Removing the foam from HD600
May 8, 2004 at 2:49 PM Post #91 of 112
Hello,

Is anyone still using their Senns with the foam removed. I tried it again recently but reckon it's one step forward & two steps back. The gains in treble detail & transparency are not enough to compensate for the percieved lack of bass. I guess a lot depends on the recording though. The best solution could be a kinda halfway alternative. Anyone tried removing the foam from the HD650's yet?

May 8, 2004 at 3:00 PM Post #92 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel
Hello,

Is anyone still using their Senns with the foam removed. I tried it again recently but reckon it's one step forward & two steps back. The gains in treble detail & transparency are not enough to compensate for the percieved lack of bass. I guess a lot depends on the recording though. The best solution could be a kinda halfway alternative.

I have some older senns where the foam had holes from use, and that did not improve the sound.. just thinking about halfway-alternatives
wink.gif

I still have the foam removed from my 600s, but thought about putting it in again for re-evaluation. You are absolutely right, if the recording is not balanced, you will possibly miss bass, but OTOH I always felt the bass to be too dominant with the foam in. I think I will upgrade my 600s with an Equinox cable later this year (I need 1-2 meters extra anyway
icon10.gif
) and will then test with the foam in/out again.

May 8, 2004 at 3:18 PM Post #93 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel
Hello,

Is anyone still using their Senns with the foam removed. I tried it again recently but reckon it's one step forward & two steps back. The gains in treble detail & transparency are not enough to compensate for the percieved lack of bass. I guess a lot depends on the recording though. The best solution could be a kinda halfway alternative. Anyone tried removing the foam from the HD650's yet?

Yes. IMO this is mandatory to get an absolute transparent sound. I've done that to my HD-600 for one year before buying the 650. When i got the 650 i tried first with the foam and found the sound a little muffled especially in the bass!. You've got more clarity in the whole spectrum range without the foam.
I listen to rather loud volume and like with speakers it's very important IMO to remove anything between the drivers and your ears.
Maybe at low level it's no that much important.

May 8, 2004 at 3:41 PM Post #95 of 112
Hi,

No they are naked
biggrin.gif
, yes you have to take care but hopefully they put those plastic things...the Senheiser guys are smart i'm sure it's intended to be used without, if you want...look how easy you remove the foams.

May 8, 2004 at 5:04 PM Post #96 of 112
Without the foam don't you think the sound is quieter for any given volume level? I wonder if this is to do with pressure chamber around the ears? Also, I personally think it's more comfortable with the foam in place for long listening sessions. I wonder whether Sennheiser used this particular type & thickness of foam to enhance the overall sound or its just there to protect the drivers? Interesting though, I guess that's what contributes to the hands on ownership of these wonderful cans. To foam or not to foam, which replacement cable etc. and think of all the different ways of positioning the headband adjustment this makes a big difference on sound quality & obviously, comfort. I tend to prefer slightly loose then up one notch, I'll have to check how many notches down that is. It obviously depends on the size & shape of your skull.

Best,

Nigel

May 8, 2004 at 5:51 PM Post #97 of 112
I don't use it without foam any more because on many recordings, the treble was so bright, it was excruciatingly painful.

May 8, 2004 at 7:44 PM Post #98 of 112
Hmmm...
The one thing about the 650s that's still hard for me to get used to is the recessed treble relative to the 600s. I like the treble energy of the 600s, even if it is a bit unnatural compared to the 650s. I think what I really want is an "HD625" with the resolution, instument separation, bass extension of the 650s combined with the sonic flavor of the 600s. Heh, reading this thread, maybe removing the foam from the 650s would be a step in that direction. I think I'll have to try this soon, though I still really don't like the idea of foamless 650s being exposed to the oils of my ears.

May 8, 2004 at 8:04 PM Post #99 of 112
Simply take a piece of old hose and stretch it over the earpiece. Works like a charm.

May 8, 2004 at 9:00 PM Post #100 of 112
I just tried this with my 650/Silver Dragon combo and the treble is definitely more pronounced, unfortunately too pronounced, it can get really shrill. Wish there was a Senn covering in half thickness!

May 8, 2004 at 9:25 PM Post #101 of 112
I removed the foam from my Senn 580s about 5 months ago but I found it made the highs too harsh & bright. But there were definite gains in clarity & detail so I went about finding a solution. I picked up a bunch of scraps from the local fabric store to try out and I eventually found something that I liked. The highs can still be a bit much at times with solidstate equipment but my tube amp takes care of that problem.

The fabric I'm using right now is similar to what you'd find in a thin pillowcase, moderately thin synthetic & cotton blend of some sort and it's non-stretchy. Kills a bit of the clarity & detail compared to naked drivers but it's still a lot better IMO than the original foam.

Nov 30, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #104 of 112
wow, this mod makes the HD600 sooo sweet for metal and rock, it realy brightens the sound!

for RnB it*s not so cool though!

I would be intrested if this would help the HD650s clear up a little bit too, anybody?

Nov 30, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #105 of 112

Quote:
I would be intrested if this would help the HD650s clear up a little bit too, anybody?

Yes it does. And as Aerius already stated, you can tune the sound with the material you use. I am using one layer of dish cloth, which is very thin and perforated with a lot of little holes.  It gives the sound the clarity that I want, without making it too bright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back