Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
Feb 7, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #2,282 of 2,480
Yeah I tried to update mine a few weeks back and got the same problem. Pretty frustrating and truthfully disappointed in Resonessence. I bought a Concero HD and Veritas on separate occasions-both were dead on arrival. Both units had to go back. Then I reached out to Mark regarding a problem with the Veritas not decoding DSD512 properly and was told they were aware of the problem. That was a long while ago and still no solution.
Actually, I want to add a bit more to this post in fairness to Mark as Resonessence. Frustrating as it was to have ordered 2 units and both arriving DOA, Mark was very responsive to the problems and quick to act both times. A perfect gentleman he is.

Feb 24, 2018 at 12:39 AM Post #2,284 of 2,480
finally made it to the end of this thread. i'm considering the resonessence labs concero hp as an all-in-one desktop option. i've been impressed by the feedback regarding the concero's sound and build quality, usb implementation and the company's responsiveness, but i note that there have been some concerns regarding a lack of firmware updates and installation problems of late. do we know if resonessence labs is continuing to provide firmware updates for the concero?

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 6:45 AM Post #2,285 of 2,480
"do we know if resonessence labs is continuing to provide firmware updates for the concero?"

Why would they if all issues considered to be solved and achieved the sound quality they strived for? My Concero HD works flawlessly with all of my PCs, laptops as well as with my other sources with coax output such as my Sony bluray player.
Feeding with music upconverted to DSD128 in HQPlayer soundwise it punches well above its class IMO.

Feb 25, 2018 at 6:52 AM Post #2,286 of 2,480
"do we know if resonessence labs is continuing to provide firmware updates for the concero?"

Why would they if all issues considered to be solved and achieved the sound quality they strived for? My Concero HD works flawlessly with all of my PCs, laptops as well as with my other sources with coax output such as my Sony bluray player.
Feeding with music upconverted to DSD128 in HQPlayer soundwise it punches well above its class IMO.

Yeah i think i have to agree..maybe be its in its final form...love this little thing

Feb 25, 2018 at 6:53 AM Post #2,287 of 2,480

Would be nice if those of us with these units not on the latest firmware could update them still.

Feb 26, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #2,288 of 2,480

my question was prompted by previous posts from some owners who appear to be having difficulties installing firmware updates and who have found resonessence labs unresponsive, which is unusual from what i've seen in this thread, and by the suggestion from one owner that resonessence labs is no longer providing firmware updates. with respect, i'm looking for a factual response rather than a debate followed by a ringing endorsement, thanks. i wouldn't be here asking if i wasn't genuinely interested in the concero hp.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #2,289 of 2,480
I have sent 3 emails and left 2 voice mail messages over the space of a month and no response with regard to being able to update my firmware and the ability to switch the coaxial function on my unit.

I am very happy with the sound on this unit. Quite disappointed with the service.
If I cannot update any longer then so be it, but let me know....

Feb 19, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #2,293 of 2,480
I phoned Resonessence this morning and spoke with them about the Concero/Mac issue. They laid the blame on Apple and have no plans to do any firmware updates for the Concero. From what they were saying it seemed like this problem is not just limited to the original Concero but applies to the newer models as well.

Very disappointing to hear there are no updates planned. Thinking of selling my Concero since I'm not switching to PC.

Feb 27, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #2,294 of 2,480
Does anyone else here use a Concero (or perhaps Concero HD/HP) with a Mac running OSX 10.13 or 10.14? Does it skip for you or does it sound fine?

Thanks for any responses; trying to diagnose the problem I'm having

Feb 27, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #2,295 of 2,480
Final update:

Fixed my Concero by updating the firmware to version 2.2, which is supposed to have more robust USB (http://web.archive.org/web/20160828082903/http://www.resonessencelabs.com/concero-release-notes/). No more skipping

Resonessence did NOT make this easy. Their most recent firmware (v 2.7) uses an updater that "checks in" with Resonessence and downloads the firmware from their servers, which are now offline (as others have reported). Worse, they've removed all Concero firmwares from their website. Luckily, I was able to find standalone PC updaters for firmware versions 2.2 and 2.4 elsewhere on the internet.

I did have a bit of a scare when doing the firmware update using my Windows 10 PC.

I connected the Concero directly to a USB 3.0 port on my motherboard. The updater found the Concero and reported its firmware was out of date. Started the firmware update. Once the green "update" bar reached halfway (with about 11 seconds left on the countdown timer) the updater just stopped and reported "Update failed." I unplugged and replugged the Concero. Windows detected it, but no light on the DAC and no music. I ran the firmware updater again; it found the Concero and let me start the update, but again failed with 11 seconds left.

I thought it was bricked and started to panic a bit.

Then I plugged the Concero directly into one of the USB 2.0 ports on my motherboard. Ran the update process and it worked! One note: once the timer reached 0 seconds, it kind of stayed that way for about a minute, and then said the upgrade was complete.

The USB 3.0 port is also a "CPU" port while the USB 2.0 port is a "Chipset" port. Not sure what the important factor was there. (I have a Ryzen CPU).

TL;DR: Fixed by updating to firmware version 2.2. Had to use a Windows PC. Used a USB 2.0 port since a USB 3.0 port (with direct CPU access) failed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back