Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
Aug 10, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #2,223 of 2,480

Is that a new Mac driver for the Concero?  I thought the latest was v2.8?

2.8 is the firmware for the Concero, whereas 3.34.0 are windows related software drivers.

Aug 11, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #2,225 of 2,480

Hey Amigstar,

I'd give it another shot, if I were you - before you let it go. But fact it was glued together is suspicious.  Another strange thing...the Aqvox site talks about turning the plug around to ensure the right polarity.  I've got to say, this makes zero difference in my setup.  BTW, I live in the USA so am using it through a converter. 

So I'm giving another try with the Aqvox Power Supply. I like it, Soundstage expanded, warmer softer sound, and here my dilemma begins. I'm not sure if i loose in the dynamic department or the Concero hd has to sound like this, idk.
So, JJ1960 could you shortly explain what the Aqvox excatly does to your sound?
Oh yeah and in my setup i clearly notice the right polarity, because turning the plug only sounds different on one side, the warm one.

Edit: I'v also noticed that when it's warm compared to cold the Concero HD plays more relaxed almost the same i get with the Aqvox. Since it's pretty cold atm where i live i think i will leave the Aqvox connected.

Aug 13, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #2,226 of 2,480

So I'm giving another try with the Aqvox Power Supply. I like it, Soundstage expanded, warmer softer sound, and here my dilemma begins. I'm not sure if i loose in the dynamic department or the Concero hd has to sound like this, idk.
So, JJ1960 could you shortly explain what the Aqvox excatly does to your sound?
Oh yeah and in my setup i clearly notice the right polarity, because turning the plug only sounds different on one side, the warm one.

Edit: I'v also noticed that when it's warm compared to cold the Concero HD plays more relaxed almost the same i get with the Aqvox. Since it's pretty cold atm where i live i think i will leave the Aqvox connected.

Amigastar,
For my system, the Aqvox has brought much more than warmth. It's brought a much higher level of detail and insight into the music - it's an altogether bigger sound - I really wouldn't go back.  When I bought the Aqvox, I was fully prepared to send it back to Germany if I felt it was doing nothing special for my SQ.  But it's here to stay, as long as I use the Concero HD.  And right now, I'm not feeling any need to change my DAC.  Here's my system in total:
- Audirvana +  (playing FLAC files, PCM)
- Curious USB
- W4S Recovery
- Curious USB link
- Aqvox
- Concero HD (using upsampling filter)
- AudioQuest Sydney IC
- Rega Elex-R amp
- AntiCable Ref. 3 speaker cables
- Kudos Super C20 speakers - which are very revealing.  Some would say "too good" for the DAC/Amp combo, but I disagree.  

My system loves well recorded / well played music.  I used to think (before Aqvox) that it was a little "forward" and didn't have the right weight  to louder/complex recordings.  With the Aqvox, this aspect is much better.  I'm not saying I have 'the perfect system" or anything.  If was to change anything, I might upgrade my amp maybe next year.  Perhaps a valve amp like the Rogue Cronus, or maybe a Naim Supernait. But the upgrade would have to be a serious jump - there's really not much lacking in the Rega.

Hope all this helps you to assess your system as a whole.  

Aug 13, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #2,227 of 2,480
Hey JJ1960,

thank you very much for the thorough answer, helps me alot.

Like i said i will try the iFi iPurifier2 in the near future and see what the differences are for me to the Aqvox.

thanks again

Edit: oh yeah, it's not that i don't like the Aqvox (not at all) but i want to try the iPurifier2 to see what that can bring to the table.

Aug 21, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #2,228 of 2,480
Enjoying Aqvox with my Concero HD. I'm getting definitely better layered music than without.
Nevertheless I'm curious what the addition will be to the sound with the iFi Purifier 2 when i get it (probably around next month)

Aug 28, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #2,229 of 2,480
Hey there people,

i have an urgent question.
can i connect the Concero (SD) with a CD-Player through Coax cable or is this not possible because the concero is only usb powered?
I'm asking because i'm selling my Concero through ebay and someone showed interest and asked me this question thats why its urgent.

I hope the question makes sense.

thx

Aug 28, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #2,230 of 2,480
  Hey there people,

i have an urgent question.
can i connect the Concero (SD) with a CD-Player through Coax cable or is this not possible because the concero is only usb powered?
I'm asking because i'm selling my Concero through ebay and someone showed interest and asked me this question thats why its urgent.

I hope the question makes sense.

thx

You can do that, but you'll need to connect power via USB. It works with any cell phone type USB charger device, combined with a regular USB cable as you'd normally use with Concero. Most people already have one or two or ten of those USB chargers so the Concero didn't ship with one. 

Aug 28, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #2,231 of 2,480
Hello,

Thank you for the info Project86.

Aug 30, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #2,232 of 2,480

You can do that, but you'll need to connect power via USB. It works with any cell phone type USB charger device, combined with a regular USB cable as you'd normally use with Concero. Most people already have one or two or ten of those USB chargers so the Concero didn't ship with one. 

Hello project86,

can i use this device?
https://www.amazon.de/AmazonBasics-USB-Netzteil-Ladeger%C3%A4t-Output-Schwarz/dp/B00JWXT6BK

won't it hurt the dac?

Aug 30, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #2,233 of 2,480
Assuming that's the right plug style for your area, it should be fine. The Concero automatically senses whether USB is sending a signal or just power, and if no signal is present then it switches to spdif input mode. Pretty clever imho, no need to clutter the design with a switch.

Oct 4, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #2,234 of 2,480
Can anyone comment on the synergy of the HD with Schiit JOTUNHEIM? I am also considering the Modi Multibit. Anyone able to compare the two dacs?

Oct 4, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #2,235 of 2,480
The Concero HD and Modi Multibit are completely different animals. The former is a 32 bit Delta Sigma design and the latter is 16 bit in a R2R ladder design , so for playing back a 24 bit file, it will literally throw away 8 bits of resolution. The only advantage between the Modi and an older ladder DAC is that down conversion is done within the DAC and not on the computer. Also no DSD on the Modi. 

I know R2R DAC's are all the rage now but they are not all created equal....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back