Reformed Audio Ignorance Club
Sep 18, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #16 of 26

Quote:
Quote:

Is that you Andy?

LOL,You still mad?

What other gear have you heard that the FiiO combo outperformed?

I'm not denying it's an excellent entry level proposition, but the way some of you guys portray it as a pinnacle is a bit much. It's not even the only option out there in that price range. Anyway, I wasn't crapping on the FiiO and apologise to the OP for the derail. My first post was made tongue in cheek (it even had a disclaimer).

There's a lot to be wary of in this hobby, but the important thing to keep sight of is that all this gear is just a means to an end. Who cares if you're rocking Beats or Skullcandy? If you enjoy your music through any of these devices, that's all that matters.

Sep 18, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #17 of 26
I was a SkullCandy loyalist, recently converted. Now I wonder what the hell I was thinking. I love my Grados, Shures & Ultrasones. Can't imagine going back now.

Sep 18, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #18 of 26
Love the title of the thread. Not ashamed to say I was an ignorant audio scum during my younger years with my 15$ Philips, cheap AIWA IEMs and Sony earbuds. For me it was Music > all, even now. I don't mind playing my favorite CDs in the cheap car stereo, as long as you can move to the groove if you know what I mean. I remember I had that awareness when I was toting my walkman hearing that hiss and looking at the Dolby NR on 'newer' tapes. Nowadays, audiophile grade headphones are more accessible and affordable to everyone and I for one think that it's pretty much a sin to not get decent headphones if you are a music lover.

Sep 18, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #19 of 26
I'd like to think I graduated from ignorance, but I don't deny that there is still a lot that I don't know.

I remember many years ago I bought a pair of bose earphones.. and I thought they sounded great.. until I read somewhere that the Shure E2cs were much better and for the same price.. so I took them back and bought a pair of those instead..

I eventually lost the E2cs and went back to using ipod earbuds for a few years, if I listened at all..

A few weeks ago I bought a pair of Klipsch Image X5s because I read good reviews and I've always liked the sound of Klipsch products.. and listening to those IEMs made me realize just how crappy my current headphones (truthfully a gaming headset..) on my Pc were.. so I decided I wanted to upgrade. Then I started thinking about how much it would really cost.. if I bought a nice pair of cans and my crappy on-board sound wasn't enough to power them.. then I started looking at DACs and amps..

I was resisting the upgrade.. because I had been looking at the Sennheisers 600s or 650s, as they came highly recommended.. and people were recommending amps that cost more than the 'phones.. so I told myself I was better off not going down that road.. and I was doing fine with that until a week ago when my headset broke in half.. so I had to get a replacement.

I picked up a pair of SRH840s at guitar center since they were local and brought them home.. I hooked them up to my receiver and was blown away with the sound.. I had never heard such great sound before, at least not in headphones.. Within 2 days , though.. I realized that they hurt my ears to wear for longer than 1-2 hours.. so I did some research online and decided to buy the SRH940s instead.. since they were reportedly more comfortable, and came with nicer accessories (2 cables instead of 1 and a rubberized hard case) I decided go ahead and buy a cheap DAC and Amp while I was at it.. just in case I wanted to upgrade to more demanding headphones later on..

So I'm sitting here 3 weeks later, out about $700.. but re-discovering all of my music again with a nice pair of IEMs, a good pair of headphones and a decent DAC/amp (E7/E9)..

I fear that this is only the beginning.. but I'm at least hoping that this stuff will hold me for a while.

Sep 18, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #20 of 26
I don't remember too much from back then, but what I do remember was that I originally planned on going with a 5.1 or 7.1 speaker setup when I had the money, never mind that the room that my desktop was in wouldn't have any ideal places to mount the rear speakers given that there are other desktops in the same room. Surround sound would help with positional imaging in games, that was for sure, but all I could ever hope to afford were cheap computer speakers at best.

In fact, my family did keep a very cheap set of 5.1 speakers around for use in the computer room, but I never really did get the sensation that I had precise surround sound. The fact that the rear speakers were unevenly placed didn't help with that, and the fact that they were really cheap computer speakers made it all worse. Still, the idea of using headphones as the primary sound output never crossed my mind; I only used some cheap Logitech headset when it came down to that. Pitiful quality, pitiful comfort, but it had a mic and didn't annoy everyone else in the house. Plus, I still had the notion of having the speakers play the game sounds and the headset play voice chat only, much as the Xbox would do it.

Then I started reading up on CMSS-3D Headphone and how to set it up properly. I already had the X-Fi card necessary to use it, but never turned it on for whatever reason. I just used some of the headphones lying around here to try it with (mostly a Sony MDR-CD180 I picked up at a yard sale for a few bucks and my stepfather's Sansui SS-20)...and found it somewhat convincing, if a bit too closed in with those headphones.

After that, I did my research (some of it just lurking this place) and picked up some AD700s. (This was before all the Superlux/Samson hype; had I known about the SR850, that might have turned out a little differently.) Suddenly, the surround sound I was getting out of this set of headphones was so convincing and precise enough that I no longer wanted a surround speaker setup. Binaural was the way to go-it provided me with precise imaging from any direction, and as a bonus, I didn't need to annoy everyone else in the house with the sound. (Music sounded a bit nicer, too, so long as I remembered to turn CMSS-3D Headphone off when I wasn't gaming.)

That was the catalyst right there. Now I stopped lurking and actively join in the discussion here, and all of a sudden, everyone else thinks I'm an audiophile in spite of my lack of trained audiophile ears and experience with ultra-high-end equipment I can't hope to afford on the other places I frequent. In other words, I'm the go-to guy for audio advice now in certain circles. On top of all that, I bought a set of vintage Stax Lambdas to further help learn what my ears have been missing, simply out of sheer luck that they were within my budget. I'm even enjoying music much more now with the way these electrostatics sing, and I'm almost certain it isn't placebo.

Oh, and I did buy a pair of iBuds a few years ago, I'll admit that. But it wasn't under any pretense of them sounding hi-fi, but because of the simple fact that they were the most comfortable earbuds I had ever worn, and I wanted something portable and comfortable for long periods of time. I've since lost them, though before that, the rubber started peeling off and a sharp edge revealed as a result suddenly made them UNcomfortable, defeating the whole purpose of owning them specifically. (This was before the MDR-CD180s came into my possession, and I'd still use those for portable listening if a critical part that holds the left cup on the headband didn't snap off.)

Sep 18, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #24 of 26
Started with iBuds(and a decent sounding iPod Shuffle 2G) for the longest time, then to a pair of Altec Lansing Backbeats, which broke, twice. I upgraded to one of their higher end IEMS, the Titanium(80% markdown) afterwards and to this day, they still serve me well. Despite all the shoving into pockets. And interestingly enough, their soundstage is a bit on the small side, but it feels very precise. Less bassy sound sig too, felt quite clear. Then came DSP manager on my old D1, and I finally started messing around with EQ. Gotta love how much a sound sig can clear up with some tuning, despite being limited to 5 frequency bands.
Though I do want an HD598 or AKG K702 (something flat sounding) during the holiday season, I don't really want to walk down that road of getting an amp just yet. It'll run at least 500 to get a decent setup.

Sep 18, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #25 of 26
Yeah I used to listen to dynamics, bleh.
tongue.gif

Sep 18, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #26 of 26
Well, at first I just used iPod earbuds for awhile, went through a few of those...never actually bought any though, just moved onto another pair laying around the house when mine broke.  I eventually decided to get something nicer after going through about 2 or 3 of them...and got a pair of skullcandies.  To me, it was like a breath of fresh air, a revelation - I had never known my music could sound so good.

For awhile I kept on getting new ones after mine broke (skullcandy actually has a really good warranty, I broke several pairs but only had to buy maybe two or three?), but a few years ago I got a pair of Bose Triports as a christmas present, and again I pretty much learned to listen to my music again (despite all of the hate they get around here, the Triports really aren't that bad).  Eventually those broke (I had to replace the plug twice and eventually got tired of that) so I decided to move up to something better - and got the HD595.  But really, there wasn't a huge difference between the two, though the HD595s were more comfortable.

Anyway, I guess I just naturally progressed towards this hobby.  I've always liked things being as perfect as they can be, and audio quality is no exception.  But once upon a time I really didn't know any better, like pretty much everyone else here...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back