Revamp Acoustics
Oct 9, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #617 of 765
I had my P1 sent to HK so my dad could have a listen and here are his preliminary impressions when he auditioned it tonight.
Better than the DX90; higher resolution, more natural and refined, good distribution (not sure what that means), more balanced with better treble and bass, more realistic.

Oct 9, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #618 of 765
I had my P1 sent to HK so my dad could have a listen and here are his preliminary impressions when he auditioned it tonight.

Kudos to you for sharing the love with your dad!

Just curious if he's familiar with DAPs besides DX90 because that's an easy victory for the P1 in my opinion. Maybe if your dad has heard other, better DAPs it would be a fair fight

Oct 10, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #619 of 765
Kudos to you for sharing the love with your dad!

Just curious if he's familiar with DAPs besides DX90 because that's an easy victory for the P1 in my opinion. Maybe if your dad has heard other, better DAPs it would be a fair fight

He does have some experience with other DAPs but has mainly stuck to his DX90 + Portaphile 627 Micro combination for years. Speaking of which, today he tried comparing the P1 to the DX90 + 627 Micro and P1 alone with P1 + 627 Micro and I'll copy-paste what he told me. He uses the Flare Audio R2A and HD650 for his comparisons.
The sound quality of DX90 + amp improve a lot when compare with DX90 alone. The DX90 + amp combo is approaching the sound quality of your DAP, but your DAP is more define and cleaner. In loud volume, the DX90 + amp seems more powerful. This is natural but the sound is more rough when compared with your DAP. When using your DAP + amp, there is less dramatic improvement. I think just listen to your DAP without the amp is good enough.

He also says that with the HD650, the bass of the DX90 + 627 is more controlled than that of the P1 alone, which is to be expected, but that it's not a great difference.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #621 of 765
Anyone has luck playing flac 24/96 and above without noise?
The p1 has great sound and it would be a perfert player for me if the slight click in between tracks can be eliminated completely. 44.1/16 wav plays smoothly with very little click on 1 or 2 tracks in an album; 24/96 wav with louder click. (Thanks to @tjstyle, its been smoothed out a lot but still audible).

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #622 of 765
Success with hi-res FLAC and playback without clicks (between tracks) are both intermittent. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

I've accepted both as quirks of the P1 since none of the firmwares changed either 100%. But the P1's sound quality is so much better than any other DAP I've heard that it doesn't bother me. Converting anything above 16/44 to WAV works 100% since V2.0.3 and up. Redbook FLAC and mp3 work fine too so at least I don't have to waste space converting everything to WAV.

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #623 of 765
Success with hi-res FLAC and playback without clicks (between tracks) are both intermittent. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

I've accepted both as quirks of the P1 since none of the firmwares changed either 100%. But the P1's sound quality is so much better than any other DAP I've heard that it doesn't bother me. Converting anything above 16/44 to WAV works 100% since V2.0.3 and up. Redbook FLAC and mp3 work fine too so at least I don't have to waste space converting everything to WAV.
I'll stick with WAV for p1, as it plays smoothly without issue, only the hires WAV(88.2/24, 96/24) with minor click I wish it can be got rid of.
Will leave flac and other formats to my other players.
With p1, I find some of the red book CD files are equally good compared with hires, only for live recordings, even a slight click will dampen the mood for the music.
Haven't figured out how am I going to play classical music with p1, same as live recording albums, the only way I can think of is to convert all the tracks in the album to one single file, but in that case I'll have to listen to the whole album to the end, if not p1 will start playing the same file from the beginning when it's on again.

Oct 31, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #625 of 765
I have number 31 in my hands!

Impressions to come soon...

Nov 3, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #627 of 765

Yeah, I've been patiently waiting for @tjstyle to announce this project. I'm really excited to try!

FB_IMG_1509767006434.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back