REVIEW: A Novice's Take on Sennheiser's MX360, MX460, MX660, and MX760
Jul 30, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #31 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjk1281 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the reason why the MX660 seems to have a larger soundstage than the MX760 is because of the recessed midrange, but that's just what I'm hearing. Of course, I'll take the MX760 over the MX660 any day.

'
I think my MX-660s may have been fakes. The cables at the Y split were severely crimped and the metal benders in the top of the leather bag split open after about 2 month use. Being fake might be the reason mine sounded like it has a super-wide soundstage -- almost like a concert-hall sound processor.

Jul 31, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #32 of 115
Just got mine in the mail today, the package of the earphones came as opened up, but everything look new and are not used before. I believe they are genuine because they sound better than my MX 550 which I have been using.

Before putting the ear pads on, they sound really bright, and lack bass.
But after putting on the pads, they sound really GOOD !
The bass is more punchy, the midrange (or maybe the highs?) are more laid back (please forgive my poor description).

I am very satisfied with the 20 dollars that I spent on these
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 1, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #33 of 115
Hot damn! My VMInnovations-sourced MX760s came in today, and I am very impressed straight out of the open-box package.
tongue.gif
Bass response is the best I've ever heard in an earbud. As in shockingly good. Mids are a little pinched and set back, but nothing unforgivable. For $18 shipped, these are a steal.

Aug 4, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #34 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmhaynes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
'
I think my MX-660s may have been fakes. The cables at the Y split were severely crimped and the metal benders in the top of the leather bag split open after about 2 month use. Being fake might be the reason mine sounded like it has a super-wide soundstage -- almost like a concert-hall sound processor.

Hopefully it was just a defective unit, but your description of the build quality may point to possibility of a fake. However, your description of the soundstage in particular is very similar to what my ears are hearing, so perhaps you were unfortunate and ended up with a lemon. In either case, you have the MX760s now.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ah_hin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got mine in the mail today, the package of the earphones came as opened up, but everything look new and are not used before. I believe they are genuine because they sound better than my MX 550 which I have been using.

Before putting the ear pads on, they sound really bright, and lack bass.
But after putting on the pads, they sound really GOOD !
The bass is more punchy, the midrange (or maybe the highs?) are more laid back (please forgive my poor description).

I am very satisfied with the 20 dollars that I spent on these
smily_headphones1.gif

Glad you like them ah_hin. I definitely agree with the use of the foam pads, as it makes a world of difference. The foams certainly bring out the bass, and I feel they actually increase the seperation between the midrange and treble. As you stated, they do tend to make the midrange slightly laid back, although I feel this makes them less fatiguing and enjoyable for listening for extended periods.

Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hot damn! My VMInnovations-sourced MX760s came in today, and I am very impressed straight out of the open-box package.
tongue.gif
Bass response is the best I've ever heard in an earbud. As in shockingly good. Mids are a little pinched and set back, but nothing unforgivable. For $18 shipped, these are a steal.

I agree completely about the bass response, although admittedly I have not heard the Yuins, Sony E888, or the AT CM700/700Ti. The MX760s are to my ears a very good overall package for its value price, and it's great to see that these are getting some attention, even though they are discontinued here in the US. Better late than never.
tongue.gif

Aug 4, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #35 of 115
After a few more sessions with them, my only complaint is the discomfort. It can actually get pretty bad with my ears, but the sound keeps me coming back...

Aug 4, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #36 of 115
Quote:

After a few more sessions with them, my only complaint is the discomfort. It can actually get pretty bad with my ears, but the sound keeps me coming back...

That's very unfortunate, but hopefully your ears will become accustomed to the housings over time. Personally, I find that the older MX500, despite its chunky design, gives me a better fit than the MX760, but thankfully I experience no discomfort, though I have a little bit of trouble keeping them in my ears at times due to their less bulky housings. Again, I would love to see the MX760 drivers in a twist-to-fit setup, but that too could cause discomfort to some.

Aug 9, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #37 of 115
Quote:

tongue.gif

x2 I'm very surprised at how these sound.

Aug 10, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #38 of 115
Firstly, I wanted to thank everybody for keeping this thread alive. I can't believe it's almost been two months since I posted this humble review, and never imagined that it would get this many replies. Thanks Head-Fi!

With that said, it still surprises me that these Sennheisers, particularly the MX760, didn't get any attention until just recently. For the longest time, the MX400 and 500, along with AKG's K12/14P, were pretty much the highest recommended budget earbuds, with Sony's E888 and the Audio-Technica CM7Ti (and later CM700Ti). But when the new Sennheisers came out, nobody even seemed to take notice. Granted, the Yuins have just emerged as the go-to brand for all things open and intra-aural, but it's almost as if nobody even wanted to try them. It's somewhat ironic that the MX760 is now getting attention despite being discontinued (in the US), but hopefully Sennheiser realizes the mistakes they've made, both in the premature discontinuation and some of the usage issues with the MX760, not to mention the strange handling of the MX lineup.

Now I'm somewhat interested in the new AKG range, particularly the K319, but it seems that AKG too is making mistakes, especially with pricing ($35 for the K311!), although they are thankfully taking cues from Sennheiser and making them available on Amazon and even Best Buy. Hopefully if these turn out to be excellent products, then they too should get the attention they deserve.

Aug 11, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #39 of 115
Pricing and the market swifting attention to in-ear are probably the two biggest issue that plague Senn. earbuds.

Never do I find Senn. earbuds to be competitively priced, even worst is the fact that their offerings are not even the best money can buy. I think they rely too much on their branding to do the work (which works well for their big cans and to the general public). People who dwell in this forum will just ignore the ads or beauty of the packaging and just go straight to either what sounds or priced best, which neither are Senn. strong point in the earbud business. Of course we (as demanding earbud user) are still too niche of a market for Senn. to pay any attention to, even though we do pay hundreds of dollar on earbud and amp

Recently got the K311 for $10 and I like it, but I am not sure I'll pay $35 for it. Would be great to try the K319 but local dealers don't carry it
frown.gif

Aug 11, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #40 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pricing and the market swifting attention to in-ear are probably the two biggest issue that plague Senn. earbuds.

As someone who enjoys the sound of earbuds, this saddens me the most. I realize there is a bigger market for canalphones and IEMs, but to my ears, the open sound of earbuds just suits me better (when done right). Someday, I'll have to get a PK1 with a good amp.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Never do I find Senn. earbuds to be competitively priced, even worst is the fact that their offerings are not even the best money can buy. I think they rely too much on their branding to do the work (which works well for their big cans and to the general public). People who dwell in this forum will just ignore the ads or beauty of the packaging and just go straight to either what sounds or priced best, which neither are Senn. strong point in the earbud business. Of course we (as demanding earbud user) are still too niche of a market for Senn. to pay any attention to, even though we do pay hundreds of dollar on earbud and amp

I definitely agree. I think this is a major issue with Sennheiser, particularly in Asia. The thing is, the Sennheiser name isn't as well-known to the average consumer as they like to think they are, and audiophiles and connoisseurs like Head-Fiers are not afraid to try unknown products in thier search for perfection.

Certainly, Sennheiser also is guilty of this in the US with many products as well; I think the MX90VC was MSRPed at something like $60 or $70 or something else truly unbelievable. I paid $20 for mine, and I think anything up to $40 would be a fair price. But $70 is just ridiculous.

Of course, Sennheiser is not alone. AKG charges $140 for the K518LE, which are just fancy colored $60 K81DJs. Audio-Technica charges $50 or so for the ON3, which can be purchased in Japan for under $20.

But in the past, Sennheiser (in my opinion) charged the right price for the MX400 and 500 - about $15 and $20 (MSRP) respectively. The MX760 was prudently priced too at $40 MSRP, with a street price on Amazon between $25 and $30. What really grinds my gears is the fact that, for once, Sennheiser prices something just right but stops offering the product due to perceived lack of demand.
mad.gif

Sorry about the rant, but it's just very frustrating when a company that is supposedly all about the sound just doesn't seem to get it sometimes. Changing the subject:

Quote:

Recently got the K311 for $10 and I like it, but I am not sure I'll pay $35 for it. Would be great to try the K319 but local dealers don't carry it
frown.gif

I look forward to your review! It would be nice to see you review the K319 as well, but availability issues...
frown.gif

Aug 11, 2009 at 8:39 AM Post #41 of 115
k319 is a little overprice, i prefer crossroad hr2. ClieOS, u live at malaysia, i think u are not that hard to get 1pc hr2 from jaben, singapore. it`s really worth.

Never try mx760, only mx360, mx460, and mx90vc, do u think the improvement of mx460 to mx760 is big??

Aug 11, 2009 at 9:36 AM Post #42 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by a_tumiwa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...ClieOS, u live at malaysia, i think u are not that hard to get 1pc hr2 from jaben, singapore. it`s really worth.

I know, linky.
smile.gif

Aug 11, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #44 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by a_tumiwa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Never try mx760, only mx360, mx460, and mx90vc, do u think the improvement of mx460 to mx760 is big??

Well, big is certainly relative.
wink.gif
To my ears, however, the MX760 offers more: better bass and treble extension, more bass and treble quantity, more soundstage, more detail, better imaging, and more "fun." Don't get me wrong - I feel the MX460 is a solid performer when purchased at the right price - but the MX760 just has a much fuller, more engaging sound that I really enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back