REVIEW: A Novice's Take on Sennheiser's MX360, MX460, MX660, and MX760
Aug 12, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #46 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by a_tumiwa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how about the sound signature?? still as warm as mx460?? for some personal reason, i don`t like warm sound signature
smily_headphones1.gif

If you don't like warmth, then the MX760 may not be for you, as I find it to be warmer than the MX460. However, if what you're missing in the MX460 is detail, particularly in the upper range (which can be lacking in the MX460), then perhaps you should give the MX760 a try since it is more detailed overall, particularly in the treble region, and despite being warmer, they are also brighter than the MX460, if that makes any sense. The MX460 just lacks extension on both ends, and resolution throughout the range.

Aug 18, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #49 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jckund /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i ordered mine from VM Innovations on ebay and got them in today... I have to say that they sound incredible. Looks like I made a great decision.

Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm.

Also, welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet (but not this time
tongue.gif
)!

Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not surprised by good reports. I used to own MX500 and they were superb budget earbuds

Neither am I. What I am surprised at is how long it took for the MX760 to be "discovered" by Head-Fi, considering the popularity of Sennheiser's previous entries. But I'm not going to beat that dead horse again.
smile.gif

I do encorage (nee, challenge) Sennheiser to build upon this model and create an even better sounding earbud (without the cord issues). This thread is proof that there's still a market for decent performing earbuds, and I hope that Sennheiser, AKG, Yuin, and others continue to make great performing open alternatives for a long time to come.

Aug 24, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #50 of 115
Can anyone tell me what the isolation is like with the MX760? Looking for something open to use so that I can hear what other people are saying and carry out decent conversation even while my music is playing.

I've heard the KSC75 and think that's definitely the amount of openness that I want, though what I heard was partially because I couldn't get the KSC75 to be flat against my ears.

Aug 24, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #51 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjk1281 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do encorage (nee, challenge) Sennheiser to build upon this model and create an even better sounding earbud (without the cord issues). This thread is proof that there's still a market for decent performing earbuds, and I hope that Sennheiser, AKG, Yuin, and others continue to make great performing open alternatives for a long time to come.

but the earbuds market is not as good as IEM... i don`t think they are serious in this category
frown.gif
, they won`t create high-end earbuds
frown.gif

Aug 24, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #52 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by whypigsfly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone tell me what the isolation is like with the MX760? Looking for something open to use so that I can hear what other people are saying and carry out decent conversation even while my music is playing.

I've heard the KSC75 and think that's definitely the amount of openness that I want, though what I heard was partially because I couldn't get the KSC75 to be flat against my ears.

Isolation is pretty much nil on the MX760. As long as the volume isn't too high, you should have no problem conversing with others.

Quote:

but the earbuds market is not as good as IEM... i don`t think they are serious in this category
frown.gif
, they won`t create high-end earbuds
frown.gif

To be fair, Yuin seems to have the right idea. But it's also why I said that I challenge Sennheiser (as well as others) to make better earbuds.

Unfortunately, the pessimist in me believes that the market really isn't there for higher-end models, and arguably there will never be enough motivation by any company to make an earbud that competes with the best universal IEMs.
frown.gif

Aug 31, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #54 of 115
Sorry to bump my own thread, but I recently bought a pair of MX75s on the cheap. They're certainly better than the old MX55 that I used to own, but I feel that the MX90 is still more refined overall. What the MX75 does improve on is smoothness; I found the MX55 to be grainy, particularly in the midrange, and the treble extention wasn't as good. The MX90 still has better highs, and to my ears has less bass, which is a good thing considering that I find the 64ohm models to be somewhat slow when unamped.

That said, I think I still prefer the MX760 to all of them, though the gap between it and the MX90 is fairly slim.

Quote:

i dont like IEM
frown.gif

Sony never release earbuds lately

You know, the more I use IEMs, the more I realize that I'm not liking them as much as I used to. They will always have a place in my inventory though. However, it is unfortunate for those of us who don't like IEMs that the choices for alternatives are lessening year after year.

As for Sony: I'm not sure what they're doing. The E930 & E931 (entry level, I know) have been around since 2003 or so, and the E888 for even longer (1995/1996). If they didn't come up with something new by now, I doubt they ever will.
frown.gif

[size=xx-small]EDIT: 500 posts. Time flies indeed.[/size]

Aug 31, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #55 of 115
actually Sony release many daps this year, and will release new IEM, new Headphone, new portable headphone soon, but still no earbuds and headamp
frown.gif

i also doubt that sennheiser will release earbuds anymore because of the success of IE8

Aug 31, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #56 of 115
I need to do a review on my MX760...but still can't find a good half hour to do a writeup...but I like the airy bass more and more...very different than IEM bass...

Also, I think I'll pick up a pair of MX660s, since the 760 cord dies when I go for my 3-mile run or 10-mile bike route...but I've never liked Senn cables (the rubberized texture bounces around to much)..

Sep 2, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #57 of 115
Quote:

i also doubt that sennheiser will release earbuds anymore because of the success of IE8

That better not be the case. I'll make sure they continue making their earbuds!
evil_smiley.gif

At this point though, I would be happy enough if they just re-release the MX760. It would be even better if they improve it (long cable, etc.) and release an MX760-II.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need to do a review on my MX760...but still can't find a good half hour to do a writeup...but I like the airy bass more and more...very different than IEM bass...

Also, I think I'll pick up a pair of MX660s, since the 760 cord dies when I go for my 3-mile run or 10-mile bike route...but I've never liked Senn cables (the rubberized texture bounces around to much)..

I for one would enjoy reading your review.
smile.gif
Regarding the airiness, I find that the more I listen to the MX760, the more I believe that my ears prefer open headphones and earbuds over closed headphones and IEMs. There just isn't anything quite like it in a canalphone, at least from what I have tried.

Also, that's unfortunate to hear about the MX760 while running/biking. I see you're considering the MX660, but if you're like me, you'll probably find them to be inferior sound-wise. And the rubberized/elastomer cable is actually (believe it or not) and improvement over the harder and split-prone cables used in the older MX55 and MX75. I've had to have the former replaced via warranty, and I have yet to see how long the MX75's cord lasts.

Sep 20, 2009 at 10:05 AM Post #58 of 115
i'm on my way taking the mx760 as well, but suddenly yuin pk-2 seems to be very tempting...
could anyone make comparison between the mx760 and pk-2 for me?
or could anyone tell me the best earphone (non-iem) for my sansa fuze?
i prefer no amplifier needed...

Sep 20, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #59 of 115
I am a big fan of the MX500's. Down to my last pair though. I picked up the MX460's and I think they are ok, better than cheapo buds, but lacking in bass compared to the Mx500's and the Mx500's are not bass heavy themselves.

I'm going to pick up these MX760's though I had a pair of Sonys with a heavy cord which drove me mad. What are the MS760's like compared to the MX90/5VC? or the MX80 Sport? Or the MX760 vs PK3/PK2?

Great view BTW. Much appreciated.

Sep 21, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #60 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm on my way taking the mx760 as well, but suddenly yuin pk-2 seems to be very tempting...
could anyone make comparison between the mx760 and pk-2 for me?
or could anyone tell me the best earphone (non-iem) for my sansa fuze?
i prefer no amplifier needed...

Hey wavio! Welcome to Head-Fi!

Unfortunately, I have not tried the Yuins, but I can point you to ClieOS' http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/e...und-up-441400/ which is an excellent and concise comparison review, though he hasn't tried the PK2s either.

Speaking strictly of the Sennheiser buds, I find that the MX760 sounds great even unamped. The MX90 on the other hand could use some extra power, so naturally it sounds better amped.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a big fan of the MX500's. Down to my last pair though. I picked up the MX460's and I think they are ok, better than cheapo buds, but lacking in bass compared to the Mx500's and the Mx500's are not bass heavy themselves.

I'm going to pick up these MX760's though I had a pair of Sonys with a heavy cord which drove me mad. What are the MS760's like compared to the MX90/5VC? or the MX80 Sport? Or the MX760 vs PK3/PK2?

Great view BTW. Much appreciated.

Thanks for the compliment Sparky!

Interesting that you find the MX460s lacking in bass. The MX460s aren't bassy by any means, but they do put out enough provided that the fit is good and that the foams are used. The MX760s certainly have more bass, definitely more than neutral.

I should also remind you that the MX360, as stated in the review, sounds to me like a bassier MX500, so perhaps you could try those out as well as they should be cheap in your neck of the woods.

As I told wavio, I have not had a chance to listen to the Yuins, but if you check ClieOS' link above there should be a comparison between the PK3 and the MX760.

Also, here are some other comparisons between the PK3 and the MX760:

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmhaynes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From a couple of links sent to me, I picked up the MX-760 a couple of weeks ago. They are the most satisfying of all the MX series, and that would stand to reason. They have the full sound of the 560+660 and about 80% of the 660 superwide soundstage (probably too wide). I wasn't sure if I would like the short cord + extension, but it hasn't bothered me. I now sleep with these and have sold the PK3 which was just too mid-centric, treble shy for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fungi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I got the PK3 today (gj Head-Direct, that was fast) and have been comparing it to the MX760 for a while. I'm using the solid foam covers for both.

Basically, they're both rather good but the MX760 is a step above, with amazing soundstage for earbuds (PK3 has the "earbud" sound that's kind of stretched to both sides, not forming as coherent a soundstage) and less spitty/grainy treble. MX760 also has a lusher sound with a little boost in the midbass that I think works better.

The one problem I have with the MX760 is the short cord length (that only reaches to about my bellybutton) that forces you to use the included extension cord, which adds some weight that tugs down. Not the best to use on the go without a clip or something (or a neck strap for your mp3 player).

Summary: MX760 wins for me, except for the form factor. Awesome earbuds.

Here's my quick take on the differences between the MX760 and MX90:

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjk1281 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That leaves the MX760 and MX90, which each have their own strengths and weaknesses. The MX90 utilizes the twist-to-fit system (see ClieOS's excellent review for more info), and is the more balanced sounding of the two. I find it sounds great out of my Clip, with very smooth midrange, good treble detail, and sufficient (but perhaps lacking to some) bass. However, some DAPs may not have sufficient driving power to make them sound their best.

The MX760's sound has quite a bit more bass, much larger soundstage, and overall it's a more "open" type of sound. The bass is more abundant, the midrange more airy, and the treble is more detailed although it has less control. The MX760 is far less picky about sources, at least in my experience.

The MX760 is a warm earphone and the more musical/"fun" of the two while the MX90 is closer to neutral. It's really hard for me to choose between the two, but overall I think I may prefer the MX760, at least today.
tongue.gif

Recently, I also snatched a pair of MX75s, the previous version of the MX85. There may be some differences/improvements in the newer model, but overall I found that the MX75 is bassier with slightly recessed midrange and less detailed compared to the MX90.

Sorry for the long post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back