REVIEW: A Novice's Take on Sennheiser's MX360, MX460, MX660, and MX760
Feb 14, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #91 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjk1281 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got a chance to finally try out my new MX580s. First impressions are definitely positive. While I'm not quite sure whether I like them better than the MX760, I will say that the MX580 is very articulate, with a bass response that's similar in fullness to the MX760 but at the same time seems to be tighter overall. The midrange is smoother and more transparent, and the treble in particular is a bit more detailed. I still think the MX760 sounds slightly more organic, but these are just out-of-box impressions.

As for usability: the volume control is similar in size to the MX65's or CX250's, but the slider itself has a smaller range but is easier to manipulate. The inclusion of a shirt clip is also a nice touch, while the cord slider is also great, though it makes even more sense on the canalphone models.

Sound like what I heard. By now that transparency should spread out to the ends of the spectrum esp. as the bass further tightens and speeds up. The 471 became more "organic", to use your term, when that happened. Also, the bass got more punch as the driver loosened up and began to move more air. So, they should open up a bit and improve in the soundstage, have more punch, quickness, transparency, and detail. Very fun when the speed and pacing get better.

So, actually kjk1281 probably will need to start a new thread with his take on the MX270, MX370, MX470, and MX580
smile.gif

Interesting there are the rest X70 and the 580? I guess 80 means better as everything premium and expression is 880 or 980. Guess the 580 will top normal bud range as the MX680 is the sports line and if they make a 780 it would probably be in the premium line.

I will probably get the MX880 this week. BH drop their price $10 but JR has the "call for latest price" below the MX880. Newegg went to $60 then back up to $70. We'll see what this week brings as far as price.

Feb 14, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #92 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, actually kjk1281 probably will need to start a new thread with his take on the MX270, MX370, MX470, and MX580
smile.gif

...or may be a long overdue Sennheiser earbuds appreciation thread
wink_face.gif

Feb 14, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #93 of 115
These are really starting to sound quite impressive. Very good detail and quite airy, coupled with great quality bass.

One thing I noticed is that, at least to my ear, the MX580 sounds better with the rubber rings and foams. The MX580's housing appears to be much smaller than the MX*60 series, perhaps even the same size as the MX**1s, though I haven't measured the diameter myself. The rubber ring adds stability to the fit while allowing the driver to be positioned further away from the ear canal, creating an even wider soundstage. Absolutely brilliant. Strangely, the MX580 also came with the same rings that were supplied with the 64-ohm models; those weird rings that are supposed to create a pseudo-seal. I haven't tried those yet, though I'm pretty happy with the current ring/foam combo.

As for yet another comparison review: let me think about that. Perhaps after I offload some of my phones on the For Sale forum.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...or may be a long overdue Sennheiser earbuds appreciation thread
wink_face.gif

Now that's an idea I can get behind!
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #94 of 115
Definitely starting to think the Senn buds truly deserve an appreciation thread.

MX880 ordered! I called J&R and they beat the B&H price
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 16, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #95 of 115
I hope jant71 you can do a short review of MX 880 once you get it. I'm about to buy an AKG 319 for a nice price (36 EUR) or move to the expensier Sen's MX880 if their quality beats the competence in that range of price.

Feb 16, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #96 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely starting to think the Senn buds truly deserve an appreciation thread.

MX880 ordered! I called J&R and they beat the B&H price
bigsmile_face.gif

Awesome! Can't wait for your impressions!
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I missed your earlier comment about how the MX580 ends in 80 as opposed to 70 like the MX470. That's originally what persuaded me to go for the 580s despite the volume control. However, I'm still not entirely convinced that there's any gap in performance despite the name and the $20 difference in list prices, especially since my impressions of the MX580 are very similar to your comments on the MX471. I guess there's only one way for me to find out...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sohaimaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm about to buy an AKG 319 for a nice price (36 EUR) or move to the expensier Sen's MX880 if their quality beats the competence in that range of price.

Wow, that's a great price! If I could get them for that cheap here in the US I'd already own a pair.

Feb 17, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #97 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sohaimaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope jant71 you can do a short review of MX 880 once you get it. I'm about to buy an AKG 319 for a nice price (36 EUR) or move to the expensier Sen's MX880 if their quality beats the competence in that range of price.

Nice price on the K319. Senn and AKG are competitors and I'm sure Senn know how good the AKG earbuds are and made sure their "response" are better. MX880 is not top dog though, the MX980 is. The K319 is AKG's top dog. Based on Kostalex's review they will sound different. The K319 is clear, lively, and thinner sounding. The Senn's should be richer sounding and more bassy. You might not mind having both if they are so different.

Being a premium bud, I might start a thread on them, actually go out into better light and take some decent pics
wink.gif
. It will be too warm here to snow for the next week or so.

@kjk1281, there may be another explanation. The MXL570. The lanyard model is a X70. Though not sure if it will be a NA model. Not on Senn USA, only found it on the Senn Worldwide site.

I would bet there is a bit more bass, treble extension, and soundstage on the 580. Let us know
wink_face.gif
! Glad I bought the 471 though. It should still get use. I love the case in the dark red, no volume control, and the styling. Wish there was an MX881 that had that cable over the rubber one. Not that it stopped me from buying one.

Feb 17, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #98 of 115
start a new thread comparison?? it is good idea.
i want to create my own comparison too because i have so many earbuds, but too bad my english is not good
biggrin.gif

i just bought Cresyn EP800 for $75 . This earbuds are funny, you can choose between Treble mode or Bass mode

Feb 18, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #99 of 115
Well, after some more listening with the rubber rings on, it turns out that I actually prefer the sound without them.
tongue.gif
They seem to have a much more coherent sound with just the foams; in particular, I was hearing some nasty peakiness with the ring/foam combo, probably due to the drivers being just a bit too far from the entrance of the ear canal. This is probably for the better since the rings made the housing a tad too big for my ears, causing some slight discomfort. The change in sound, on the other hand, could probably be linked to some additional burn-in. (Curiously, Sennheiser USA's description of the MX580 specifies that it "sound great right out of the package." While true, it seems that they sound even better as they age.
wink.gif
)

In other words, it appears that experimenting with the fit of these new Senn earbuds is well worth the effort to achieve the best sound.

If anyone's interested, here are a couple of pics that illustrate the difference in housing diameters between the MX760 and MX580:

357km4w.jpg

20kqflz.jpg

Mar 5, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #101 of 115
Man, when will these hit Asia? I am finding myself enjoying more earbuds lately (*just got K319 last week).

Jun 22, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #102 of 115
Hi, I am looking to get a new set of headphones (previously just used what came with my audio player). This review seemed very interesting and I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice. I have been looking at:

AKG K319
Sennheiser MX 880
Sennheiser MX 760

Thanks in advance.

Sep 19, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #103 of 115
is the cord of MX 470/471 the same? I mean plastic coating not rubber? And, is the size difference really huge? I'm not sure which one to buy, but on sennheiser's website the mx 471 says it's "Ergonomically-designed for ladies"?? Thanks!

Sep 19, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #104 of 115
The MX470/580 and MX471/581 cables are different.  The former uses a regular rubber-coated cable, while the MX471 and MX581 use the plastic coating.

Here's a quick and dirty pic I took a while back that illustrates the differences in size between the housings of the MX471 and MX580:

Also, I wouldn't be too concerned about the "designed for ladies" marketing silliness.  I'd just choose whichever one you think would fit your ears better (though there may be some differences in sound as well).

Sep 19, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #105 of 115
Thank you very much! I wish I have the chance to try them both first before buying... I really want the MX471 for its plastic coated cable but worried that it maybe too little for my ears.. Don't have very big ears though.... : |

Users who are viewing this thread

Back