Referencesounds/LFF's modded HE-5 >Code-X< thread
Feb 9, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #166 of 344
Hifiman uses teak for the 560. The pads are most likely pleathers

oh okay..they turned away from wood in the past because of the costs in production concerned and the cracking wood issues on their models.. so seeing the price being again (899usd?) very tight i was curious whether they would use real wood again...

Feb 10, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #167 of 344
Yup. The original wood tended to crack before you even used them. Very delicate. Even though it was CNC'd, it was also expensive and time consuming to make. Still...HiFiMan makes some excellent sounding models.

Trust me...wood cups are a real PITA.

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #169 of 344
Feb 10, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #170 of 344
  I know. I love the look and feel of real wooden cups.

Are there modern lacquers that are formulated to retain the wooden feel, yet still drastically enhance the durability (against cracks)?

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #171 of 344
  Are there modern lacquers that are formulated to retain the wooden feel, yet still drastically enhance the durability (against cracks)?

Don't really know.

There are some that are mainly used to keep moisture out. There are other finishes that can make wood weather proof too (for at least 80 years or so). Just depends on the look and feel you want.

Feb 11, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #172 of 344
Don't really know.

There are some that are mainly used to keep moisture out. There are other finishes that can make wood weather proof too (for at least 80 years or so). Just depends on the look and feel you want.

Mine is made like the old ways ..with beewax finish..love the feel and matt black vintage look of this phone!!very organic feel..

am still fabergasted that this phone can sound so much better with an amp i found lying around of just 49usd then the rig i had being a 337 and a tricked out he500... Still cant get my mind to accept it..fist i thought it was the new product placebo feeling..but i have it a couple of weeks now and it still keeps sounding better and better....i even use the code-x for movies and gaming now..something i didnt do with the he500 as my beyer mmx300 was better in that..well..the beyers have been in their bag even since the code-x landed! Still unbelievable..i cant imagine what this phone will sound like when it gets the amp he deserves ..but soon it will happen.. :p

Luis, my friend..i know i said it couple of times before..but.. I want to thank u again...

Ps...phillyd started a appreciating thread for ALL hifiman owners (see my signature) and i gave him this thread as leading appreciation thread for the he5...and he included it as such...Hope u dont mind i did that. :p

Feb 11, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #173 of 344

There are various types of epoxy finishes that can give a hard finish. You can also impregnate certain woods with resin/polymers to harden them throughout, but this involves various chemicals, submerging the entire piece, heat and/or compression, and a lot of time. There's also an inbetween process used for rot repair and restoration.

Probably more options out there, but that's all I know about.

Feb 11, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #174 of 344
7 layers of polyutherane with a final buffer on the last coat, first thick coat and then light coats eith light 800grit wet sanding in between for the chemicals to bond to the surface better. It will give you a nice shiny, hard to wear finish and locks the wood without any exposure to air going in such humidity to cause cracks.

Another one is a two part polyethylene bonding agent with polyutherane acrylic used to give the really shiny thick coats on some expensive furniture and industrial floors.

Feb 20, 2014 at 5:37 AM Post #175 of 344
Just have to add in to my thread.

Code-X driven by EC 2A3 w/ upgraded tubes... pure musical (yeah... i know, it's a word to avoid) bliss.
HD800 is still favourite, but the gap between them has been closed with a transformer-coupled amp.

/V

Mar 16, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #176 of 344
for anyone interested..my 'first impressions' thread is online now about my new rig with the code-x and my new amp...its my first review of sorts so bare with me
biggrin.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/710504/blue-circle-pag-custom-headphone-amp#post_10368489

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #178 of 344
Just a head's up to anyone who's considering the Code-X. I am considering selling mine for personal reasons.
put some pics online..it will certainly help the sell!
And post this also on the he500 thread and he6 thread...good luck with the sales my friend...

Mar 18, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #179 of 344
any tips for taking care of the wood while it's still attached to the headphone...

I might be getting DairyProduce [ironically I work those two departments at wal mart]  Code X or I'll be getting wood cups installed onto my HE 4, either way I'll have 3 wood housed headphones here soon :3

but my W1000x and Cocobolo D2k need some love and care... they are polished and well taken care of but I wonder how I should best countinue to care for them

Mar 19, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #180 of 344
  any tips for taking care of the wood while it's still attached to the headphone...

I might be getting DairyProduce [ironically I work those two departments at wal mart]  Code X or I'll be getting wood cups installed onto my HE 4, either way I'll have 3 wood housed headphones here soon :3

but my W1000x and Cocobolo D2k need some love and care... they are polished and well taken care of but I wonder how I should best countinue to care for them

Feed-N-Wax - you can get it at home depot. Probably the best wax I've found. It is the same stuff Audeze includes with their kits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back