<Renewed at 2012/03/12>The new HiFiMAN 802 & New UI named "Tai-Chi"
Mar 28, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #108 of 733
My MAIN goal is having the best sound possible. second goal is getting that sound and still being portable. I have the Dx100 and its sound is spectacular. Very clean, detailed, powerful, and the EQ works very well. I had the 801 for over a month and it is a very nice player and yes I like the simplicity of it but the player is not as powerful as the IBasso DX100 at all and not even as powerful as the Cowon D2 so I will need a amp to go with the 801 brick (DX100 is also a brick but no amp needed to be attached to it cause it has the power). If the 802 can have equal the power of the iBasso and sounds as good and it is not Andriod then I will but it right away.

Mar 29, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #109 of 733
Quote:
I had the 801 for over a month and it is a very nice player and yes I like the simplicity of it but the player is not as powerful as the IBasso DX100 at all and not even as powerful as the Cowon D2 so I will need a amp to go with the 801 brick (DX100 is also a brick but no amp needed to be attached to it cause it has the power).

The Balanced amp card for the HM-801 is actually much more powerful than the DX100. It delivers 440mW and the DX100 is "only" 245mW. There is also a single ended power amp (blue PCB) which is supplied with newer HM-801 units, but I haven't seen any spec's for it yet.

Mar 29, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #110 of 733

Quote:
The Balanced amp card for the HM-801 is actually much more powerful than the DX100. It delivers 440mW and the DX100 is "only" 245mW. There is also a single ended power amp (blue PCB) which is supplied with newer HM-801 units, but I haven't seen any spec's for it yet.

why would anyone spend another $250, on top of $790 you paid for the hm801?

hifiman SHOULD use balanced amp card as the default hm801 amp and charge $790 for it. or else, what's stopping anyone from buying DX100? nothing

Mar 29, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #111 of 733

Then I must have been hearing the stock amp.
Quote:

Mar 29, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #112 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_djoel2000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why would anyone spend another $250, on top of $790 you paid for the hm801?

hifiman SHOULD use balanced amp card as the default hm801 amp and charge $790 for it. or else, what's stopping anyone from buying DX100? nothing

I think your viewpoint is outdated. The later HM-801 units has been shipped with BOTH a standard amp for iem's AND a power amp module for full size headphones.

Nobody is stopping anybody from anything as long as it's not illegal, I guess. I may want an Ipod with 24-bit support and high end DAC chip and super amp included. I may want a Porche for price of a VW and that all computers should include a printer for the same price and, and, and ... this is just not how things are.

The balanced amp is only for those who want to drive their headphones like that. THAT is an extra cost, but there are in fact no other DAP's even giving you that opportunity to choose. You are forced to buy a separte portable amp. HM-801 with the optional balanced module is a one-box solution that no other DAP can come up with (at the moment at least).

Mar 29, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #113 of 733
Well, I guess we're all watching and waiting to see what HifiMan can come up with, in response to 801 criticisms, and DX100 gauntlet-throwing from iBasso.

The ball is in HifiMan's court at the moment. With the 802/901, they have an opportunity to silence criticisms of the 801. The question is: Will they? 
normal_smile .gif

Mar 29, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #115 of 733

Quote:
Ok, I'm probably going to be called a troll, but still: They haven't fixed the firmware of the "original" HM-801. Why would anybody want to spend money on any new product?

popcorn.gif

Mar 29, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #116 of 733
that's exactly why they come up with new product

Quote:
Ok, I'm probably going to be called a troll, but still: They haven't fixed the firmware of the "original" HM-801. Why would anybody want to spend money on any new product?

Mar 30, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #117 of 733
Quote:

I have talked to Fang about this, and he says they outsourced the firmware project. I guess they are working on the new HM-series instead of doing something about the "old". He said that the EQ is disabled because the contract with Microsoft is over. In other words the EQ won't be back even with an update of the old firmware
frown.gif

He also said, that they have been working on the firmware for the new HM-players for about 3 years now ...

Mar 30, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #118 of 733

Quote:
I have talked to Fang about this, and he says they outsourced the firmware project. I guess they are working on the new HM-series instead of doing something about the "old". He said that the EQ is disabled because the contract with Microsoft is over. In other words the EQ won't be back even with an update of the old firmware ...

Wait that don't make sense? Why can't you just revert to an older version of the firmware and thus fix the EQ issues? Otherwise you Hifiman owners (is this limited to the 801 or the whole series) are left holding the bag...
rolleyes.gif

Mar 30, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #119 of 733
Quote:
Wait that don't make sense? Why can't you just revert to an older version of the firmware and thus fix the EQ issues? Otherwise you Hifiman owners (is this limited to the 801 or the whole series) are left holding the bag...
rolleyes.gif

Because the EQ was licensed for a certain period. Users with the older firmware can still use it of course, but HiFiMan can't let people upload it from their site. This is how I understand it - I may be wrong.

Mar 30, 2012 at 6:21 AM Post #120 of 733

Quote:
Because the EQ was licensed for a certain period. Users with the older firmware can still use it of course, but HiFiMan can't let people upload it from their site. This is how I understand it - I may be wrong.

That makes sense. But I'm sure people must have a copy of the Older firmware right? Sharing is caring :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back