REVIEW: ACS custom tips + SENNHEISER IE8
May 1, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #196 of 369
Quote:

Originally Posted by ottoyu34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
aww.. you leaked the secret of customs.
icon10.gif

I start at 3-4 o' clock. Maybe you can try that too.

nooooooooooooo.... what did i do!?! sorry about that
wink.gif

don't worry tho. i wont tell them about the secret handshake until we see some pix
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #197 of 369
Just received the custom sleeves from ListenHear and they were not what I was expecting. First the shell. It was my fault for not confirming the type of shell, canal vs full. I was expecting a full shell as you see on their middle picture of their site, but their default mold is canal. Oops...
smily_headphones1.gif

ListenHear - Custom Earmolds for Headphones

Second is the type of material. Having only ordered customs once, I thought the materials were all the same...2nd oops. They have 4 types from least stiff to most: Proseal, EP, Biopore and Ultraflex. Because I wanted the black color, I automatically chose EP which is a softer type of material. The sleeves do seal for the most part, but the isolation is just not there with this type of material and mold.

I've already contacted ListenHear and they are doing a remake of the sleeves in a full mold and Ultraflex material. Again, customer service is excellent! I was to blame for not confirming the type of materials and type of mold, but they are not charging for a remake. I'm going to send them back these ones so they can recycle the material.

Here are some pictures of my original order:

p1010158c.jpg

p1010162c.jpg

p1010163.jpg

p1010164.jpg

May 2, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #198 of 369
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmiarka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just received the custom sleeves from ListenHear and they were not what I was expecting. First the shell. It was my fault for not confirming the type of shell, canal vs full. I was expecting a full shell as you see on their middle picture of their site, but their default mold is canal. Oops...
smily_headphones1.gif

ListenHear - Custom Earmolds for Headphones

Second is the type of material. Having only ordered customs once, I thought the materials were all the same...2nd oops. They have 4 types from least stiff to most: Proseal, EP, Biopore and Ultraflex. Because I wanted the black color, I automatically chose EP which is a softer type of material. The sleeves do seal for the most part, but the isolation is just not there with this type of material and mold.

I've already contacted ListenHear and they are doing a remake of the sleeves in a full mold and Ultraflex material. Again, customer service is excellent! I was to blame for not confirming the type of materials and type of mold, but they are not charging for a remake. I'm going to send them back these ones so they can recycle the material.

Here are some pictures of my original order:

p1010158c.jpg

p1010162c.jpg

p1010163.jpg

p1010164.jpg

This really got me worried..are all the materials mentioned considered as soft silicons? and by default is ep a soft silicon material?

May 2, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #199 of 369
Quote:

Originally Posted by bossnass15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This really got me worried..are all the materials mentioned considered as soft silicons? and by default is ep a soft silicon material?

ep is a softer silicon material. they offer the most colors in ep. i switched to the Ultraflex (which sounds softer, but this is the stiffest material), and it comes in clear or flesh color.

May 2, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #202 of 369
Quote:

Originally Posted by khtse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am complete new to custom earphones/eartips, what is the pros and cons for using soft/hard materials?

softer material tends to be more comfortable to wear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by younglee200 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my audiologist told me that it's just a matter of preference in comfort. I too ordered in EP (which is the second softest, and has the most colors.)

I looked up the material list. I believe the various material has different usage and affects on Sound.

May 2, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #203 of 369
So ajmiarka...what was your reason for wanting the hardest material. Did you read somewhere they sounded better/more comfort, or have you tried them before. Just asking cuz I want to order the right type for best sound and comfort. Decisions decisions!!! This price is just fantastic I think,., and I want to move forward on it...but want to make sure which route to go. Thanks...

May 3, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #204 of 369
Quote:

Originally Posted by Del Griffith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So ajmiarka...what was your reason for wanting the hardest material. Did you read somewhere they sounded better/more comfort, or have you tried them before. Just asking cuz I want to order the right type for best sound and comfort. Decisions decisions!!! This price is just fantastic I think,., and I want to move forward on it...but want to make sure which route to go. Thanks...

Sorry for the later response. I was out running the Indy half marathon yesterday...just getting recovered. :)

When I purchased the Freqs before, they had a hard material and I really enjoyed the fit and isolation.

The ep material just did not isolate enough for me and was comparable to the stock offerings that came from Sennheiser.

May 5, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #206 of 369
I have my impressions appointment booked with the audologist for Saturday. She's recommending I go to the doctor before hand to get my ears checked to ensure they're clear of wax.

I have been cleaning them with ear buds over the past few days and there's no more sign of any wax. I wouldn't expect the impressions to be taken deeper than "the first turn" so I'm tempted to take my chances
confused_face_2.gif

It's going to be a major pain to arrange a doctors visit as I'm working all week, did you guys do this ?

May 5, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #208 of 369
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have my impressions appointment booked with the audologist for Saturday. She's recommending I go to the doctor before hand to get my ears checked to ensure they're clear of wax.

I have been cleaning them with ear buds over the past few days and there's no more sign of any wax. I wouldn't expect the impressions to be taken deeper than "the first turn" so I'm tempted to take my chances
confused_face_2.gif

It's going to be a major pain to arrange a doctors visit as I'm working all week, did you guys do this ?

I normally clean my ears out a couple of times a week, so they were perfectly fine for the impressions.

If I were you, I'd give them a good clean out before going to the audiologist and I'm certain it will be fine and even if they were a little dirty, I'm sure they'd be able to give you some buds to do it there.

May 6, 2009 at 11:38 AM Post #209 of 369
Thanks guys. I think I'll have to take my chances. I can't get an appointment now anyhow. Hopefully they'll be good enough, I don't recall reading any posts of people being turned away by audologists
bigsmile_face.gif

May 6, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #210 of 369
ajmiarka, how soft is the EP material? Compared to, say, the stock silicon tips or the stock foam tips?

Do you think going from canal to full/half shell would improve isolation? After all only the canal part is plugged into your ears... Anyway, I am worrying that the full/half shell earmolds may cause the IE8 to stick out too much, unless they accommodate for the shape of the IE8 in the making process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back