Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
Nov 12, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #1,307 of 2,480
heh acer notebooks are the worst quality.  same with their netbooks back in the day.  6 days ago their CEO resigned due to the company being terrible and posting a record loss.  I'm sure there's no direct correlation to their laptop design but it's worrying :p  this is in reference to the guy with poor usb power in his acer laptop one page back

Nov 12, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #1,308 of 2,480
Got a demo unit of the concero hp today, and boy, it was fantastic! Everything sounds livelier and weightier than my 2stepdance. It was a tad bright, specifically with the hi-hat sounds (tsk sound... not sure if that's the right word to describe it).

My only concern is, which i know it shouldn't be, but my heart aches to pay such a hefty price for something so small! AND it is usb powered, which i absolutely hate about the concero hp. Also, i experienced something weird... two cut offs so far, where the sound suddenly drops for 2-3 seconds, and gradually comes back, not sure if its because of the power or a faulty unit). 

Nov 12, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #1,309 of 2,480
Maybe you used an Acer notebook?
biggrin.gif

Nov 12, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #1,311 of 2,480
Quote:
  I have no particular love for my Acer notebook, but Acer isn't the only manufacturer with USB ports that can occasionally fail to supply sufficient current or voltage, per the USB 2.0 spec.  

In other words, when it comes to operating USB-powered audio gear, we're not safe with simply avoiding the Acer brand.

Mike

Maybe you used an Acer notebook? 
biggrin.gif

the cut off happens even when its plugged on the power socket with a usb charger.

Nov 12, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #1,312 of 2,480

the cut off happens even when its plugged on the power socket with a usb charger.

Are you saying that the Concero can cut off ...

...  even when the USB cable from the Concero is plugged into a laptop that is plugged into AC power?

-or- 

...  even when the USB cable from the Concero is plugged into the a 5V power supply that offers only power instead of power and data?

If it's the latter, this is "normal" behavior.   When the Concero receives only power (no data) from the USB cable, it expects to see digital input coming in on the orange RCA connector.  You won't hear anything coming from your amp if you're supplying only power via the USB cable and no data via the connector marked "Digital."

Mike

Nov 13, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #1,314 of 2,480

Are you saying that the Concero can cut off ...

...  even when the USB cable from the Concero is plugged into a laptop that is plugged into AC power?

-or- 

...  even when the USB cable from the Concero is plugged into the a 5V power supply that offers only power instead of power and data?

If it's the latter, this is "normal" behavior.   When the Concero receives only power (no data) from the USB cable, it expects to see digital input coming in on the orange RCA connector.  You won't hear anything coming from your amp if you're supplying only power via the USB cable and no data via the connector marked "Digital."

Mike

yes its the latter, sorry for the confusion! I see, thanks for clarifying. Gahh i wish it had its own power supply, it's a shame because it sounds amazing.

Nov 14, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #1,315 of 2,480
  [snip]

My only concern is, which i know it shouldn't be, but my heart aches to pay such a hefty price for something so small! AND it is usb powered, which i absolutely hate about the concero hp. Also, i experienced something weird... two cut offs so far, where the sound suddenly drops for 2-3 seconds, and gradually comes back, not sure if its because of the power or a faulty unit). 

yes its the latter, sorry for the confusion! I see, thanks for clarifying. Gahh i wish it had its own power supply, it's a shame because it sounds amazing.

OK, that's good, but if you still have the original problem, as seen in bold text, above, the least expensive way to rule out a power-related issue, is to just try moving the USB cable to different ports on the same PC, or move your entire Concero / amp / headphones rig to a different PC.

How frequently do these 2-3 second dropouts occur?  It seems you had only experienced it twice when you first posted about it.  Was this soon after booting your machine - or well after?

Mike

Nov 14, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #1,316 of 2,480
OK, that's good, but if you still have the original problem, as seen in bold text, above, the least expensive way to rule out a power-related issue, is to just try moving the USB cable to different ports on the same PC, or move your entire Concero / amp / headphones rig to a different PC.

How frequently do these 2-3 second dropouts occur?  It seems you had only experienced it twice when you first posted about it.  Was this soon after booting your machine - or well after?

Mike

I've experienced the same thing running the Herus off my iPad. In my case, it's caused by the system audio overriding the music app to deliver an audio alert (e.g., for an incoming email).

Nov 15, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #1,317 of 2,480
Its not frequent, and it doesn't happen straight away, its usually in the middle of a listening session. During these 2 days, i have had only one more dropout, no big deal but has an affect on my confidence in this product, especially an expensive one. Its a shame, because i can't afford the invictus!

Nov 15, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #1,318 of 2,480
Given the infrequent occurrence, it would be difficult to troubleshoot, but the odds are extremely high that you would experience this same problem with every other USB-powered DAC or DAC/Amp attached to that same USB port from which you are supplying power.

It's highly unlikely that this is due to a problem with your Concero HP. I can say this because all USB-powered audio gear can suffer such problems and in bad cases, it's nearly always solved by giving the device an independent, reliable source of 5V power. So, just going on probabilities, I'd say your Concero HP is working perfectly.

So you love the sound, eh? What headphones are you using?

Mike

Nov 15, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #1,320 of 2,480
  How concero comparing to the yulong da8?

The original Concero is not as detailed, nor as dynamic as the Yulong DA8. Concero HD gets closer but still not quite on the same level. Which makes sense as the Concero models are significantly less expensive, and way more compact. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back