[REVIEW]: AKG K141 Studio is home, and that's GOOD!
Feb 5, 2005 at 4:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

amartignano

1000+ Head-Fier
Italy - Knife Edge in other forums in the world
[size=medium]AKG K141 Studio REVIEW![/size]

Hi everyone!

There's a new entry in my headphone collection... I've bought a "legendary" Akg K141, the Studio version, which is 55 ohm version of the classic K141 Monitor. In the past I've read very good things about this cans in magazines, so I've bought them for curiosity and even because I needed an "easy" headphone to plug in the keyboard or directly in the cd player. It had to be cheap, well constructed, durable and good sounding (warm, natural but also precise).

I've found the K141 almost perfect for what I want!

[CONSTRUCTION & COMFORT]:
the K141 Studio are very well engineered and builded, soon out of the box I was satisfied about my bought, these are very satisfying headphones at first touch (and also at second, third and all the others too).
They are sturdy, very good black plastic all around and gold metal for the semi-open (or semi closed
biggrin.gif
) earcups. I LOVE the self-adjusting headband, which is made of an extremely good quality leather-like plastic. And they are builded in Austria, not in a low-cost region. So the 100 eur I've payed for them seems surprisingly good. The earcushions (not the earcup!) can swing and adapt to the head. The cable seems very good, thicker than others, and it's single sided. There's a 3.5 mm mini-jack with an adaptor at 6.3mm that must be screwed on the mini-jack. All the headphone emanates quality. But the comfort is not as good... they are not terrible, but the material of the earcushions is not the most comfortable to rest on the ears. The pressure is not too much, but these are semi-closed supra-aural headphones, so the earcushions must press a bit to ensure the sealing. But comfort is an extremely subjective thing, so others can find the K141 very comfortable... I've found them comfortable enough for a normal listening session (one or two cds). They don't leak much sound, but they don't isolate from external noise (good for me).

[THE SOUND!]:
So cheap and well constructed... but how do they sound? Surprisingly good!!! The first impression (very important I think) soon out of the box was of a warm natural, yet detailed sound. They are not "perfectly" balanced, but they are very musical and involving. Probably the bass is the best thing, very deep, punchy, yet sufficiently "warm" and "rounded". A little bump around 100 Hz helps the warm sound, but that's good. Mids are sufficiently liquid and natural, there's a warm tonality in all the sound which helps to music to express out of the headphone in a very emotional way. The mid-highs and highs can be a little recessed, but they are well extended and linear, so they are still musical and reavaling. Cymbals sounds very natural, so triangles. I've found the transients of string instruments (like harp and classic guitar) to be very well reproduced and analyzed by these legendary headphones. These are both warm, natural and detailed in a good way. The harmonic reconstruction is also good, the timbre of the acoustic instruments is very natural and pleasing. They sounds good with rock and similar, but it seems to me that they feel better when claimed to reproduce classical music: the orchestra is full and powerfull.
Ok, they are not the Sennheiser HD650, which are overall better (obviously?) but I feel the sound signature of the K141 to be very good for my tastes. I'm wondering what a K240 can do if properly amped and driven: I'm saying this because I've found that the K141 seems quite happy to sound directly from a simple headphone out, but when you can drive them with a good amplifier... it's another story, they are very sensible to amplification. My Rudistor Rp3 fits perfectly the sound of the K141: it's quick and compact in the bass region, and very clear and extended in the mid-highs and highs, so it make a very good combo with the K141. The Joe Average sound engineer has to try his over-used K141 with this amp...
The soundstage of the K141 are quite good, it' not very out of head, but seems big and natural, with a sufficient sense of depth, where all the instruments are well delineated on a black-brown background.
The sound is very satisfying but there's a quite clear defect (comparing them in absolute way to top-end cans), sometimes the sound does not "open" enough and remains somewhat compressed, yet natural and pleasing, but you feel you want more room for the air to vibrate.
Not a very defect for the price.

[CONCLUSIONS]:
I can not understand why the AKG K141Studio are so underrated (or not considered) by the head-fiers community, I've tried a lot of headphone and I found the K141Studio to be very good soundings headphones, also very well constructed and durable. And cheap, I've bought them new in a normal store, but you can find these cans at very low prices. It's a 1974 design, but they are still actual, with a warm, natural, fascinating sound. Consider these headphones!

If the K240 shares the same sound signature of the K141 with more open soundstage and highs (and more comfort) I think they are wonderfull... one day I must listen to the K240...

The K141 Studio are promoted on my Reference Setup.

Bye
cool.gif

Andrea

Feb 5, 2005 at 9:40 PM Post #2 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by amartignano
I can not understand why the AKG K141Studio are so underrated (or not considered) by the head-fiers community, I've tried a lot of headphone and I found the K141Studio to be very good soundings headphones, also very well constructed and durable.

You have already mentioned it yourself, actually - comfort is the problem with the K141s. Personally, I can't stand the fit for a minute - it's a pity...

Oh, and yes, the K240S really is a nice headphone.
wink.gif

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Feb 5, 2005 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 27
Nice, accurate and non-ambiguous review Andrea!

As for me, I don't have a problem with wearing the K141S for rather long.
I do bet the Grados fare better in this regard
tongue.gif

As an 'aside', it'd be so nice to ever read about a comparison on pure sound quality between K141S and K240S...

Feb 6, 2005 at 3:51 AM Post #4 of 27
Thanks for the much awaited model review ! I always wonder how the other AKGs sound like, given the good sounding 271s. Especially the smaller ones 141 and 171 since they can provide competition to hd25. If you've tried 25 could you please comment if 141 are more comfortable ? I like hd25 but found my ears to be quite warm after a long time, even with velour pads.
frown.gif

Quote:

It's a 1974 design, but they are still actual, with a warm, natural, fascinating sound. Consider these headphones!

Slight correction, K140 were 1974 design, but 141 studio with xxl varimotion drivers (funny how AKG denotes tiny 1" driver as "xxl") were released almost 30 years later.

Feb 6, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Nice, accurate and non-ambiguous review Andrea!

Hey, praising oneself is not allowed here, Andrea.
600smile.gif

Glad to see you back online !

Feb 6, 2005 at 9:52 AM Post #6 of 27
Thank you Nak Man !
smily_headphones1.gif

It's really sweet to be oneself back again, no wonder I fell into the trap of self-praise.
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Feb 6, 2005 at 9:56 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

As an 'aside', it'd be so nice to ever read about a comparison on pure sound quality between K141S and K240S...

I hope to find a 240S to listen to... or maybe one day I can buy them... ("sorry for your wallet" someone said a long time ago...
biggrin.gif
), I'm becoming an AKG fan!

Feb 6, 2005 at 10:08 AM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
Thanks for the much awaited model review ! I always wonder how the other AKGs sound like, given the good sounding 271s. Especially the smaller ones 141 and 171 since they can provide competition to hd25. If you've tried 25 could you please comment if 141 are more comfortable ? I like hd25 but found my ears to be quite warm after a long time, even with velour pads.
frown.gif

I had the HD25Sp (same price range of the K141): they are more comfortable in terms of ear pressure, they press more in the inner region of the ear (hard), while the K141 press in the outer region, where the ear is softer.
But the 25sp can't stand comparison with the K141 in terms of sound: the HD25 is balanced, yes, but not linear, with peaks in the frequency response that make the sound too rough and not enough refined. The K141 come out to be a good refined headphones when listening to classical music [now I'm listening to the German Requiem of J. Brahms (Berliner Philharmoniker, Karajan]: the soundstage is a little small (as I've already said), but the sound is incredibly full and alive, warm yet detailed and extended. At a first listening the highs seems a bit muffled, but they are not... they are present, extended. I remember the HD25sp to cut the highs, giving a sound that's punchy, but shrill and not harmonically complete, because there's not enough harmonics to reconstruct completely the timbre of the instruments. For the comfort of the K141, it need to be settled on the head quite cearfully to avoid pain...

Quote:

Slight correction, K140 were 1974 design, but 141 studio with xxl varimotion drivers (funny how AKG denotes tiny 1" driver as "xxl") were released almost 30 years later.

Yes, I know
tongue.gif
, I was referring to the original design, from where the K141 studio comes... but I forgot to mention. The K141 Studio is a "new" headphone, and I don't know how they sound in comparison with the older K141 Monitor.

Looking for the K240S...
icon10.gif

Bye
Andrea

Feb 6, 2005 at 11:26 AM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

I hope to find a 240S to listen to... or maybe one day I can buy them... ("sorry for your wallet" someone said a long time ago...
biggrin.gif
), I'm becoming an AKG fan!

That's fine, if you have the opportunity !
What I'm questioning with myself, in particular, is if the 'sloped' (see Headroom) balance of the K240S actually feels so to the ears.
Because, the K141S doesn't seem to have such balance, apart from the hump around 100 Hz.

Feb 6, 2005 at 4:34 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
Thanks for the review. I had been wondering about the K141.

I want to precise that the AKG K141Studio are not headphones for everyone. In times where hyper-transparency, hyper-linearity (see Sony Qualias, Sa-5000, etc..) seems to be the holy grail for listening to headphones, the K141 offer a warm and musical presentation, that at the first listening can seem rather "dark", but it isn't. I admit that I like vintage hi-fi gear a lot, because of their appeal, but also because of the sound, the best vintage gear of the seventies maybe don't have the "audiophile" qualities of today gear, but they reproduce music with a loving musicality that is very difficult to find in today headphones (execpt flat-padded Grados
biggrin.gif
). I think that the AKG K141 Studio has the quality of musicality of old good gear with the dynamics and the extension of the new stuff. So probably is for the K240S.

Bye
Andrea

Feb 6, 2005 at 4:44 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

That's fine, if you have the opportunity !
What I'm questioning with myself, in particular, is if the 'sloped' (see Headroom) balance of the K240S actually feels so to the ears.
Because, the K141S doesn't seem to have such balance, apart from the hump around 100 Hz.

specsGraph.php

That's the frequency response of the K240S... but I don't believe much in the freq resp of headphones: there is not a standard and looking at them all headphones sounds terrible...
biggrin.gif
I believe in my ears...
600smile.gif

Bye
Andrea

Feb 6, 2005 at 5:28 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

the K141 offer a warm and musical presentation, that at the first listening can seem rather "dark", but it isn't.

Well I don't have 141s but I don't find the other AKGs, 271s and 501, as dark, imo they lean more toward the bright side. However, some details and extreme HF got lost in the presentation. On the other hand, some 'dark' senns seem to show detail and lots of HF extension whenever needed - and totally black when there's no treble content in the music. Just my observation.

Feb 6, 2005 at 7:15 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Well I don't have 141s but I don't find the other AKGs, 271s and 501, as dark, imo they lean more toward the bright side. However, some details and extreme HF got lost in the presentation. On the other hand, some 'dark' senns seem to show detail and lots of HF extension whenever needed - and totally black when there's no treble content in the music. Just my observation.

This mirrors precisely my findings as coming to HD650 from K141S .

The HD650 has that amazing brightness-extension only-on-demand that the K141S can't really afford, limited as it is (in such comparison) in both ultimate extension and ultimate clarity. But it's one fourth the price...
Still, it can be musical, caressingly sweet
tongue.gif
but with ready transients, and not dark to my ears - in fact I find it brighter in the midrange than HD650.

Feb 6, 2005 at 7:17 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

I think that the K141 and the K501, from what I've read in forums and magazines, have a very different sound.

K501: clear, maybe lack bass
K141: in a semplicistic way, the contrary

Of the all AKG's I've listend only to the K141Studio, so my impressions are only about this headphone and no other AKG.

Bye
Andrea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back