REVIEW – Audeze LCD-3 planar magnetic headphones
Nov 1, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #61 of 533
Absolutely, and I made no value judgements.  I completely agree that only any individual buyer can make such a judgement.

Also, I encourage you to differ with my opinion of the LCD-3.  Please do, if that's how you hear it.  But your saying my review is hampered by the quality of my electronics is simply untrue, and so sure, it touched a "nerve".  My electronics are more than capable.  Just because YOU prefer something else does not mean that I didn't hear the LCD-3 well.  

And again, for the record, I did point out shortcomings with the LCD-3's soundstaging and suggested that people who prioritize soundstage should look elsewhere.  Perhaps you missed that.

So let your opinion of the LCD-3 fly, please.  That's all good.  But disparaging my gear isn't justified or warranted just because you prefer something else.

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #62 of 533
skylab, thanks for sharing your thoughts on the LCD3. your level-headed and
easy to follow writing is a pleasure to read. not to mention it's as objective as you'll find
on these forums; hence i put more weight on your write ups than most others.

one lingering question: how does the mids compare to the lcd2rev1 overall? i have the
rev1 and the rev2 and feel the rev1 is slightly more juicy, or should i say the rev2 is just
ever so slightly drier than the rev1. how does the lcd3 compare to the rev1? thanks in
advance.

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #63 of 533
Skylab, thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough and thoughtful review.  I think a lot of people were waiting for your review with baited breath, dreading (or in some cases, hoping) that you would expose some fatal flaw in the LCD-3s--kind of like what you did with the Ed. 10s.  But...nope, you just confirmed the majority of the early impressions:  This headphone appears to have substantially improved upon the LCD-2s in every way.

I sold my LCD-2s on the expectation that the 3s would improve upon the three areas that I found most lacking on the 2s (on my equipment):  The lack of comfort (due to the clamping pressure), a lack of soundstage dimensionality, and a somewhat polite treble presence.  Based on your review, it seems that the latter 2 have been addressed to some extent, but what about the clamping pressure?  You say that you find the pads much cushier and more comfortable, which sounds promising, but do you feel any excessive force on your cheeks or jawbones during long listening sessions?  Some people have said that the headphone is too heavy, or that the headband causes the headphone to slide around on one's head.  Have you experienced any of these problems, or do you see it possible that a significant number of people will?

Also, I hadn't really considered the Audeze Edition DAC/Amp before because of its choke-inducing pricetag, but your extremely favorable view of it makes me think it should be on my "end-game" equipment list (if there ever really is an "end" to this hobby).  Can you specify which input(s) you used on the Audeze Edition, and is there a significant difference between them (especially USB vs. Coax)?  If you've reviewed this unit separately somewhere, can someone please link me?  And how does it sound with your Edition 8s?

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #64 of 533
I agree with Rob's review, but I'll mention that source and amp drastically change these headphones (just as others do), so finding the best synergy is still going to take some work. For me, the Darkstar from RSA is a clear winner against all other amps I heard the 3s on, not even close. While the tone, bass quality/quantity, timbre, etc were all excellent on all of the amps, the Darkstar was the only one I could get a crystal clear center image and holographic soundstage from. Some of this I'm sure was from the Boulder source, but most was from the Darkstar and being balanced instead of unbalanced (like the other amps). The HE-6 I listened to on this combo were also similarly different than any amp I heard the HE-6 on (and far better than I'd heard before).

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #65 of 533
@takezo - I did not find the mids on the LCD-3 to be drier than the rev1 LCD-2.  In fact in terms of tonality I thought the mids were very similar to my rev1.

@djnellie - the LCD-3 are much more comfortable than my early LCD-2.  I don't find the pad pressure to be an issue.  But the LCD-3 are not setting any benchmarks for comfort.  I gave them three of a possible five starts in my review.  They are heavy.  This has not bothered me at all, but I also use the HE-6 rregularly which is also heavy.  Weight is OK with me If distributed well.  my main issue with the original LCD-2 was the very firm pad and the relative lack of headband padding.  The 3 is an improvement on both.  But still, there are definitely more comfortable headphones.

I think the RWA AE is very good with the LCD-3, but of course there are other good options.  I use the optical input exclusively.

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #66 of 533
Ok, thanks.  Have you tried any other headphones with the Audeze Edition, and if so how do they sound?  Your review gave me the crazy idea that I could sell most of my equipment and (with some more cash) be able to afford the AE, but is it the best DAC/amp combo you've heard for the LCD-3 at its price?

I wonder if your review will cause a flood of used LCD-2s to go up for sale.  I didn't want to find out where that market would bottom out, so I bailed early.  Looks like I'll be very happy whenever I get the 3s in my hands. 

Speaking of which, has anyone heard whether Audeze is on track for the 11/11 ship date, or how many they will be able to ship then?  Does anyone know when the payment requests will be sent out?  Apparently, retailers are not getting them until December.

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #67 of 533
I haven't heard enough total amp/DAC combos to make any sort of "best" kind of judgement there, even to my ears, which are different from yours.  The RWA AE was competitive with my AVA DAC/Leben combo, and the latter pair is even more expensive. Different, though.

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #68 of 533
If the Audeze Edition RWA I heard at RMAF was the same unit you are referring to that is both amp and DAC (which would explain why I couldn't find a DAC in the chain) then I rated it 4th out of 5 amps I heard the LCD3 with. These are initial impressions only, but I'm a pretty fast (and accurate) judge of sound. My results from all other combinations I tried mirror many of the postings I've seen since with only a few exceptions, and also excepting the center focus issue many people seem to not find relevant at all, but is my most critical aspect.

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #69 of 533
@ skylab

I sold my LCD2 r1 quickly because it was too heavy and the leather pads clamp too hard, but now you said the LCD3 is more much comfortable, I might have to give it another try
biggrin.gif

@ sachu,

Please go elsewhere and post your review of why the LCD3 isn't "the bees knees" (whatever that means). Don't pollute this thread!! 
angry_face.gif

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #71 of 533
thanks for the review. i want one that's for sure.
have the woo WA5 LE so i guess the amp is good enough.
have a HD800 so that one has to go if it is as good as you say it is.

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #72 of 533
Quote:
Sachu, we all know how much you love the Liquid Fire, but just because I have different gear, doesn't make the LF "better".  It's fine for you to think so, but that does NOT give you the right to call my very clearly high end headphone gear inadequate.  And I can assure you that to my ears (and several other pairs of people I know) my Audio by Van Alstine Vision Hybrid DAC beats the pants off the Assemblage 3.1, since I have heard them both.  

I would appreciate your not coming in my review thread and making such silly statements about my equipment.  If I were using a $50 portable amp, that would be one thing.  But I'm obviously not.  

Edit: in my brief audition of the LCD-3 with the Liquid Fire at CanJam I thought it sounded quite good with the LCD-3, and I am sure it makes a very fine amp for the LCD-3.  

beerchug.gif
You Go Rob!

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #73 of 533

Quote:
If the Audeze Edition RWA I heard at RMAF was the same unit you are referring to that is both amp and DAC (which would explain why I couldn't find a DAC in the chain) then I rated it 4th out of 5 amps I heard the LCD3 with. These are initial impressions only, but I'm a pretty fast (and accurate) judge of sound. My results from all other combinations I tried mirror many of the postings I've seen since with only a few exceptions, and also excepting the center focus issue many people seem to not find relevant at all, but is my most critical aspect.

The advantage of listening to something away from a show is that you get a very different feel for the equipments abilities. I have long stopped trying to annotate my thoughts on equipment at shows as there are so many other factors that influence impressions. A "this is worthy of more thought" is about as far as it goes. You were quite diligent with your notes and observations and I think have helped a lot of folk. BUT I honestly feel that when it comes to absolute preferences, you need more time, your own rig and free access to the equipment. I doubt not that all these amps do a formidable job of driving the headphones. 

..dB

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #74 of 533
I don't think it was possible at CanJam to form any sort of accurate opinion on open headphones as the ambient noise level was much too high.  I definitely think one can form some preliminary impressions, but the environment of a show isn't good for anything more than that, IMHO.  

That said, the Dark Star is a fine amp, and I am sure it will sound good with the LCD-3, as I thought it sounded quite good with the LCD-2 when I had the Dark Star in my house for review.  Maybe I will have to take my LCD-3 over to RSA and try them together at some point.

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #75 of 533
While I certainly appreciate the efforts that Rob has put into reviewing the LCD-3, one cannot discount Sachu's point - there's better equipment on which the LCD-3 can be heard. Just like there's lower end, too.

My personal take is that if it sounded great on Rob's equipment, it has the potential to sound even better on higher-end rigs. I don't have a higher-end rig, so I'm happy to read Rob's take on the phones. However, to tell a fellow member to leave a thread because he has a dissenting opinion is negating the very essence of online fora.

Quote:

@ sachu,

Please go elsewhere and post your review of why the LCD3 isn't "the bees knees" (whatever that means). Don't pollute this thread!! 
angry_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back