Replacement Pads for ATH-A900
Jun 14, 2012 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Nisten

New Head-Fier
I've been scouring the forums and have found several options for replacing the atrocious ear pads on the ATH-A900s. Mine are flaking and shedding badly and leave a black residue whenever I wear them.

My options seem to be:

1. Purchase the same stock pads, which I would prefer not to do for the reasons listed above
  2. Purchase higher-end AT pads, e.g. W5000 pads, which are a bit too expensive for my taste ($100 a pair)
  3. Purchase pads used for other headphones

I was considering ADXXX pads but have heard that the sound becomes a bit thin due to their "open" nature. So ideally I'd like to purchase something like these, used for Beyerdynamic's DT770s, but don't know if they are compatible or if they sacrifice sound quality.

Anyone have any further suggestions/comments?

Thanks a lot 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 18, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #3 of 5
I had the ATH-A900x and I HATED the earpads. I wanted the "leather" pads from the W1000X but guess what? Almost $100 too... :frowning2:

I haven't seen velour pads for ATs though...

Jul 4, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
http://www.audiocubes2.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=ATH&x=0&y=0

Try this website?

Yup, lots of different pads there.

Additionally, I used to use ADxxx pads with my A700s. Yes, the sound becomes thin and not very good. However, if you phat pad them, this can solve that problem. IIRC the sound actually became slightly more full than the stock pads. It was insanely comfortable too. I used some pieces of fabric cut out of an old sweater to stuff the pads (try different thicknesses to acheive optimal results), but you can experiment with other materials as well. Other people I believe have used different types of foam, tubing, or cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back