Returned AKG K550 and VmodaM100. Would really appreciate some feedback for my search!!!
Apr 8, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #16 of 19
You are right on the spot. I think I'm asking for too much at 500-600 price point 
rolleyes.gif

No, it's not that you're asking for too much, it's that you're basically asking for a headphone that has no flaws whatsoever. There are plenty of fantastic headphones at the $500-$600 pricepoint, but even at double or triple that point you're not going to get "flawless." :xf_eek:

I guess what I'm struggling with is in between HD600 and HE400. Could anyone comment on the sub-bass of these? I have a E17 to drive during my travels (in the hotel room etc) and also Yamaha V671 for my home office use. I liked K550's sound stage and airiness it was just the bass was lacking and making the sound hmmm "not fun?" I think I'm almost there to make the final decision, just need to decide in between these 2 
biggrin.gif

I still think the K1000 would be a better candidate if the K550 were "almost there" - the Sennheiser will have a somewhat rolled-off top-end by comparison. I haven't heard the HE-400 to comment on them.

Apr 8, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #17 of 19
Quote:
You are right on the spot. I think I'm asking for too much at 500-600 price point 
rolleyes.gif

I guess what I'm struggling with is in between HD600 and HE400. Could anyone comment on the sub-bass of these? I have a E17 to drive during my travels (in the hotel room etc) and also Yamaha V671 for my home office use. I liked K550's sound stage and airiness it was just the bass was lacking and making the sound hmmm "not fun?" I think I'm almost there to make the final decision, just need to decide in between these 2 
biggrin.gif

I chose the HE400s over the 600s and the 650s.  The sound signature is just more "fun."  If you listen to a lot of acoustic/classical music though, you might prefer the HD600/650.

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #18 of 19
I finally pulled the trigger on HE-400 (made sure its rev2) and ordered it along with the velour pads (i hope it is easy to change 
redface.gif
 ) I wanted to thank everyone on this post who helped me make this decision. I hope this is the one.... I will post my reviews once I get it.

Jun 10, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #19 of 19
A quick update to my research. I love the HE-400s!!! Thank you for all the recommendations and feedback. This community is amazing!!!

I paired it up with E17. The funny part is I love the sound signature so much that I don't really have to play around with Treb/Bass on E17. On the other hand, adding E17 to my source slightly expands the sound stage (at least that is my perception). Bass is punchy, deep, strong and not overwhelming. Treble is neutral ( some people comment on treble being recessed but I don't find that issue with my setup).

Headband pressure is slightly uncomfortable after 40 minutes, however, that issue is getting better and better every day. 

Now it is time to start my research on an exercise IEM to replace my Bose Mie2i :))))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back