<Renewed at 2012/03/12>The new HiFiMAN 802 & New UI named "Tai-Chi"
Mar 21, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #91 of 733
I think there's plenty of room still even w/ the DX100 out.  Reading that the DX100 improved via LO w/ the O2 tells me its not the be all end all single box solution using HO.  The DAC section might be nice but I'd rather have a slimmer DAP/DAC w/ the transparent amp of my choice taking up roughly the same amount of space.  Same goes for the 801/2/901/whatever.    

Mar 21, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #92 of 733
The DX100's line out to the O2 amp produces a very small improvement with HD800s which are notoriously hard to drive, and only because the O2 is an incredibly high performing portable amp.  With the LCD3 the differences are pretty negligible, there's really no difference to be heard.  The DX100's built in amp may be the best portable amp out there aside from the O2.  Hooking it up to the usual suspects is only going to produce disappointment, it isn't necessary.  The integration and not having to use cables is a big plus, to where the amp you're hooking it up to would have to be well inside the desktop class to produce an improvement.

Mar 21, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #94 of 733

Quote:
I was just trying to be nice to DX100 fans.lol..actually what i heard is 801 system is better and easier to use. haha He said unless u r a Android guy, or it will be hard to use.

801 is easy for me to use apart from I have to keep pressing until I find the right album

Android is pretty damn intuitive. My girlfriend is one of the least tech savvy people on the planet, she is not a fan, and does get a little lost with the Zune HD's interface, but has no problem whatsoever manipulating Android, and never did. I mean, there really isn't much at all to figure out.

Mar 22, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #95 of 733

Quote:
BTW, I very much doubt the 802/901 will employ a Sabre DAC.

Too voltage-hungry(?) and frankly, there's no sense in going directly head-to-head with the Sabre-based DX100, since the DX100's implementation is unlikely to be beaten unless HiFiman know something quite dramatic about implementing the Sabre DAC that has eluded iBasso.

I'll be happy enough to be proven wrong on this, though 
normal_smile .gif

I agree totally. Hifiman will have to come up with something that ibasso doesn't offer for eg: NOS dac chip or balanced amp or better yet balanced DAC/amp. I too am very interested in what they come up with because if it is in the same price echelon, it's going to have to be pretty special to sell. T'will be interesting!
(&  i'm not a hifiman fan as of yet)

Mar 22, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #96 of 733
A good quality 802Music Player, which betters the 801, and has no touch screen, apps,email or other stuff I will never use on a DAP,
will get my money pretty quickly

Mar 22, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #97 of 733

Quote:
Dx100 isn't much smaller at all. And the system seem to be as painful as 801 from what I heard. Let's see if 901 is really "portable"

I think the 801 is noticeably bigger than the DX100. Although not a huge difference, but enough to make it not portable at all IMO. Its noticeably wider than the DX100, that's for sure. Not pocket friendly. The DX100 interface isn't as good as the iphone 4 but not miles behind it either. I would find the access and UI much better than the 601, I'm sure the same goes for the 801...

Mar 22, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #98 of 733

Quote:
I think the 801 is noticeably bigger than the DX100. Although not a huge difference, but enough to make it not portable at all IMO. Its noticeably wider than the DX100, that's for sure. Not pocket friendly. The DX100 interface isn't as good as the iphone 4 but not miles behind it either. I would find the access and UI much better than the 601, I'm sure the same goes for the 801...

Have you played with the 802/901 UI demo, Lee?

Mar 22, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #99 of 733
That's what 901 will offer I think :) I do love the colored sound of 801. Thicker and fuller sound suits my taste better. Hope this doesn't change on 901.

Quote:

Mar 22, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #102 of 733

Quote:
That's what 901 will offer I think :) I do love the colored sound of 801. Thicker and fuller sound suits my taste better. Hope this doesn't change on 901.

You still get a very full yet natural and balanced sound with the DX100. Would be interesting though to hear the new Hifiman release...

Mar 23, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #105 of 733

Quote:
The DX100's built in amp may be the best portable amp out there aside from the O2.  

Pass, my Leckerton is more transparent than the O2 which happens to be sitting in a box atm.  For me that means the DX100 is an oversized portable DAC.

Just in case, I've heard two different O2's so there's nothing wrong w/ mine.  
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back