[REVIEW] 18 IEM reviewed and compared!!! (Final update NOV 2, 08)
Nov 28, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #302 of 335
Thanks for the review, hope you include the new Westones 3s in it at one point, i am curious about those. You hit the nail on the head with the ones that i have experienced. I got the complys for my Triple-fis immediately and lucky that they fit me well, i can see how some may have an issue with them though.

Dec 6, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #303 of 335
I am not a big fan IEM's but I have Head-Direct RE1 with their ampfilier EF1. I tried a few portable amps with RE1 and RE1 was underpower, with EF1 I can say it is simply amazing sound, I am more than happy and if I didn't hear this combination I wouldn't believe that sound of in-ear can be so good and possible , slightly airy!, wide field, nice colour of instruments, deep bass, dynamic, details and vocals are perfect readable, smooth higher, warm sound but clear...I really enjoy it
biggrin.gif

I'm very curious on MS-Pro with EF1.

Dec 9, 2008 at 11:18 AM Post #304 of 335
[OPENING] I would first like to thank ClieOS cause I am following in suite in his reviewing style.

[Important] This review is on subjective term. Your opinion, music, and what you hear may be different. This is just me telling you what my experiences are!.

Reviewing gear: iPod Classic 160gb, Steven Kelby made 22g Cryo Copper/Silver LOD, Headamp Pico.

Earphones: Westone 3, and Triple Fi 10 (soon)

Lossless ALAC Tracks: selections from Delta Goodrem, Linkin Park, Imogen Heap, Enya, System of a Down, 30 Seconds to Mars, Armin van Buuren, Mozart, Pink Floyd, Within Temptation, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin – I have tried to encompass a wide variety of music

Rating: From one star (★, lowest rating) to five stars (★★★★★, highest rating), including half a star (☆). Criteria include [Packaging / Build Quality / Accessories / Isolation / Microphonics / Comfort / Soundstage / Sound Quality / Value]

★★★★★-The best
★★★★---Really good
★★★-----Average
★★-------Just OK
★---------Not worth it

[size=medium]Westone 3 (2008)[/size]
westone3.jpg

Variation: UM3, W3
Transducer: 3-Way Balanced Armature
Spec: 30Ω (@1kHz) | 20Hz~ 18kHz | 107dB SPL |
Cord Style: Y-cord, ~50” (1.5m)
Mini Jack Style: Gold plated L style, heavy build.
Eartips Used: Shure Olives (small)
Packaging: ★★★★★ (very nice, small and neat, no psycho packaging to rip through)
Build Quality: ★★★★☆ (heavily build, nice plastic, seems strong, worried about ‘stem’)
Accessories: ★★★★☆ (everything you need is included, mediocre case)
Isolation: ★★★★☆ (this is subjective to the tip you use)
Microphonics: ★ ★★★★ (over-the-ear style, no microphonics)
Comfort: ★★★★★ (light cable, dependant on tips, Olives are very comfy, W3 sits nicely in ear)
Soundstage: ★★★★☆ (nice spacious)
Sound Quality: ★★★★★ (very musical, and enjoyable)
Value: ★★★★☆ (sound fantastic, but are v pricey)

Remark: After waiting for over a year, they finally were released. The Westone 3’s were worth the wait. Westone have always been the most comfortable earphone I have used, and the Westone 3 are now the most comfortable earphones I have used, alongside one of the most magical sounding. Delta Goodrem’s voice has never sounded so lush and silky soft (like velvet in my ears), I have never heard my favourite artist in such quality. I put on a Diana Krall (mp3) and was blown away, the plucking of the bass strings was impressive, and her voice hits some wonderful notes. It was evident from examining female vocals the lush highs and mids this earphone offers. Despite some fellow Head Fi’ers finding concerns with the mids, I am quite impressed by what the W3 produces.

For the bassheads, I listened to Rammstein, and some techno and trance to experiemtn with the bass response, quality and quantity. I have to say, that the quality of the bass if astounding, however, I do find at times the W3 is somewhat lacking in bass. Unlike the Triple Fi 10 which (in my opinion) is quite a bassy earphone, the W3 is more quality over quantity, whereas TF10 is a bit more equal.

Overall Ranking: ★★★★☆ (the price and the silly case let's it down, also the fact that I needed to use Shure tips as well)

Nevertheless, I am quite happy with my purchase (for now). I will (near the end of next week) do a full-blown comparison of my earphones, but at the moment tied up writing a Valedictory Speech for my graduation. Until next time, keep enjoying your music.

Dec 11, 2008 at 11:58 AM Post #307 of 335
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(...) Great Review (...)

Nevertheless, I am quite happy with my purchase (for now). I will (near the end of next week) do a full-blown comparison of my earphones, but at the moment tied up writing a Valedictory Speech for my graduation. Until next time, keep enjoying your music.

Thanks for the review. I see that you also have some ER4P.

Question: Is there something in the Etys that the W3 wont do?

Or in other words: For a absolute ety sound lover (me), are this new Westones a enhance or will I miss something?

I had the UM2, great phones but needed so much fix in the eq to make them sound as I liked (kinda etys), but they were able to do it!

And compared with some apuresound cabled er4p?

Dec 12, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #308 of 335
Quote:

Originally Posted by countach /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Or in other words: For a absolute ety sound lover (me), are this new Westones a enhance or will I miss something?

I had the UM2, great phones but needed so much fix in the eq to make them sound as I liked (kinda etys), but they were able to do it!

I was also wondering how they would compare with an apuresound-recabled ER4p^^

Dec 12, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #309 of 335
feedmetrance why is the price a downside if the earphones are so good??

i mean considering the price of customs a universal that great is surely worth a little higher asking price no?

is it a case of they are great earphones but not worth the asking price? and if they are worth the asking price then the price is not a downer surely.

Dec 12, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #310 of 335
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
feedmetrance why is the price a downside if the earphones are so good??

i mean considering the price of customs a universal that great is surely worth a little higher asking price no?

is it a case of they are great earphones but not worth the asking price? and if they are worth the asking price then the price is not a downer surely.

i think they're a tad bit overpriced imho, but then again I think that with Shure as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeTrun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was also wondering how they would compare with an apuresound-recabled ER4p^^

i dont own apuresound cable, again, another overpriced item

Quote:

Originally Posted by countach /img/forum/go_quote.gif

totally different earphones. it's very difficult to compare them as their apples and oranges. so i really cant say much apart from that er4s are much more brighter, colder and analytical. the westones are just fun!

Dec 14, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #311 of 335
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i dont own apuresound cable, again, another overpriced item

Might be, but you have not heard it.

Dec 14, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #312 of 335
actually antony, i have heard it. i borrowed the APS cable back in July from webbie64. It did sound good, but in my opinion wasn't worth the high price tag. I also think it required a bit more burn in to reach it's full potential.

Dec 14, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #315 of 335
Yes.
smily_headphones1.gif
I bought a pair and it should be here within the incoming week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back