Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
Dec 3, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #1,338 of 2,480
  So... even if you go to a battery-powered laptop, I'd suggest you still use a separate battery pack to supply power to a USB-powered DAC.

I tried my laptop again last night and got constant dropouts every ten seconds or so, which I don't believe I got the first time I tried it (although I only used it for a minute or two the first time to verify that it worked in principle).  Last night I was planning on making soud quality comparisons but had to abort the plan as the laptop was essentially unuseable.   I don't know if that's a data or power issue but it affected my Halide Bridge as well when I was using that, which is why I've not gone battery powered before.  I'm hoping the Mac works flawlessly in that regard and I'd run it with screen, bluetooth and wifi switched off (using the remote with the Concero unless I wanted to change playlists).  I'm assuming the Mac can be set to run with no paging file and the SSD can be set to power down after a minute?  I need to get the remote today and will ask in the store.

I was hoping to avoid separate battery packs and split cables (I wouldn't mind so much if the Concero had a dedicated power port) but it may come to that.  I have the worst mains supply I've ever encountered at the moment; voltage and distortion are both fine (according to my regenerator) but I have enormous DC offset, mostly countered with a DC blocker, and what I assume is high frequency noise that can get straight through a balanced transformer.  I could add yet another filter but I now have more power products than hi-fi components in the chain...

I've also ordered an Aune X5 SD (SDHC reader that only plays WAV and MP3, and probably only 16/44.1).  Jitter looks poor at 800ps but it's a simple design and can be run off a 6v battery pack (if one exists) so will be worth an experiment.  I don't know if that jitter measurement was with the included (I assume switched mode) psu or a lab supply, but a battery may help.   I can then run the Concero off a dedicated 5v battery supply and use the coax spdif as the input.

Thanks for the heads-up on the battery powered amp, I've added it to my list for when I can use speakers again.  What battery did you get for it?

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #1,339 of 2,480
  Hi guys, I've joined the Concero HP owners club having decided to go completely off the grid!  The Concero is step one as it's much easier to battery power than my NAD M51 and Schitt
I have some questions too:

1. Someone earlier in the thread (sorry for not going back and checking who) stated that Resonessence provide ASIO drivers.  I've found the DLLs in the download, but can't see anyway to install them.  Instead I've used the experimental ASIO plugin for Foobar (as KS and WASAPI didn't work with the Concero).  Should I be using the instead?

I recommend using Resonessence ASIO.  Installing the Foobar ASIO Support component (foo_out_asio) will load RUSBAudio ASIO, which is the driver you want to select from the Output Device drop-down menu.

Dec 3, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #1,340 of 2,480
  Which cables do you guys use for split USB power and data sections?

Those Anker external batteries look really nice. Pity I can't get them in South Africa, but looks like there are alternatives available here.

I'm using this one with the Concero, the C2G 28108, but I've had to tape the fourth pin of the USB A connector that goes to the laptop, as shown in the second photo:  

There are some (unfortunately, very expensive) Y-cables that are designed for this purpose and thus, do not require modification with adhesive tape. 

tongue.gif

These include...

The KingRex uArt Y USB Cable:  http://www.moon-audio.com/kingrex-uart-y-usb-cable.html

And the even more expensive KingRex uCraft Y USB Cable:  http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/kingrex12/1.html

KingRex also makes the U Power:  http://www.moon-audio.com/kingrex-u-power.html#

But if you're looking for a less-expensive 5V battery pack (offering a lot more amp-hours) and can't obtain the Anker Astro Pro at your location, see if you can get an Energizer XP18000: http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-XP18000-Universal-External-Netbooks/dp/B002K8M9HC 

Mike

Dec 3, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #1,341 of 2,480

I tried my laptop again last night and got constant dropouts every ten seconds or so, which I don't believe I got the first time I tried it (although I only used it for a minute or two the first time to verify that it worked in principle).  Last night I was planning on making soud quality comparisons but had to abort the plan as the laptop was essentially unuseable.   I don't know if that's a data or power issue but it affected my Halide Bridge as well when I was using that, which is why I've not gone battery powered before.  I'm hoping the Mac works flawlessly in that regard and I'd run it with screen, bluetooth and wifi switched off (using the remote with the Concero unless I wanted to change playlists).  I'm assuming the Mac can be set to run with no paging file and the SSD can be set to power down after a minute?  I need to get the remote today and will ask in the store.

Wow!  You're really going for it...   You sound like the guys I read at  http://www.computeraudiophile.com/tags/forum/

I know of a guy who disables several devices, including his graphics adapter, and stops all non-essential services when ripping CDs, and does the same for playback.

Quote:

I was hoping to avoid separate battery packs and split cables (I wouldn't mind so much if the Concero had a dedicated power port) but it may come to that.  I have the worst mains supply I've ever encountered at the moment; voltage and distortion are both fine (according to my regenerator) but I have enormous DC offset, mostly countered with a DC blocker, and what I assume is high frequency noise that can get straight through a balanced transformer.  I could add yet another filter but I now have more power products than hi-fi components in the chain...

Yuck, you indeed have bad power coming from the mains, but you seem to be very well-versed in dealing with it.

I've also ordered an Aune X5 SD (SDHC reader that only plays WAV and MP3, and probably only 16/44.1).  Jitter looks poor at 800ps but it's a simple design and can be run off a 6v battery pack (if one exists) so will be worth an experiment.  I don't know if that jitter measurement was with the included (I assume switched mode) psu or a lab supply, but a battery may help.   I can then run the Concero off a dedicated 5v battery supply and use the coax spdif as the input.

I had no idea such a product exists!  http://www.amazon.com/Aune-X5-Digital-Player-Version/dp/B00ACF8RYY
I've been hoping and dreaming for something like this for quite some time. And it includes a remote control, no less!

Thanks so much for mentioning it and please do let me know how it turns out for you!  

I've often wished Resonessence had included a card reader with the Concero, as they do with the Invicta.  It just makes so much sense to me to get away from using a PC or Mac as a transport.

Quote:
  Thanks for the heads-up on the battery powered amp, I've added it to my list for when I can use speakers again.  What battery did you get for it?

This post, from the "speaker amps for headphones" thread, summarizes how I'm powering the TBI Audio MG3 amp, currently.

Thanks again for mentioning the Aune X5 SD!

Mike

Dec 3, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #1,342 of 2,480
I'm not sure how people are getting such severe dropouts, but if you're using Foobar/Windows, in the 'Advanced' settings:
(1) WASAPI should have "High worker process priority" checked
(2) Thread Priority should be at "7"
(3) MMCSS should be used and in "Pro Audio" mode
(4) Full File Buffering should be as large as possible (however much memory you want to allocate), so that Foobar plays files from RAM rather than seeking from the HDD

With these settings, I have not experienced dropouts even in battery saver mode on my notebook.

And yes, an USB Y-cable can help. The ones I know are from (in decreasing order of price):
  1. Acoustic Revive (http://www.acoustic-revive.com/english/pcaudio/usb_cable_01.html)
  2. Kingrex uCraft/uArt (http://www.kingrex.com/products.php?c=9&s=19)
    [uCraft uses Oyaide Inverted Concentric, uArt uses Wire World Symmetricon; AFAIK, both are SPC cables]
  3. iFi Audio Gemini (http://www.ifi-audio.com/en/Gemini.html)

Honestly, I think all of these cables are a bit pricey, even the iFi cable. Rumor is that Firestone Audio is going to release a Y-cable and USB power source, but these are just rumors, and there's no guarantee that it'll be much cheaper than these offerings.

I've used the Kingrex UPower before. It's nice, but I think the iFi iUSBPower is a little nicer with respect to features. The UPower is battery-based, while the iUSB is just a carefully regulated power supply. No idea what the Audiophileo is, but if I had to guess, it's battery-based.

Dec 3, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #1,343 of 2,480

I have some questions too:
1. Someone earlier in the thread (sorry for not going back and checking who) stated that Resonessence provide ASIO drivers.  I've found the DLLs in the download, but can't see anyway to install them.  Instead I've used the experimental ASIO plugin for Foobar (as KS and WASAPI didn't work with the Concero).  Should I be using the Resonessence ASIO instead?

The Thesycon drivers are custom made for all our products. Please follow the link and instructions to install.

Respectfully,
Ken Pachkowsky
Resonessence Labs

Dec 3, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #1,344 of 2,480
  I recommend using Resonessence ASIO.  Installing the Foobar ASIO Support component (foo_out_asio) will load RUSBAudio ASIO, which is the driver you want to select from the Output Device drop-down menu.

I used the foo component and it lists RUSBAudio in the drop down menu, which is what I'm using, so I guess it must have installed correctly already.  That saves me another job this evening.  Thanks for the info.

Dec 3, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #1,345 of 2,480

Yuck, you indeed have bad power coming from the mains, but you seem to be very well-versed in dealing with it.

This post, from the "speaker amps for headphones" thread, summarizes how I'm powering the TBI Audio MG3 amp, currently.

Thanks again for mentioning the Aune X5 SD!

Mike

I know far more about the mains supply now than I ever wanted to, and it's still not fixed.  There's a Furman sequencer that looks like it would deal with high frequency noise, but I've lost the heart.  Having said that the thread you linked to on batteries has filled me with horror of exploding batteries and I'm pausing for thought.  That thread certainly makes the simplicity of the MBP battery look good.

I've been lurking on the CA forum for ages although I've not joined it yet.  It's why I put a linear supply on my SOtM USB card (big difference) and then tried a linear supply for the SSDs (smaller but noticeable difference), but my PC looks like something out of a post-apocalypse movie now.  The Aune, if it works well, will be so much easier.  I also found the Fostex UR-2 with what appears to be AES/EBU out, though it's over complicated and expensive for my needs; plus a Denon broadcast SD reader for about £350, but that was analogue out only.  I can't believe how rare an SD to spdif transport is, and I found none that would play SDXC (officially at least).  In effect that's what I'd be using the MBP for but it's a £1250 SD transport with lots more going on in the background than necessary.

Resonessence, if you're reading this, a matching £500 SDXC to spdif (or USB) reader with buttons on the fascia/top, a little flip up screen, low jitter and DSD support would be just the ticket, and the Aune is the only rival I could find short of a MBP.  I would suggest giving it USB pass through too, along with a dedicated power input so we don't have to fart around with split cables. Thanks in advance! 
wink_face.gif

Dec 3, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #1,346 of 2,480

Hi Ken, it's great to see a manufacturer answering questions in these forums!  I followed all the instructions and it seems I am using the right ASIO component.  Is there any way to get WASAPI to work instead though?  I prefer the way it operates, muting all other programs and with no glitches - although glitches are very rare on my desktop.  Foobar lets me select the Concero under Wasapi (iirc) but then the program refuses to play; it immediately stops itself whenever I hit play so no sound comes out.

Dec 3, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #1,347 of 2,480
  Resonessence, if you're reading this, a matching £500 SDXC to spdif (or USB) reader with buttons on the fascia/top, a little flip up screen, low jitter and DSD support would be just the ticket, and the Aune is the only rival I could find short of a MBP.  I would suggest giving it USB pass through too, along with a dedicated power input so we don't have to fart around with split cables. Thanks in advance! 
wink_face.gif

+1 to all of that!  
L3000.gif

Dec 3, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #1,348 of 2,480

Hi Ken, it's great to see a manufacturer answering questions in these forums!  I followed all the instructions and it seems I am using the right ASIO component.  Is there any way to get WASAPI to work instead though?  I prefer the way it operates, muting all other programs and with no glitches - although glitches are very rare on my desktop.  Foobar lets me select the Concero under Wasapi (iirc) but then the program refuses to play; it immediately stops itself whenever I hit play so no sound comes out.

Install foo_out_wasapi component and the Concero will operate in WASAPI mode. You'll see it in the drop down menu. 

Dec 3, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #1,349 of 2,480
  I'm not sure how people are getting such severe dropouts, but if you're using Foobar/Windows, in the 'Advanced' settings:
(1) WASAPI should have "High worker process priority" checked
(2) Thread Priority should be at "7"
(3) MMCSS should be used and in "Pro Audio" mode
(4) Full File Buffering should be as large as possible (however much memory you want to allocate), so that Foobar plays files from RAM rather than seeking from the HDD

Hey thanks for the tip. I went to check my advanced setting and changed everything. BTW I never had trouble with the Concero in anyway. Not a single drop out, but I wanted to maxmize my Foobar2000  WASAPI experience. LOL. Foobar is full of surprises... I thought that only thing I needed to do was to run WASAPI on it.

Dec 4, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #1,350 of 2,480
One thing--you  don't need ~~ "High worker process priority" checked in FOOBAR to use WASAPI for the Concero.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back