REVIEW – Audeze LCD-3 planar magnetic headphones
Nov 1, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #46 of 533

Quote:
Hello Everyone. Just to clarify the set Rob has is indeed the production model. Thanks for your support. 

That's good to know!  Thanks.

Nov 1, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #48 of 533
Great review! Thank you. Good to read a thread about the Audeze LCD-3 that avoids the expense issue and focuses on the important aspect...how the damn thing sounds and compares to other high-end ’phones.

Since I listen most often to classical music, I'll be looking forward to more particulars about the LCD-3 with large orchestral works, in particular.

Nov 1, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #49 of 533
Those 2 are my big dilemma right now as well. I know by the time I choose there will be more reviews out of each and hopefully comparisons. It'll be at least a few months before I finally have to decide...Though I can audition the LF and not the Dark Star...but buying blind is half the fun, right? 
wink.gif

Quote:
Thanks for the in-depth review!  Can't wait until these start to ship out in the next few weeks.

Now what to decide on for an amp upgrade: Dark Star, LF, Leben...decisions...

Nov 1, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #51 of 533

Quote:
Rob, wish you would justify the LCD_3 with better electronics honestly. I hardly think you heard the LCD-3 at its best

I sincerely hope this was a joke.  

Nov 1, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #52 of 533
Thanks for the excellent review Skylab.

What is the power requirement, do you think?
Is 1,7 watts (in 50 ohms) enough or do they need considerably more to sing?
I am on the preorder list and I wonder if I should go for an extremely powerful amp or "just" powerful.

Audio-GD's Master-5 has (pre/phone amp) has 1,7 watts in 50 ohms, and the Master-6 is 7(!) watts, which will also drive the HE-6.
(I am going to sell my HE-6 after receiving the LCD-3, so I don't need to be able to drive it with the upcoming pre/phone amp.)

One more thing:
How's the bass level compared to the HE-6?

Nov 1, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #54 of 533
I agree, 1.7 watts should be sufficient.  I would be more concerned about the quality of those 1.7 watts.  I have never heard the AudioGD, so it may well be terrific. 

The bass from the LCD-3 is slightly better than the HE-6, IMO, and has slightly more weight.

Nov 1, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #56 of 533
I think it'd be a good idea to preface your reviews with your preferences.  For example, I know you were a huge proponent of DarthBeyers ( http://cdn.head-fi.org/f/fd/fde43d7a_DBv3sealedmeasurementportsopen.txt.jpeg ) and the LCD2, so I assume you enjoy a lot of thick bass.  

You said this was the best headphone you've had and then later described some of the headphones this didn't include which is a good thing as most wouldn't even bother mentioning that.  

I'd personally like to see you be more critical in your reviews.  I'm not saying this review in particular is wrong or anything (we all have our preferences), but it seems almost everything you review ends up being 'great' in your opinion.  Naturally this can't really be possible...everything can't be above average by the definition of the word average.  

As for the particulars of the review, I can only say that in my limited time with the LCD3 I'd never consider it to sound better than the R10.  The thickness of sound from the LCD2/3 masks a lot of information (to be fair this is a much biger problem on LCD2rev1 than it is on the LCD3) that I hear from some of the better headphones out there, including the R10.  The Audeze do have a quicker attack though.  The LCD3 is more neutral than the R10 but there isn't any region of the frequency response I find more enjoyable on it than on the R10.  Midrange tonality on the R10 is almost tops, bass is rolled off which can suck but it is very articulated which I find to be the opposite on the Audeze (best extension but atonal).  There is still also the air issue the LCD2rev1 struggled with but not as badly.  Soundstage is far from excellent but better than the LCD2rev1.  Overall I'd say the LCD3 does improve on the LCD2 in pretty much every way but I'm personally not jumping to buy a set.  My comments are probably nitpicking though as I'm comparing to the best headphones instead of in general.

I was wondering what you meant by 'transparency' when you mentioned you value it.  Do you mean transparency of the driver, as in not 'hearing' it?  Or do you mean transparency to the gear upstream?

Nov 1, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #57 of 533

Quote:

It most sincerely is not. But, lets save that discussion for another thread.

Sachu, we all know how much you love the Liquid Fire, but just because I have different gear, doesn't make the LF "better".  It's fine for you to think so, but that does NOT give you the right to call my very clearly high end headphone gear inadequate.  And I can assure you that to my ears (and several other pairs of people I know) my Audio by Van Alstine Vision Hybrid DAC beats the pants off the Assemblage 3.1, since I have heard them both.  

I would appreciate your not coming in my review thread and making such silly statements about my equipment.  If I were using a $50 portable amp, that would be one thing.  But I'm obviously not.  

Edit: in my brief audition of the LCD-3 with the Liquid Fire at CanJam I thought it sounded quite good with the LCD-3, and I am sure it makes a very fine amp for the LCD-3.  

Nov 1, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #58 of 533
Great review of the LCD-3 Skylab. This is the review that we all have been waiting for and you did not disappoint. 

Very high praise for the LCD-3 indeed. Looks like i'll be getting a pair myself. Fingers crossed i'll get in on the first batch!

Nov 1, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #59 of 533

Quote:
I think it'd be a good idea to preface your reviews with your preferences.  For example, I know you were a huge proponent of DarthBeyers ( http://cdn.head-fi.org/f/fd/fde43d7a_DBv3sealedmeasurementportsopen.txt.jpeg ) and the LCD2, so I assume you enjoy a lot of thick bass.  

You said this was the best headphone you've had and then later described some of the headphones this didn't include which is a good thing as most wouldn't even bother mentioning that.  

I'd personally like to see you be more critical in your reviews.  I'm not saying this review in particular is wrong or anything (we all have our preferences), but it seems almost everything you review ends up being 'great' in your opinion.  Naturally this can't really be possible...everything can't be above average by the definition of the word average.  

As for the particulars of the review, I can only say that in my limited time with the LCD3 I'd never consider it to sound better than the R10.  The thickness of sound from the LCD2/3 masks a lot of information (to be fair this is a much biger problem on LCD2rev1 than it is on the LCD3) that I hear from some of the better headphones out there, including the R10.  The Audeze do have a quicker attack though.  The LCD3 is more neutral than the R10 but there isn't any region of the frequency response I find more enjoyable on it than on the R10.  Midrange tonality on the R10 is almost tops, bass is rolled off which can suck but it is very articulated which I find to be the opposite on the Audeze (best extension but atonal).  There is still also the air issue the LCD2rev1 struggled with but not as badly.  Soundstage is far from excellent but better than the LCD2rev1.  Overall I'd say the LCD3 does improve on the LCD2 in pretty much every way but I'm personally not jumping to buy a set.  My comments are probably nitpicking though as I'm comparing to the best headphones instead of in general.

I was wondering what you meant by 'transparency' when you mentioned you value it.  Do you mean transparency of the driver, as in not 'hearing' it?  Or do you mean transparency to the gear upstream?

I completely respect your opinion of the LCD-3.  I don't find them to have some of the same issues you do, but understand not everyone, or even most people necessarily will hear things the way I do.

Ive attempted to try to describe what I hear as best I can.  By "transparency" I mean that the headphone imparts less of a charachter of its own than other headphones do.  So this is more transparency to the upstream gear I guess in relation to your question, I guess.

My penchant for Darth Beyers was fairly early in my headphone "career".  One of the dangers of my having been around here so long, I guess.  I don't own any anymore.  So I don't think it's fair to say I like "thick bass".  I do like to have some bass weight, however, there is no doubt about that, perhaps more than most, and I think readers can draw their own conclusions from that.  

I have also written quite a few very critical reviews.  I can point them out to you if you want, but you can start with my criticisms of the HD-800, which caused quite a stir.  I have had far worse things to say about some products, too, just look for my review on the "HeadQuarters" as one example.  I have no qualms about being very critical if I find things to be critical about.  But I also do not make up criticisms just to have some.

Anyway, I am HAPPY to have people disagree with my opinions, but thought I needed to comment on a few of the other things you said.  But again, thanks for your comments, I do appreciate them!

Nov 1, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #60 of 533

Quote:

Sachu, we all know how much you love the Liquid Fire, but just because I have different gear, doesn't make the LF "better".  It's fine for you to think so, but that does NOT give you the right to call my very clearly high end headphone gear inadequate.  And I can assure you that my Audio by Van Alstine Vision Hybrid DAC beats the pants off the Assemblage 3.1, since I have heard them both.  

I would appreciate your not coming in my review thread and making such silly statements.

Wow, seems like I touched a nerve here.  

I've actually heard the Van Alstine TOTL preamp in my system and it was far from neutral. Seems that may be your flavor, in which case great. Your other sources like the Havana is a colored sounding source too. Now am not saying that is wrong, but every one hears differently. 

AS N3rdling has said, I'd like to see some criticism about a product too here in your reviews.

I've heard the LCD_3 long enough  and i can only tell you that my review would have been a bit more objective and critical, it wouldn't be as glowing as your review. Again this could be attributed to a mere difference of opinion. You really might think the LCD-3 to be the bees knees, in which case sweet!.. congrats (and i mean it sincerely).. That said, I consider it a fantastic headphone. A game changer? No comment..  And as far as value, only the person shelling out the money can be the judge of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back