REVIEW: ACS custom tips + SENNHEISER IE8
Apr 28, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #166 of 369
I want mini meets
frown.gif
Shame not many users I know live in Leicester or many near here.

Apr 29, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #167 of 369
I've been holding out on posting an IE8 + ACS tips review because I'd rather do it as a comparison versus my Westone 3 + UM56 tips, but still no word from my audiologist on the status of those darn UM56 tips. I'm pretty close to just posting a stand-alone review of my experience with the ACS tips on my IE8s so far.

-Ed

Apr 29, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #168 of 369
You may post some quick comments here and many others sure will thank you.

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 29, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #169 of 369
Well they are the best tips I've tried for my IE8s and I've tried a lot of different tips. The material isn't exactly rock hard, and feels comfortable enough for me that they'll usually, "disappear," after a while. My only issue so far is that I feel as though the sound is a wee bit bright for my tastes...imaging is absolutely astonishing, though, and otherwise the tonality in the mids and lows is just about spot on. Bass is tight, not boomy, and does not muddle up the lower mids. Vocals are very well focused. There's a good amount of air to the highs, too--the only thing is that I feel the overall tone is a little on the bright side. Still getting a feel for what source/amp would serve best to balance things out or would achieve the best synergy to my ears with this arrangement.

-Ed

Apr 29, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #170 of 369
Is your IE8 fully burnt in? I still found my improved treble around 310 hours.

Anyways, it's great that you liked them.

Apr 29, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #172 of 369
My IE8s probably have around 500 hours on them by now, if not more.

I can't judge for Westone 3; way different design, much smaller nozzle etc.

-Ed

Apr 29, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #174 of 369
I don't think anyone I've read on here so far as has had experience with both tips for the same IEM (e.g. nobody I've read so far has UM56 tips for Westone 3 and ALSO ACS tips for Westone 3).

So all comparisons would be apples to oranges in many ways (even my coming one).

-Ed

Apr 29, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #176 of 369
Which tips besides Sony can be used with IE 8 ? ^_^

Apr 29, 2009 at 9:55 AM Post #178 of 369
Quote:

Originally Posted by smallcaps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edward, you are using the Mustang with the IE8's?

Testing with:

iPhone 3G headphone out
Benchmark DAC1
RSA P-51 Mustang
Nuforce Icon Mobile

-Ed

Apr 29, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #179 of 369
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Ng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My only issue so far is that I feel as though the sound is a wee bit bright for my tastes

Hi Ed,

When you say they're a little bright, do you mean in comparison with the other tips you've tried ? I would have expected the better seal to result in a deeper bass.

Have you tried accounting for this by adjusting the IE8 "bass screw" or adding some eq ?

Apr 29, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #180 of 369
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Ed,

When you say they're a little bright, do you mean in comparison with the other tips you've tried ? I would have expected the better seal to result in a deeper bass.

Have you tried accounting for this by adjusting the IE8 "bass screw" or adding some eq ?

I have natural sounding bass now; seal is better, but because of the size of the tip bore and thickness of the tip (the IEM bodies sit farther out now) there is more air volume, which slightly reduces the bass impact/volume. Most universal tips with proper seal are too warm for my taste with IE8. I am sensitive to highs, hence the slightly bright (to me) presentation. Clarity and air are clearly superior to universal tips, though!

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back