Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
Nov 1, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #1,277 of 2,480
  an invicta without a card reader for 1-2k would be great

+1   
biggrin.gif

Nov 1, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #1,278 of 2,480
  Basically a Concero HP w/smart card reader? Would be way cool as an all-in-one solution.

Or how about a stand alone smart card reader in a Concero size case with HDMI output for a monitor or TV for music selection via remote, and a digital output to connect to a DAC.

This would allow a great stacked pairing with any of the Concero's, or any other DAC.

I'd buy one instead of a PC for a source.

Mark

Nov 1, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #1,279 of 2,480

Or how about a stand alone smart card reader in a Concero size case with HDMI output for a monitor or TV for music selection via remote, and a digital output to connect to a DAC.

This would allow a great stacked pairing with any of the Concero's, or any other DAC.

I'd buy one instead of a PC for a source.

Mark

Yeah!  I like that!   And how about adding a two-cell, 7.2V LiPo battery to that same-sized case, with 5VDC USB power output, so that we can power the Concero without a laptop or PC?   The combined stack would basically give you a portable card reader and DAC to line out.  Add a portable amp and you've got desktop quality on the road - without a laptop.

Nov 1, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #1,280 of 2,480

Yeah!  I like that!   And how about adding a two-cell, 7.2V LiPo battery to that same-sized case, with 5VDC USB power output, so that we can power the Concero without a laptop or PC?   The combined stack would basically give you a portable card reader and DAC to line out.  Add a portable amp and you've got desktop quality on the road - without a laptop.

Put a screen on it and you have a big ass dap !

Nov 1, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #1,282 of 2,480
If you're interested in any of the Resonessence DACs contact Kory at HiFiLogic.com. He's located in New Jersey. I purchased a demo Concero for $450 without remote or power adaptor. Looked brand new and I received it in 3 days. If it was a demo it wasn't used much because the sound improved markedly for a couple of weeks. Very happy it with it. Using it strictly as a DAC so far driven by a Yamaha DVD player. Very detailed and not harsh. I have noticed better separation of sounds than before and can often hear more than one instrument where I thought there was only one before. Also hear more depth than before.

Nov 3, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #1,284 of 2,480
Much has been said here about the Concero's ability to isolate individual voices and instruments in the sound stage, but having had the Concero just a few days, thus far, I have to add to my original impressions that I feel as if have NEVER before heard all of the many harmonizing layers and detail contained in Boston's very dense recordings.

Listening to their Boston, Don't Look Back, and Third Stage 44.1/16 CDs, ripped to WAV (not Hi-rez downloads), in comparison to what I've heard with lesser DACs, their music has always sounded congested and busy, but the Concero is refining what has been there all along, yielding a wealth of texture against brief glimpses of blackness that I've just never heard before.

I am so digging the Concero!

WAV > Foobar 2000 > Moon Audio Blue Dragon > Concero (with Apodizing up-sampling) > 24VDC TBI Audio Millenia MG3 > Definitive Technology SM45 near-field monitors

Mike

Nov 5, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #1,285 of 2,480
I still want to know how others have rated the Concero against spdif/usb adapters like jkeny's products, audiophileo, stello u3, and the like.  In my setup I use the Concero mainly as a converter right now and I'm thinking I may re-repurpose it again back to dac duty.

Nov 5, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #1,286 of 2,480
I still want to know how others have rated the Concero against spdif/usb adapters like jkeny's products, audiophileo, stello u3, and the like.  In my setup I use the Concero mainly as a converter right now and I'm thinking I may re-repurpose it again back to dac duty.

I personally like it as a DDC better than my Stello U3 - not a huge difference, but it's slightly better. Which says a lot as the U3 was once considered among the best. I do think the AP1 with PurePower is another step up entirely, but for the price it better be.

Nov 5, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #1,288 of 2,480
  Does anyone know it the HP also will be able to work as a SPDIF bridge with SPDIF out, or is it only the HD that can work as a DDC? Is this a hardware or a software issue?

Per their website:

1. Resonessence will provide a configuration tool on both
    MS WIndows and MAC OS to allow a non-volatile setting
    of the CONCERO HP for S/PDIF mode. Specifically, the
    user will be able to configure the S/PDIF port as an output
    that replicates the data received on the USB port (except
    for DSD128 mode), or operates as an input for the DAC.

I have not had time to check for this - is it released yet? Is it built in to the same software that gets used for FW updates? I'm not quite sure, but I'll work on it and let you know. 

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #1,289 of 2,480
Ok Thanks!

I asked Mark Mallinson on Resonessence Labs the same question and he replied:

"This is something that we have on our 'to do' list. It will be a firmware update. No promises at this point. I suggest that you wait until we implement this feature before ordering.
Mark M"

Nov 6, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #1,290 of 2,480

Hi Mr. Snies.  Read my review of the Concero on my blog listed below in my signature for a glimpse into how it does as a usb/spdif bridge.  It was reviewed in May.  Oh, and the Audiophileo is another  big step up from the Halide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back