REVIEW – Audeze LCD-3 planar magnetic headphones
Nov 1, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #31 of 533

Quote:
Oh dear is all I can say...

Thanks Skylab for another well considered, very comprehensive review. Like MrQ I have the LCD2 r1 and the T1, so personally these were valuable comparisons.

As well I look forward to your forthcoming Corda Classic and Bifrost (with Lyr?) reviews to help get more reference points.

I note you didn't mention the MiniTorii - but you reported more than enough amps, sources and 'phones as it is! 
biggrin.gif

I didn't have time to try the Mini-Torii, but I am sure I will at some point.

Quote:
Rob, do you think your prototype LCD-3's, the one out of the six in existence, will be different than the production version?

I have no clue on that.

Nov 1, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #32 of 533

Quote:
Rob great write up as usual.

Thanks Frank! Very much appreciate it, buddy.

Quote:
Great review Rob!

Can't wait to get my pair and give them a whirl. I am curious to hear how they compare to the LCD-2 rev. 2, which I found many similar improvements over the Rev. 1 that you have found with the LCD-3s.

Knowing how similar our tastes are, Peter, I am pretty confident you will be happy.

Nov 1, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #35 of 533

Quote:
The LCD-3 is almost as expensive as the Stax 007.... I'm really looking forward to a comparison from someone...

I'm sure at some point someone will offer this.  I wish I could, but only heard Stax at shows.

Nov 1, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #36 of 533
Thanks for the in-depth review!  Can't wait until these start to ship out in the next few weeks.

Now what to decide on for an amp upgrade: Dark Star, LF, Leben...decisions...

Nov 1, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #37 of 533
Ahhh - the 007 is fabolous - but the bass with the Stax driver is somewhat "loose". I would very much like to hear it with something like the Woo WES... 

Great review, skylab - as always :)

I'm sure at some point someone will offer this.  I wish I could, but only heard Stax at shows.

Nov 1, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #38 of 533
Excellent review, Rob... you always know just which questions we're all wondering about.

That said, I have one more question. How are the LCD-3 with orchestral music? For me, the LCD-2.2's one real weakness is large-scale classical music -- like most Grados (but in a totally different way), the LCD-2.2 just can't seem to convey the gravitas of big-ensemble compositions. If the LCD-3 mostly solved this problem, I wouldn't necessarily have to keep my T1s as my "Wagner cans" and could build a system tailored to the LCDs.

As always, thanks!

Nov 1, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #39 of 533

Quote:
Excellent review, Rob... you always know just which questions we're all wondering about.

That said, I have one more question. How are the LCD-3 with orchestral music? For me, the LCD-2.2's one real weakness is large-scale classical music -- like most Grados (but in a totally different way), the LCD-2.2 just can't seem to convey the gravitas of big-ensemble compositions. If the LCD-3 mostly solved this problem, I wouldn't necessarily have to keep my T1s as my "Wagner cans" and could build a system tailored to the LCDs.

As always, thanks!

That's a good question.  I don't listen to much classical music, and so I'm not sure I could speak authoritatively on that, but will try them in the next day or two with my Pioneer and playing some nice classical reel to reel tapes I have and report back.

Nov 1, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #40 of 533

Quote:
That's a good question.  I don't listen to much classical music, and so I'm not sure I could speak authoritatively on that, but will try them in the next day or two with my Pioneer and playing some nice classical reel to reel tapes I have and report back.

Don't you mean you'll "report Bach"?

:)

Thanks for checking into it. I'm on the pre-order list already, but I'm too curious to wait it out.

Nov 1, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #42 of 533
Nice review. Nice cans. Even better than my R10? Alright I'm gonna have one of these. Sure.

Wait, hold on wait a second.

eek.gif

Nov 1, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #44 of 533
Nice review!  Would love to try out a pair, but recent condo purchase and all the expenses surrounding that put a bit of a damper on my audio purchases.  Unless I wanted to descend even deeper into credit card debt.  :p

Quote:
Don't you mean you'll "report Bach"?

:)

Ouch.  Ouchouchouch.  I think you may have fractured my brain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back