REVIEW AND COMPARISON OF 21 HOME HEADPHONE AMPS add Yarland P-100
Jul 6, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #76 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dragon
This is a Sticky under the Amplifier reviews section

drarthurwells
The RCA grey glass 6sn7 (drarthurwells refers to them as black glass) make a great combo as a front (input) tube. The Raytheon T plates as the rear power tubes are sharp and dynamic with great bass. Those who find they are lacking bass on the AKG 701 need to try the RCA grey glass as the input tube. It also smooths out the midrange on the 701 which I have found to sound both shrill and lack bass fullness with the wrong tubes. If your do not have the Raytheons (make sure they are the T plate as Art advises) you can try new EH 6sn7, NOS Sylvania GTA short bottles or the stock Shuguangs but make sure the RCA gray glass is in the input position.

RCA did make a grey--a.k.a. "smoke"--and black glass version of the 6SN7GT. The former is translucent, the latter opaque like the National Union 6SN7GT.

Right now I have the Ken-Rad VT-231 as input w/the recommended Raytheons as drivers. I figured: if the K701 don't render bass with the Ken-Rad, then there just ain't no bass to be had, no how. Maybe I'm unduly biased by the chock-full-'o-bass Ultrasone Prolines, but I did not perceive--even with the Ken-Rad driver--that the K701 bass improved dramatically, or even that perceptibly.

An RCA 6SN7GT grey glass lies at the ready, however. God willing, I'll put it in next Monday, when it's safe not to blow the MosFETs. : )

Aug 6, 2007 at 10:41 AM Post #80 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about the Darkvoice 336i? : )

yes please
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 13, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #81 of 85
Darkvoice 336i v. Bada PH-12

The Bada (w/1x Sylvania 6SN7GTB & 2x Raytheon VT-231) sounds more open, extended, smooth and rich with fuller/deepr bass. 336i (w/1x RCA 6SN7GT grey glass & 1x RCA 6AS7G grey plate) does sound a little more punchy and vibrant, though,, but there isn't quite as much extension on either end, which makes it sound a little "smaller" than the Bada. Both do very well w/the K701, but if I were forced to chose one and only one of these two fine amps it would be, gasp! gulp!, the Bada. : )

Aug 18, 2007 at 8:04 AM Post #83 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Darkvoice 336i v. Bada PH-12

The Bada (w/1x Sylvania 6SN7GTB & 2x Raytheon VT-231) sounds more open, extended, smooth and rich with fuller/deepr bass. 336i (w/1x RCA 6SN7GT grey glass & 1x RCA 6AS7G grey plate) does sound a little more punchy and vibrant, though,, but there isn't quite as much extension on either end, which makes it sound a little "smaller" than the Bada. Both do very well w/the K701, but if I were forced to chose one and only one of these two fine amps it would be, gasp! gulp!, the Bada. : )

I like your tube combos very much.

Others:

The Electro Harmonix Gold 6SN7 is great with two Raytheon VT231 GT or just GT (with T plates not flat plates).

Tbonner1 clued me into using the EH Gold with two Chinese 6SN7 type tubes, another great combo. The Sylvania instead of the EH Gold is equally good for me.

Black Stuart cued me into using one Chinese with two Sylvania WGTA (or GTA) - another great combo.

The Chinese tube is quite good if used with the proper other tubes. I use a Sylvania 5Z4 rectifier with two 6SN7 type Chinese tubes in my home preamp to really good effect.

Note to all Bada 12 owners: Be careful changing tubes in the Bada12. You should not take a tube out until you allow power to dissipate from the power caps otherwise amosfet may short out (loss of sound in the channel of the shorted mosfet will occur). I wait until the amp has been continuosly off for 24 hours before removing/changing a tube. If you have a problem (no sound, one channel out) then turn of the amp and let it alone for 24 hours - then put in different tubes but making sure you line up the pin guide correctly. I have put tubes in wrong at times, lost a channel or lost sound in both channels, then waited 24 hours and carefully put the tubes in again to have the problem solved.

Nov 10, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #84 of 85
I entirely agree with tbonner1's amp review. Thank you so much for taking the time to write it. I love the Bada and Doge amps and I find myself craving the Bada amp slightly more than the Doge but they are both incredible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back