REVIEW – Audeze LCD-3 planar magnetic headphones
Nov 1, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #16 of 533
How is the sound stage compared to the HE-6 and T1?  Is the LCD-3 darker sounding than the HE-6 and T1?

Nov 1, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #17 of 533
"soundstage gymnastics" 
biggrin.gif
beerchug.gif

Nov 1, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #19 of 533

Quote:
How is the sound stage compared to the HE-6 and T1?  Is the LCD-3 darker sounding than the HE-6 and T1?

The soundstage is a little better on the LCD-3 than the HE-6, but similar.  The T1 is a little better, IMO.  The LCD-3, while not dark sounding, is darker than the T1 or LCD-3, yes.

Nov 1, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #20 of 533
Well considering the rig I'm putting together it looks like this will be the last upgrade. No need to do it immediately over my R2, but after I get my amp and DAC I could see these replacing my R2...

I'm sorry dear wallet...Not that you've had anything in your for ages thanks to this place.

Nov 1, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #21 of 533
Great review Rob!

Can't wait to get my pair and give them a whirl. I am curious to hear how they compare to the LCD-2 rev. 2, which I found many similar improvements over the Rev. 1 that you have found with the LCD-3s.

Nov 1, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #22 of 533
Thank you Skylab for another excellent review. As a LCD-2 r1, T1 and HE6 owner I was more than pleased to see those comparisons in your review.

Wallet! Where are you?

Nov 1, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #23 of 533
A great review, as always. This seems a sort of end-destination 'phone. Do you think it needs a fairly high quality amp for best performance?

Nov 1, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #25 of 533

Quote:
Thanks for a great review!
Will my WA6-SE do them justice?

I would sure think so.  I always thought the WA-6 did well with the LCD-2, when I had a WA-6, and the SE has a lot more power.  Should be fine.

Nov 1, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #26 of 533
thanks for awesome comparisons :D
answered all my questions about them ? ( Mids Vs R10 , imaging vs R10 and T1 , Sound stage vs  R10 and T1, transparency vs HE6 )

But, there is one thing, How does the Audez'e Ed. compare to Laben CS300XS and pioneer SX1980 , while driving the LCD3. i thought you still preferred the Leben with LCD2 / R10, ( by very small margin of course ).
SO , whats you desert island rig now , Leben CS300XS + LCD3 or Audeze Ed. + LCD3 or is it still the R10 ?

( i understand that this can be subjective , i am just asking because from what i have read in your impressions, my listening impressions somewhat are close to yours )

Thanks for the great review.

Nov 1, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #27 of 533
Good question.  I do think that I prefer the Leben just slightly with the LCD-3, but the RWA AE was so close that which I preferred often varied from song to song.  The Leben is a little warmer and lusher than the AE, and so on some songs it was better, on others it was not.  both are so good, though, that "better" was a tough call.

Nov 1, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #29 of 533
Oh dear is all I can say...

Thanks Skylab for another well considered, very comprehensive review. Like MrQ I have the LCD2 r1 and the T1, so personally these were valuable comparisons.

As well I look forward to your forthcoming Corda Classic and Bifrost (with Lyr?) reviews to help get more reference points.

I note you didn't mention the MiniTorii - but you reported more than enough amps, sources and 'phones as it is! 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back