<Renewed at 2012/03/12>The new HiFiMAN 802 & New UI named "Tai-Chi"
Apr 6, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #167 of 733
901 will. Others don't :)
Quote:
Not having ever used a Hifiman player, does anyone know if they play ALAC files?  I see they play AAC.

Apr 7, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #168 of 733

Quote:
It is still capable of delivering 440mW into the (full size) headphone you may choose. If you buy the balanced amp module, it includes a balanced cable (for HE-series headphones, but this cable could be terminated to just about any headphone with detachable cables) plus an extra plug for balanced drive that you can solder on the cable of the headphone you have.

BTW - I have been told that the power amp delivered with newer HM-801 is about 200mW.

One thing I've noticed switching from the SE jack to the Balanced jack is the balanced jack has double the gain. But this is only using regular TRS headphones and comes out on one side. Using TRRS through balanced gives me same amount of gain as TRS on SE jack. Using TRS on balanced jack through adaptor still gives me same amount of gain.

To be perfectly honest though, can't hear a single difference between SE, balanced and my friends SE power amp. Nor can my sound engineer friend, who has notably different hearing to me (and quite more sensitive too). I hope Fang doesn't waste our time and money with another pointless upgrade like the balanced amp in the future. Taught me a good lesson, buying that amp module...

Apr 16, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #169 of 733
Looking at the current 901 banner ad, here on Head-fi, I see TRRS is to be implemented on this DAP...

Issues relating to TRRS connectors were discussed some time ago:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/497427/balanced-trrs-connector-on-future-hifiman-iems

Nice to see they're (hopefully) going to go ahead and cater for variations in IEMs/Cans:

As per OP's pic, from erji.net, it does look to be a little more compact than the DX100, although I'm guessing, from the above mock-up pics, that the casing is made from plastic (DX100 is part-aluminium, part-magnesium)

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #170 of 733

I hope this new upcoming player can sound even better then the DX100!
Quote:
Looking at the current 901 banner ad, here on Head - fi, I see TRRS is to be implemented on this DAP...

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #171 of 733
Fang, please give up on TRRS. It has little to no sound quality improvement. I bought your balanced amp and balanced HE-series cable and it was a waste of money in my opinion. I do not want to pay more for useless features.

If the inclusion of TRRS marks the HM-901 price up, I won't buy it. If it comes with more than 2 ohms output impedance, I won't buy it.

Apr 17, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #172 of 733
weird cause the 801 really felt like plastic when I used it but many have told me its metal/

Quote:
Looking at the current 901 banner ad, here on Head-fi, I see TRRS is to be implemented on this DAP...

Issues relating to TRRS connectors were discussed some time ago:

Nice to see they're (hopefully) going to go ahead and cater for variations in IEMs/Cans:

As per OP's pic, from erji.net, it does look to be a little more compact than the DX100, although I'm guessing, from the above mock-up pics, that the casing is made from plastic (DX100 is part-aluminium, part-magnesium)

Apr 17, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #173 of 733
The 901 looks a bit like plastic exterior, but definitely not 801.

If you have ever used an old Aiwa or Sony cassette player of the premium type, 801 looks a bit of the same shape.

Materials used is whole exterior covered by metal casing like armour, front and back. When player is not playing, you can feel it like a metal brick as it is cold like any metal. If you are playing it with music for a while, it feels warm and again a metal brick.

Nothing on the 801 looks and feel plastic at all. Any users here will tell you probably that it is in fact too "metal" that makes it a little too simple in design.

Perhaps you have mixed up with other models in your memory?

Apr 17, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #174 of 733
So, I Seriously wonder how this TRRS Balanced switch is gonna work. Obviously by the pictures in the ads, it at least exists in a design from HifiMan, so it's not something to ignore. Anyone theorize what is gonna happen so this isnt a major design flaw where people accidently flip the switch and do some damage. 

EDIT: I'm hoping its able to be disabled in the OS, so no accidents happen. We still havent seen the bottom or top of this thing

Apr 17, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #175 of 733
Well then I am totally wrong in believing the 801 looked like plastic but I had it for over a week in my hand. It did sound good.

Quote:
The 901 looks a bit like plastic exterior, but definitely not 801.
If you have ever used an old Aiwa or Sony cassette player of the premium type, 801 looks a bit of the same shape.
Materials used is whole exterior covered by metal casing like armour, front and back. When player is not playing, you can feel it like a metal brick as it is cold like any metal. If you are playing it with music for a while, it feels warm and again a metal brick.
Nothing on the 801 looks and feel plastic at all. Any users here will tell you probably that it is in fact too "metal" that makes it a little too simple in design.
Perhaps you have mixed up with other models in your memory?

Apr 17, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #177 of 733
I hope the HM-901's amplifier output impedance will be less than 2 ohms, unlike the 18-36 ohm HM-801.

Yep, me too.

Hifiman would have to be INSANE to ignore the needs of very low-impedance BA custom IEM users. That'd be close to half the potential customers for the 901.

I categorically will NOT purchase the 901 if the output impedance is more than 2 ohms (and even 2 ohms would be excessive, IMHO).

The DAP world is watching and waiting; we shall see...

Apr 17, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #178 of 733
What is the output impedance on the game amp module?

Maybe they will still sport different amp modules in the 901? Hmm.

Apr 17, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #179 of 733
What is the output impedance on the game amp module?

Maybe they will still sport different amp modules in the 901? Hmm.

I may be mistaken about this, but I suspect that the 901 is too compact to cater for modular amp boards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back