[REVIEW]: AKG K141 Studio is home, and that's GOOD!
Feb 6, 2005 at 7:22 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
This mirrors precisely my findings as coming from K141S to HD650.

The HD650 has that amazing brightness-extension just-on-demand that the K141S can't really afford, limited as it is (in such comparison) in both ultimate extension and ultimate clarity. But it's one fourth the price...not to be forgotten.
Still, it can be musical, caressingly sweet
tongue.gif
but with ready transients, and not dark to my ears - in fact I find it brighter in the midrange than HD650.

Quote! I've found brass to come out from the K141 more clear than with the HD650... that's absurd because the HD650 is clearly brighter in the upper region (but only when it's needed
biggrin.gif
)... but that's what I'm hearing... But ultimate clarity, the breathe, the widht and dept of the headstage of the HD650 are impossible for the K141... but that's not a correct comparison... different class of headphones.

Probably with the K240S the comparison with the HD650 will be not so obvious...
biggrin.gif

Andrea

Feb 6, 2005 at 7:24 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

musical... sweet... ready transients

The sound of the K141S is in these words.
wink.gif

Feb 6, 2005 at 7:32 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by amartignano
The sound of the K141S is in these words.
wink.gif

You flatter me!
smily_headphones1.gif
tongue.gif

Feb 7, 2005 at 10:29 AM Post #19 of 27
I've made more listening sessions and I've found interesting things: the AKG K141Studio bring all the sounds, also the more little ones, clearly to the ears, more than the HD650 (yes!). And they make this without issues in the soundstage wich remains correct. But you can ear things that normally are masked. Yesterday I've been listening to Orff's Carmina Burana in the beautiful interpretation of Jochum with the Berlin Choir and Orchestra (1968), recently remastered by Deutsche Grammophon, a very good analog recording. I can distinguish the different voices in the choir more clearly than with the top Sennheisers. The K141 bring the sound near you, while the HD650 has a more correct imaging... probably the K141 has an uncorrect stage, but it's so fascinating... I've found also the attack and release of transients and sounds more clear. Am I deaf?!?!?!? No, because now I can hear the cut that sometimes the sound engineers make at the end of the cds before the last reverb dies, that is not so clear with the HD650.

I have to made more accurate listening sessions, this is getting interesting.
biggrin.gif

Andrea

PS. however the HD650 remains the best, the K141 does not have their transparency and air... but the K141 tends to give more emotions, underlining some sounds in a very musical way. I'm getting more and more curious about the K240S... and if the K240S will come out better than my HD650?????
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eggosmile.gif

Feb 7, 2005 at 11:25 AM Post #20 of 27
I'm loving this thread. I need some cheap AKG's for my collection and this is great.

Edit: I'm thinking of getting the k240s as the AKG headphones for my collection.

Feb 7, 2005 at 12:36 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
I'm loving this thread. I need some cheap AKG's for my collection and this is great.

Edit: I'm thinking of getting the k240s as the AKG headphones for my collection.

I remember that in the hi-fi italian magazine SUONO of 1996 the AKG K240 was classified at very high position, near Jecklin Float electrostat, Stax and Grado Rs-1...

It's "surprising" to find the K240, not so popular here in headroom, very close to the best. Well... the classification was made by one person (Moroni) so it's kinda subjective, but still interesting results... I have to try them!

Bye
Andrea

Feb 7, 2005 at 12:41 PM Post #22 of 27
Andrea- Very interesting remarks! Anyhow, I have to say that after having acquired (and having extensively burnt in ...) the HD650, I haven't felt any particular curiosity for an AB comparison; I put the K141 to rest in a safe place
tongue.gif
and nothing. I mean, I like the HD650 so much more, and find it more involving too; so, I do really think that we have each an entirely individual sense of involvment. The K141S were 'suave', but didn't cut it with the music I listen to the most.
Though I think that my amp may well have had its influence, with its own mildly bright 'n light sound nature.

Feb 7, 2005 at 12:46 PM Post #23 of 27
Oh, I'll confirm: the K240M 'was' a great 'phone. It sure had an enviable balance and great detail, if less musical (but veery natural and transparent)mids than their evolved 'S' brethren.
If only I had them still... lately I've had the feeling that I may like them better than the K141S.
eek.gif

Feb 7, 2005 at 1:23 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

I mean, I like the HD650 so much more, and find it more involving too; so, I do really think that we have each an entirely individual sense of involvment. The K141S were 'suave', but didn't cut it with the music I listen to the most.

I can be more precise: surprisingly I like the AKG K141S a lot with classical music (it's NOT better than the HD650, of course, but tends to give me more emotions in some moments of the music piece, maybe because of the slightly bumped mid-bass and the proximity of the instruments... neutrality it's not the holy grail in hi-fi IMHO...), while the HD650 gives better emotional sound than the K141S with rock and pop and things like this. The "shy" highs of the AKG K141S does not seem to have the right aggressiveness for this kind of music.

Ciao!
Andrea

PS. The HD650 is clearly better, but for some stupid reason I can't understand, when I come home I want to put on my head the K141S and listen to classical/symphonic music...
eek.gif
Maybe this "sensation" will disappear with time, when the AKG will be not a new entry anymore... or maybe not
eek.gif
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Feb 22, 2005 at 9:06 AM Post #25 of 27
Hi everyone,

after more listening sessions, I want to say something about comfort in the K141S. In the first listenings the material of the earcushions hurts little the ears, but they are strange... after a while they take the shape of your ears, and then they become very comfortable.

Moreover, I want to stress the fact that these cans need a good amp to not sound boomy and slow in the mid-bass range. But I love the "liquid" midrange and the shy but extended and coherent highs.

Bye
smily_headphones1.gif

Andrea

Apr 5, 2005 at 1:34 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by amartignano
The K141 Studio is a "new" headphone, and I don't know how they sound in comparison with the older K141 Monitor.

I have now also the K141Monitor, the old "monitor standard". Obviously I made a comparsion Monitor vs Studio. Briefly... the Monitor is less extended, less fun, more balanced. The bass is more controlled and stopped, but miss the "air" of the Studio version... instead, the bass of the Studio version are quite uncontrolled on most normal headphones out. The Monitor version is more "midrangy" (?!?
biggrin.gif
). What I prefer? Well... for the use I want to make of this headphones (monitoring, playback while recording...) I prefer the K141 Monitor. And also because sound balance is a must for me. The Studio version is more fun and probably better for simple listening for the most people. But I have to admit that in the same price range (in USA) there is the Grados, which are clearly better.

K240M coming soon...
smily_headphones1.gif

Bye
Andrea
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 12, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #27 of 27
bumping an old thread, cause I just got an AKG K141 Studio. Whereas they aren't as good as K240M, for example, they do a remarcably good job with portable devices! with desktop amps they sound a bit too muddy and detailless to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back