REVIEW AND COMPARISON OF 21 HOME HEADPHONE AMPS add Yarland P-100
May 24, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #63 of 85
Another nice addition to a terrific review. Great work.

May 25, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #64 of 85
Tom, just got the Bada PH-12 today and did a very cursory a/b with the G&W T-2.6F. The Bada was tubed with 1x 6SN7EH gold pin and 2x Raytheon VT-231; the G&W with 2x Russian 6H1N-EB.

The G&W gives a pristine, focused soundstage, with tone, timbre and harmonics tipped toward the lean solid state end of the hybrid spectrum. I did find the Bada to be more open and extended--without losing an uncanny ease and smoothness--in the highs, much more fully developed, tonally rich and textured in the midrange, with full, deep and articulate bass. Overall, I prefer the Bada, although I think the G&W betters it with respect to tightness and punch (but maybe with a leaner front tube, the Bada would win outright in every category).

If the T-2.6F is like a crisp, spicy and vivid (late) autumn day, then the PH-12 is like a fragrant, blossoming and pleasantly moist (early) spring day.

But it's as much a matter of taste as anything else. I really like the 6SN7, and the Bada brings out the best of these tubes. Another one of my favorite amps, the all-tube Darkvoice 336i, also uses the 6SN7 to excellent effect. The 336i is very close, musically, to the Bada, but the commanding, authoritative nature of the PH-12 puts it in an exemplary class of its very own.

POSTSCRIPT: The Bada synergizes extremely well with the Ultrasone Proline 2500 and 750, which was a critical discovery for me. Having heard from several sources that the Bada does not work well with low impedance Grados (32 ohm, I think), I was worried that it would also not work well with the Prolines (40 ohms). With the Bada, the Proline 2500 and 750 sound the best I've heard so far. What a welcome relief and wonderfully pleasant surprise!

May 25, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #65 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tom, just got the Bada PH-12 today and did a very cursory a/b with the G&W T-2.6F. The Bada was tubed with 1x 6SN7EH gold pin and 2x Raytheon VT-231; the G&W with 2x Russian 6H1N-EB.

The G&W gives a pristine, focused soundstage, with tone, timbre and harmonics tipped toward the lean solid state end of the hybrid spectrum. I did find the Bada to be more open and extended--without losing an uncanny ease and smoothness--in the highs, much more fully developed, tonally rich and textured in the midrange, with full, deep and articulate bass. Overall, I prefer the Bada, although I think the G&W betters it with respect to tightness and punch (but maybe with a leaner front tube, the Bada would win outright in every category).

If the T-2.6F is like a crisp, spicy and vivid (late) autumn day, then the PH-12 is like a fragrant, blossoming and pleasantly moist (early) spring day.

But it's as much a matter of taste as anything else. I really like the 6SN7, and the Bada brings out the best of these tubes. Another one of my favorite amps, the all-tube Darkvoice 336i, also uses the 6SN7 to excellent effect. The 336i is very close, musically, to the Bada, but the commanding, authoritative nature of the PH-12 puts it in an exemplary class of its very own.

POSTSCRIPT: The Bada synergizes extremely well with the Ultrasone Proline 2500 and 750, which was a critical discovery for me. Having heard from several sources that the Bada does not work well with low impedance Grados (32 ohm, I think), I was worried that it would also not work well with the Prolines (40 ohms). With the Bada, the Proline 2500 and 750 sound the best I've heard so far. What a welcome relief and wonderfully pleasant surprise!

Very insightful and valid remarks on the Bada 12 and G&W T2.6F. You are able to recognize the more subtle aspects of sound quality, as does tbonner1.

Your use of the EH gold in front and two Raytheon VT231 T plates with the Bada is one of my favorite combos.

Other good combos with the Bada 12:

One RCA GT (I prefer the black glass) in front and two Raytheon GT or VT231 with T plates (not the flat plates with a wide rib)

One RCA GT (I prefer the black glass) in front and two Sylvania W (not the WGT though)

May 25, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #67 of 85
nice review. i got some news about this amp. i heard/read about there will be a new verzion of p-100. bacially the same except thing. different design. i got this couple years ago. still going strong

May 25, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #68 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by fhuang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice review. i got some news about this amp. i heard/read about there will be a new verzion of p-100. bacially the same except thing. different design. i got this couple years ago. still going strong

I'm curious what type of tubes are you using with the Yarland.The export amp has two EL84 and two 6N3 tube types.Does your home Chinese amp have the same tube types?

Jun 11, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #69 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the recommendations, Art. I have an RCA 6SN7GT black glass on hand, but no Sylvania 6SN7W. Would you happen to have an extra pair lying around? : )

I have about 30 Sylvania W - See my PM to you.

Jun 13, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #70 of 85
Just as i feel Skylabs review should be a sticky,,so should this one.
Because of Skylabs reviews,im seriously thinking of getting a Corda lll ,or a Move amp,because of sound/price ratio.
But im still thinking and cant totally decide,but reviews like these sure help!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 30, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #71 of 85
Dragon
This is a Sticky under the Amplifier reviews section

drarthurwells
The RCA grey glass 6sn7 (drarthurwells refers to them as black glass) make a great combo as a front (input) tube. The Raytheon T plates as the rear power tubes are sharp and dynamic with great bass. Those who find they are lacking bass on the AKG 701 need to try the RCA grey glass as the input tube. It also smooths out the midrange on the 701 which I have found to sound both shrill and lack bass fullness with the wrong tubes. If your do not have the Raytheons (make sure they are the T plate as Art advises) you can try new EH 6sn7, NOS Sylvania GTA short bottles or the stock Shuguangs but make sure the RCA gray glass is in the input position.

Jul 6, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #73 of 85
Please let me know what home headphone amps you would like to see added to this comparison.

Up for consideration is the Singlepower Squarewave, Corda Opera and a Harman Kardon receiver that is said to have a good headphone output.

Jul 6, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #75 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please let me know what home headphone amps you would like to see added to this comparison.

Up for consideration is the Singlepower Squarewave, Corda Opera and a Harman Kardon receiver that is said to have a good headphone output.

How about the Darkvoice 336i? : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back