is stiff, and while it’s not “uncomfortable”, they’re not the most comfortable either. Even after months of usage they’ve only “broken in” a little bit. I guess for $99 I shouldn’t complain.

11rg0sn.jpg

68bz89.jpg

[size=medium]Leakage[/size]
Part of the reason I wanted a larger, closed headphone was to cut down on noise leakage to the outside world. Fortunately, even though these are on ear, they don’t leak too badly. I am fairly impressed at how well these contain the sounds I’m listening to, as well as shield me from the sounds outside. Although not billed as noise isolating, they do just that, only on a smaller scale.

[size=medium]Sound quality[/size]
97% of the time I listen to my ES7’s using my Cowon iAudio i7 mp3 player, the other times it’s with an old Panasonic portable CD player or at my work desk watching movies. I listen to mostly classic rock, some alternative, acoustics, very little house and trance, and some new rock. I let these play on my i7 for a couple days straight when I first got them, and I have personally listened to them for 30-40 hours so total time burned into these is near 100 hours currently.

Let me just say – that straight out of the box the ES7’s sounded “okay”, not great. After at least 60 hours of burn in the sounds changed considerably and for the first time I actually felt that “burning in” a pair of headphones made a difference. Every aspect of the sounds developed and opened up; highs, mids, and lows.

Highs – nice and clear, well punctuated, easily separated. High hats and cymbals sound clear as a bell. Vocals are crisp and detailed, absolutely no complaints here. No recessed highs here, no sir. Up front and sharp.

Mids – Also clear, very slightly recessed compared to the highs but you would have to really focus on finding this out. Male vocals like David Gilmour, Johnny Cash, Gene Simmons, and Scott Weiland sound bad ass. Easily my favorite male vocals to listen to on the ES7 are Kenny Wayne Shepherd. Very, very lush and in your face clarity. Nice and warm, as if you were standing right in front of him. Check out the song “Blue on Black” by KWS and tell me that doesn’t sound just beautiful. Even female vocals sound rich and textured on these. Sheryl Crow, Bjork, Tori Amos, just to name a few. I LOVE to play “Today” by Jefferson Airplane and melt away in Grace Slick’s voice. *swoon*

Bass – Not bad. I get deeper and more lush bass from my Klipsch Custom 3’s I think, but un-amped the ES7’s are pretty decent. They are by no means jaw rattling, eyeball shaking bass phones but for their size, and the price, I think most people would find the lows adequate. The real lows are there, just not as often as I’d like to experience them. For example, the beginning 15 seconds on Trick Daddy’s song “Nann Nigga” pumps out some really low frequencies, and the ES7s do a nice job and relaying them.
At louder volumes, the mids and bass tend to blend together, but it’s not a mess. By “loud” Im talking volume levels of 25+ on my 40 scale i7. Most of my listening is easily within the 16-20 range so I’m well below the messy stage. If you listen to mainly hip-hop, rap, or loads of electronic and prefer a more bass heavy headphone, these might not be for you. Aside from the fact that they don’t surround your ear, the bass just isn’t punchy and deep compared to others. But then again, you’re going to pay more too.

Soundstage is nice and crisp, equally filling in both ears, I feel like I am right in the recording studio with some albums. Not on stage, in the studio. All in all I don’t have any real complaints about the sound qualities of these headphones. I wish the bass were heavier, but it’s not bad, and it’s certainly not “thin” by any standards.

Hooked directly to the i7, the ES7's sound good in all aspects and the i7 is more than capable of driving these with zero problems.

1f91eh.jpg

[size=medium]Enter the Fiio E5 amp.[/size]
I've only had the amp for about 10 days now and although it IS a very cheapy amp, it does add that extra "uumph" to the low end that a lot of people usually crave. The difference between amped vs. un-amped is minimal, but it is there. With the Fiio bass boost on it's very apparent there is some extra grunt on the low end, with the "flat" setting I can barely (if at all) tell a difference.

[size=medium]Conclusions[/size]
I think for those who prefer IEMs, and have a lot of money wrapped up in IEMs, and don't necessarily want to dump a bunch of money into headphones - the Audio Technica ATH-ES7 offers a nice compromise in sound, price, and looks. The fit is overall comfortable, the band seems sturdy enough and not flimsy, and they sound good even un-amped.

There are a couple discussions of these in the "full size" headphone forum, but honestly, these just aren't full size. They are very much PORTABLE. Also, there is some talk about "modding" the band to fit better. It's called bending the band, stupid, you're not "modding" anything. Bending and "modding" are two different things, just because you slightly change something by simply pushing on it does not constitute calling it a modification. When you do your laundry and your jeans shrink after taking them out of the dryer - did you "mod" your jeans? If you comb your hair with a brush, are you "modding" your hair?
rolleyes.gif
[/rant]

I know these are not "new" on the market, but I'm a firm believer that there's never too many reviews out there, at least not with audio equipment. Easily recommended for it's low price of $89.

May 1, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #2 of 39
Very nice review Ka-Booom, been interested in these for a while.

May 1, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #3 of 39
I have the ES7's and my impressions are pretty much right on par with yours. I have mine connected to the E5 also with bass-boost on and it makes a world of difference compared to um-amped in the bass department. I am very happy with mine, and I can gladly recommend them for the price that I got them for, $89 shipped.

May 1, 2009 at 11:09 AM Post #4 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by superfishal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the ES7's and my impressions are pretty much right on par with yours. I have mine connected to the E5 also with bass-boost on and it makes a world of difference compared to um-amped in the bass department. I am very happy with mine, and I can gladly recommend them for the price that I got them for, $89 shipped.

Were you also expecting them to be bigger when you ordered them, and surprised when you opened the box?

May 1, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #5 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by ka-boom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Because the reviews I saw online before purchasing mine all showed the ES7’s coming in a black “Earsuit” box, I thought I was shipped the wrong headphones because my ES7’s came in a two-tone white and grey box. But the more I looked around on google images I saw others with the same box, so I felt safer. The box has a manufactured date on it, so maybe the older ones were in the black box(?)

Mine was manufactured on 2008-10, and feature the black "earsuit" box. I guess it depends what market the ES7 were intended for (ie, the ones I bought are from Asia, the ones you bought, from the little I could see form the box, seems to be from AT-US).

Great review btw
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #6 of 39
Thanks for this review. Glad to see a newer one because I'm considering these as a portable can since the sennheiser hd228's let me down. I am worried about the bass on these though. Are songs with heavy bass still relatively enjoyable on the es7's?

May 1, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #7 of 39
I think the songs are still enjoyable, maybe I'm not describing it right.
The bass is very adequate, but if you're used to bass heavy phones these aren't in the same category.

Bass monsters like Pendulum sound friggin awesome.

May 1, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #8 of 39
Nice one, ka-boom.
ES-7s are always an enjoyable listen & I'm glad to have em (mine are white, just waiting for some stick-on rhinestones, lol) - I haven't tried the 7s with my new E5, but will have to line up a session. I'm on IEMs mostly so a headphone/amp bash will be fun for a change.

May 1, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #10 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by ka-boom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Were you also expecting them to be bigger when you ordered them, and surprised when you opened the box?

From the web photos I saw previously, definately. I was happily surprised at the size of these cans. Very portable, though a little uncomfortable with long periods of use. I agree with your sentiments that the bass is "adequate". Especially without an amp with some kind of EQ/bass boost. Bass is better with an amp, but still doesn't even compare to the punch/quantity/extension of my Monster Turbines.

May 2, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #11 of 39
I was seriously considering these but decided to hold off. Like you, I prefer IEM to full size, both for the sound and the portability, and I'll keep these in mind when I do want my next pair of headphones.

If you had to characterize the overall sound as warmer or more sterile, which would it be?

May 2, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #12 of 39
Thanks for the review!

I've been wanting to get these for a little bit now to compliment my IEMs (Shure SCL3). I have a XM4 amp, but I'm afraid the bass won't be sufficient for my tastes.

I like *a LOT* of bass... can you steer me in the right direction for some cans? I'd like to keep them sub $100, and at least somewhat attractive (I LOVE the looks of the ES7s).

May 2, 2009 at 11:57 AM Post #13 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by yumigator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you had to characterize the overall sound as warmer or more sterile, which would it be?

At first, right out of the box, I was greeted with a neutral, boring sound. Trust me, after some burn in time these come alive and now are nice and warm. Not cold and sterile at all.

May 2, 2009 at 11:58 AM Post #14 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattcube64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I like *a LOT* of bass... can you steer me in the right direction for some cans? I'd like to keep them sub $100, and at least somewhat attractive (I LOVE the looks of the ES7s).

Sounds like you should look into something like the Bose Triports AE. You can get them for less than $100. I've been in the Bose store and seen factory refurb selling for $89. They are very comfortable, and very bass heavy for such a small can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back