REVIEW: Audio-GD Roc
Apr 1, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #136 of 322
Bingo!
Thanks Peete :) Volume on the TEAC set to 35/63, volume on the Roc at 4pm --> No distortion! It doesn't sound great but it's decent. Much appreciated!
Last (n00b) question: will all this power coming from the ROC destroy the driver of the headphones?

Apr 1, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #137 of 322
Quote:

Originally Posted by realmassy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bingo!
Thanks Peete :) Volume on the TEAC set to 35/63, volume on the Roc at 4pm --> No distortion! It doesn't sound great but it's decent. Much appreciated!
Last (n00b) question: will all this power coming from the ROC destroy the driver of the headphones?

Your welcome,glad I could help.
smily_headphones1.gif

Your phones should be alright but observe some simple precautions. It's only long periods of time playing at high volume levels with something like a pink noise signal (that has all frequencies at once) that might stress the voice coils on the headphones into failure/meltdown. Regular music and it's related distortion is fine but only to a certain degree, best to avoid overloading input stages of your gear but that's a given. That distortion is clipping which is occurring on the ROC's input stage. It expects to see X amount or less of line level signal. If the amplitude of the signal exceeds the max V on the input stage that stage lops off the tops and bottoms of the sine wave. If it really starts to clip badly it'll start to look like a square wave which could cause issue with the headphone drivers. Besides that you'll hear it rather profoundly...it'll sound like crap. For the most part though as long as you keep the TEAC's preamp vol low your fine.

Peete.

Apr 2, 2010 at 4:58 AM Post #139 of 322
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I run the RCA's to my Woo Audio 3+. And yeah I knew the balanced output is solid state.

This is a great DAC though, my first true desktop DAC. Before I was using the X-CanV8P's DAC which is now obviously lacking.

I've been running a the DAC25.2 for almost a year now and love the sound. Great value. I run a Mullard CV2493 and it does a great job leaving nothing behind...

Apr 2, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #140 of 322
Quote:

Originally Posted by realmassy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quick question for Roc owners: today I switched it on after a couple of weeks, and listen to some music through the balanced K702 (they've been serviced by Drew of Moon Audio).
I've been listening to some fairly familiar albums and I've noticed a lot of distortion in the high frequencies, mostly on horns.

Realmassy,

I am also considering getting my k702 balanced by Drew with black dragon cable. I am wondering if its worth the hassle, i.e is it value for money?. I understand that this might not be an objective question but I want to know if you did notice the difference in the way your cans sound after they got balanced especially with Roc. I am considering Roc/Phoenix if I get my cans balanced.

Apr 2, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #141 of 322
The difference between balanced end SE with the K702 is not night and day. I found for example the DT880 changing more, actually the sound signature was very different.
I love the K702 so definitely I'm not objective :)
I've tried the K702 with SE adapter out of the Roc, and the sound was still good, but brighter on the upper mid, sometimes fatiguing. I noticed it mainly on trumpets and sax.
You can also check the frequency response graphs:
graphCompare.php

The bass improves a lot, but I don't listen to bass heavy music, so I can't honestly tell you whether the difference is noticeable or not. I can say the sound of the double bass in small jazz ensemble is brilliant: natural, warm, tight.
I decided to go balanced with these cans because I really love them and I'm a one-headphone-guy, though I use the Roc with the K240DFs (600 ohm) and the IE8s (16ohm) as well. I really wanted to get the best out of these cans, and I know I'll keep this setup for a lot of time.
Is it good value for money?
In my case I'd say it is: having listened to the HD800 I feel I'm not missing much with the K702. The Senns are better all-rounder than the K702, but with classical music and jazz the AKGs are there, and they're absolutely great with chamber music.
Even recabled and balanced they'll cost less than the half of the HD800.
But please keep you really need a good source: many people keep saying the K702s require good amplification, I'd say they require an excellent source as well.
Hopefully the new dac designed by Kingwa for the Roc will be out soon :)

Apr 3, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #142 of 322
Quote:

Originally Posted by geek101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Realmassy,

I am also considering getting my k702 balanced by Drew with black dragon cable. I am wondering if its worth the hassle, i.e is it value for money?. I understand that this might not be an objective question but I want to know if you did notice the difference in the way your cans sound after they got balanced especially with Roc. I am considering Roc/Phoenix if I get my cans balanced.

If you had (or acquired) a K701, you could just reterminate to balanced and save a couple of hundred unnecessarily spent bucks (K701 has a 4 wire cable where the K702 has 3 wires).

Apr 3, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #143 of 322
Since this thread has gotten pretty off-topic I thought I would post an update to my impressions of the Roc which has been in service several months now. I am really enjoying it- detail, black background, clarity are all excellent. Coming from the Phoenix before, I really feel like I haven't lost much (except maybe overall power and a better volume pot). HD650 from the Ref-1 and Roc is really impressive. Sound is 3 dimensional and bass is tight and punchy (as punchy as it can be with this headphone). I feel no need for any source/amp upgrades.

Apr 3, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #144 of 322
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since this thread has gotten pretty off-topic I thought I would post an update to my impressions of the Roc which has been in service several months now. I am really enjoying it- detail, black background, clarity are all excellent. Coming from the Phoenix before, I really feel like I haven't lost much (except maybe overall power and a better volume pot). HD650 from the Ref-1 and Roc is really impressive. Sound is 3 dimensional and bass is tight and punchy (as punchy as it can be with this headphone). I feel no need for any source/amp upgrades.

Do you find the HD650's sound slightly dark with the Roc/Phoenix?

Apr 3, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #145 of 322
Quote:

Originally Posted by nigeljames /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Nope....it has more to do with the cable used with the 650...if it's stock it's a bit dark but if it's a good aftermarket type the veil is 100% gone.

Peete.

Apr 4, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #146 of 322
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope....it has more to do with the cable used with the 650...if it's stock it's a bit dark but if it's a good aftermarket type the veil is 100% gone.

Peete.

Thats good to hear. I am looking to get the Roc to replace my Solo. I have heard how good the HD650's can get with my W6se and want to try them balanced but was concerned that with the Phoenix, and I suppose the Roc as well, being described as slightly dark that they would not be a good match.
I currently use the Silver Dragon V2 cable.

Apr 4, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #147 of 322
The ROC will surely be a huge upgrade IMO. It will have a on of power for those phones. Hell it easily drives the 600Ohm DT880 like no ones business.

Also the ROC excels with lower impedance headphones as well. It gives them oodles of current so amping is not an issue. Also the ROC will power the K701/2 no problem as well. It has enough output power and voltage swing to melt those drivers!

Apr 4, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #148 of 322
Quote:

Originally Posted by nigeljames /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't hear anything you could call dark- I hear as much detail as any Grado I have had, just presented differently. And no offense to Peete, but it sounds fine with any cable IMO (I use a DIY Mogami that I soldered directly to the posts on the drivers, to a 4-pin XLR, to the Roc). Everything is tight, airy and natural sounding.

Apr 5, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #150 of 322
I think it'll power them but it's hard to say 'till you try. I don't always rely on specs to tell me if they can be driven right.

So yeah my comment isn't that helpful.

All I can say is that my K702 which is a beast, is very easily driven.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back