Referencesounds/LFF's modded HE-5 >Code-X< thread
Jan 12, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #151 of 344
That treble is very, very clean. Too bad with that 5k resonance thing, but still not anything to be concerned about . Very impressive.

Jan 12, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #152 of 344
That treble is very, very clean. Too bad with that 5k resonance thing, but still not anything to be concerned about . Very impressive.

Yep that treble made me smile also..the phone looks like having a very balanced sound... Soon i have him in my greedy arms as its in transit as we speak..pity my amp has a delay because of upgrades to make him better but that need to be tested first :D so i cant use the code-x yet with my new amp.. :xf_eek:

Update on my code-x: got a first picture from luis while i am waiting for actual delivery this week (if usps is nice to me)

As i said before..Luis gave a very special touch to it..and behold: black woodsie :D

According to Luis It had been stained in black using a special penetrating dye. Sealed with
an old school beeswax finish. :). They look and feel very "old world" if i may quote Luis.

I have to apologize for the bad quality of the pic as its a pic from a pic of the lcd screen of his camera..he lost his camera usb cable.. :rolleyes: but am glad he sent me this pic anyway..beewax gives a very beautiful silk shine..which u cannot see very well on the pic...but as soon i have him in my hands i will make some pics of myself from all corners and with good lighting :wink:

i love the oldschool style of my phone..its like those very old pistols pirates used back in the days when life was still a real challenge..if they would have had headphones on their ships it would look like this..harharharharhar... Damn..lost my hook again! Woman! HEY WOMAN..Where did u put my favorite HOOK in the name of Neptune!!!. Find it or else u will have the short walk over the plank and visit the sharks soon..oopsie...i already feel it..can u see it? :p

Thanks Luis for the pic. Ur the best!

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #153 of 344
update..its in!!

damn..it looks like its hundreds years old...the wood is made old looking!...dont know how Luis did that but it looks like the wood has had a long cherished life already...its really special..its not glossy but matt dark black and its very hard to make a good photo off as the flash bumps of the very deep black 'worn look' cups.. :D

Luis u overdid urself..i by joke mentioned i wanted a black woody which looked like it was made in the golden ages of music (beethoven era),,..like those old pirate pistols..i once had such a thing in my hand..was soooo beautiful..it wasnt glossy or had a slick surface...but u felt a 'real' living surface...everything of the wood u felt on ur fingertips...and what did that crazy Luis do....made cups look and feel like it was made 300 years ago!!..i dont know how he did it... and ITS HEAVY!! i wonder how much layers of black dye he put on the cups...it feels rough but organic but soooo real... OMG..HOW DID U DO THIS????? i made a joke to say i wanted a pirate pistol wood look and feel... i am so in luck i didnt say i wanted to have a vampire look... or else :wink:

and those pads..soft als calf leather ..am not kidding..i know how pleather feels...but this is a whole new ball game..ur ears are really spoiled when u have them on....and the stitchings!!! just look urself....its as soft as the softest leather but without the smell.

and now something special...the headband...it looks like standard but a bit thicker...but on ur head it feels so much softer..so when i touched it with my fingers it felt as if there is memory foam (or some other memory foam) stitched inside (u know..that nasa foam as used in matrasses as in my bed!)..it feels soooo soft... :wink:

the hole for the connectors is perfectly round made...as if it already was there... but 'point the resistance' stays the feel u get when u go over the cups with ur finger tips...its NOT SLICK..u feel the uneven wood under it..am not kidding! some might not like it and want a glossy (standard look)... but for me... :D

well i dont have my new amp yet... so i cant give u a sonic impression...but concerning esthetic looks and feel gives me a very happy feeling!!

i dont know why..but it was hard to take any decent pic from the phone..am guessing it must be because of the old style that doesnt have any modern glossy oil in it but old fashioned Bee-Wax, what gives it a sliky dark organic look and feel! didnt knew people still now how to use that do that! but Luis did it!! even my fashion addict wife (with a fashion designer background back in the days) loved the look! she never saw something like it she said in real life..
bad thing is that the flash closes in on the little sexy imperfections of the wood itself...so bare with me...i did my best..it certainly looks better in real life then on pics..thats for sure! and my new cable from Toxic cables looks so sexy with it with its real carbon connectors :wink:

so here are the pics...the model in the pics is my 11year old little princess...she loved the headphones so much that she wanted to have pics with them to put on her facebook page...AND MY WIFE TOOK THE PICS WILLINGLY ...so this is a first...young and adult women both like same thing..thats almost a miracle!..lolz

hope u like the pics...they are made with a iphone 4s and a samsung S4...so no professional photo-sooped pics :wink:
when i have my amp i will put a review online about the phone and amp..and cable ofcourse.. :D

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #154 of 344
update..its in!!

damn..it looks like its hundreds years old...the wood is made old looking!...dont know how Luis did that but it looks like the wood has had a long cherished life already...its really special..its not glossy but matt dark black and its very hard to make a good photo off as the flash bumps of the very deep black 'worn look' cups.. :D

Luis u overdid urself..i by joke mentioned i wanted a black woody which looked like it was made in the golden ages of music (beethoven era),,..like those old pirate pistols..i once had such a thing in my hand..was soooo beautiful..it wasnt glossy or had a slick surface...but u felt a 'real' living surface...everything of the wood u felt on ur fingertips...and what did that crazy Luis do....made cups look and feel like it was made 300 years ago!!..i dont know how he did it... and ITS HEAVY!! i wonder how much layers of black dye he put on the cups...it feels rough but organic but soooo real... OMG..HOW DID U DO THIS????? i made a joke to say i wanted a pirate pistol wood look and feel... i am so in luck i didnt say i wanted to have a vampire look... or else :wink:

and those pads..soft als calf leather ..am not kidding..i know how pleather feels...but this is a whole new ball game..ur ears are really spoiled when u have them on....and the stitchings!!! just look urself....its as soft as the softest leather but without the smell.

and now something special...the headband...it looks like standard but a bit thicker...but on ur head it feels so much softer..so when i touched it with my fingers it felt as if there is memory foam (or some other memory foam) stitched inside (u know..that nasa foam as used in matrasses as in my bed!)..it feels soooo soft... :wink:

the hole for the connectors is perfectly round made...as if it already was there... but 'point the resistance' stays the feel u get when u go over the cups with ur finger tips...its NOT SLICK..u feel the uneven wood under it..am not kidding! some might not like it and want a glossy (standard look)... but for me... :D

well i dont have my new amp yet... so i cant give u a sonic impression...but concerning esthetic looks and feel gives me a very happy feeling!!

i dont know why..but it was hard to take any decent pic from the phone..am guessing it must be because of the old style that doesnt have any modern glossy oil in it but old fashioned Bee-Wax, what gives it a sliky dark organic look and feel! didnt knew people still now how to use that do that! but Luis did it!! even my fashion addict wife (with a fashion designer background back in the days) loved the look! she never saw something like it she said in real life..
bad thing is that the flash closes in on the little sexy imperfections of the wood itself...so bare with me...i did my best..it certainly looks better in real life then on pics..thats for sure! and my new cable from Toxic cables looks so sexy with it with its real carbon connectors :wink:

so here are the pics...the model in the pics is my 11year old little princess...she loved the headphones so much that she wanted to have pics with them to put on her facebook page...AND MY WIFE TOOK THE PICS WILLINGLY ...so this is a first...young and adult women both like same thing..thats almost a miracle!..lolz

hope u like the pics...they are made with a iphone 4s and a samsung S4...so no professional photo-sooped pics :wink:
when i have my amp i will put a review online about the phone and amp..and cable ofcourse.. :D

Sound man, sound...
And how much did this cost you?

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #155 of 344
Thanks!
Ask Luis..he makes the prices..mine costed more because of the extra special attention he gave it....as i wanted something unique....

But for prices..Luis (LFF) is one PM away :D

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #156 of 344
update after 2,5 weeks ownership using it daily for at least 4 hours..F..UCK...its heavy!!! u have to have bodybuilding neck muscles (or customed to winds of orcano like speeds!) to cope with this weight on ur head if u want to use it upright for more then 5 hours straight! especially ur back-neck muscles! this is no heaphone for older people who will use it upright on a office chair..and my very heavy headphone cable wont make things better in this matter also
.but am guessing if u use a comfy chair on which ur head can rest it will be perfect! it just barely can cope with this weight..but its okay..am customed to some Gforces in the past..
wink_face.gif

because of the organic and very natural touch of the cups i tend to be very careful not grabbing it on the wood but the metal hinches...my sweat/moisture even eats through leather straps on my watch (doc said my acid level is very high in my sweat/mosture so its very agressive to leather and wood and the like)..i have to replace it every 2 years! so i dont want my poisoness (but scentless) sweat destroy my beautiful organic looks of my black cups...but its something i always worry about since a while i dont wear my watch when i am at home..just to spare the leather strap as those are very expensive..lolz)..call me paranoia..but am just very carefull with my stuff.
the cups are starting to feel better now on my ears...somehow after a few hours they would hurt my ears...so i kept on making the headband wider very carefully..and i think its now perfect...but it took 6 times of carefull bending the headband out to make it good...its clamping force was so hard that i sometimes got headaches because of it...but one thing is good..the phones dont move around on ur head as the with modulor pads... so thats a good thing...am also guessing the pads getting the right structure now around my head...feel good now...still not perfect..but i think it needs more time...the modulor pads had some 'use to' time needed also...so i am not worried...

well..soundwise....

first it was a bit to bright for my taste coming from a he500 with modulor pads...but now after almost 3weeks use...WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW...so clear, so clean, soundstage HUGE, female voices (Within Temptation and After Forever lady singers, Sarah Brightman and Rihanna!) are starting to sound better (less screamy) also...its already more natural then the he500 i had! but i am guessing it can do better...black is totally BLACK. its funny with 24/96/(or 192) vinyl rips..u can even sometimes hear the lp player needle skipping/jumping up a bit between tracks...even with this cheapish usb amp i am using!... bass lacks completely.but thats understandable with the amp i am using!..i do have midbass and that hits hard and well controlled...but as i said..this amp is like using a 1.1L 3 cilinder diesel car engine into a transatlantic cruiser.. but hearing how it sounds now with this little very courageous amp i am using... makes me wonder how it will sound with a strong good quality amp..as am really surprised how good it sounds!!!!! never thought it would!!!

well..closing up now....i am getting afraid that i will be so spoiled when i start listening to my new amp that i will going back to BC and Toxic Cables immediately to spend all my money thats left on other (even better) stuff..oops i already did that partly..i upgraded my PLC (that i will get with my amp) yesterday. 
redface.gif

Gilbert, Luis and Frank, I hate u guys for doing this to me!!!
deadhorse.gif

UPDATE 2 (2-2-1014): i cant help to post now again..but something weird happened with my coded-x... i have had him playing 24-7 the last two days (my wife hates me for it now..a little bit as at night she keeps on waking up when some hard metallic lady singer comes around screaming..hehehehe )...so it has at least 50 hours extra....just now i was listening to alicia keys..(i have some very high quality recordings from her)...but to my astonishment i found out that the double voicing on some of her tracks are not just left and right!! they are higher placed also while her piano is low on the right.....i cant remember i heard that on my he500 with my 337 like this.... tomorrow i will be listening again to same tracks to see if its my head messing with me as i just have this phone...it can be that first weeks kind of WOW feeling thats filtering only the good things in.. :p

and LUIS.... if u read this....if ur (audiophile) friend, who heared my phone when it was still with u and on the spot offered a lot more money to buy it then what i paid for it, heard it now....

well..lets say he wouldnt leave ur house without this phone..no matter the price u would ask for it!! as since i have him this phone keeps on improving... this is incredible guys...

u, the lucky ones waiting for ur code-x also..ur in for a treat..i can tell ya! but plssss plsss give it good cabling...as i have a feeling this phone have an excellent energy with this new cable i have!! especially as its balanced and dual mono...i have a very strong feeling this very special toxic cable is part of the reason in the way the code-x shows the wide clean window of sound.

i think i struck gold with these two components together..one of those rare finds u only a few times in ur life....just one more is missing for me... :D

Luis...i salute u if u read this!! but i have to admit...yes i knew it would be better then my also excellent he500...but never could imagine how much better...and thats with a 49USD worth USB HEADPHONE AMP FOR GODS SAKE...or the amp has to be better then i ever ever EVER imagined it could be and that it just needed a better headphone..thats also possible :wink:

PS...guys...what happened to u all..ur very quiet lately... :D

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #157 of 344
Just patiently awaiting our turn :p. Ok impatiently lol, I keep buying things to fill the void haha... Although I apparantly don't know how to fill it well because I just bought a used UM Miracle and sent it in for reshelling... a couple months wait there .... :p 

Very jealous and very anxious to hear them :) Also, I have faith in the Cable that Luis is making for them :D. Balanced and I have my amps ready for them :D

Whenever you see this Luis would ya mind giving us an update with the ETA? 

Cheers, glad you are loving them!  

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #158 of 344
I am really digging the look of the modded He-500's. I always thought the audeze can's and the HifiMan can's always looked alike and with the new wood cans they look identical. 

Feb 9, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #159 of 344
I am really digging the look of the modded He-500's. I always thought the audeze can's and the HifiMan can's always looked alike and with the new wood cans they look identical. 

Code-x'ses are modded HE-5's not he500's :wink:

Drsparis. Yes they exceed all my expectations so far..i only had my doubts about the pads as they hurt my ears in beginning..but now thats gone after bending the headband wider and i am guessing some burn-in time of the pads itself, forming around my head. :wink:

Feb 9, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #162 of 344
Maybe you are talking about the new wooden hifiman's?

If he means the he560. Of which i dont know yet if they are actually real woodies or plastic cups with wood appearance.. Like their pleather pads..they look leather but are not.. And somehow seeing how they are priced i think they are not real woodies as making wood cups is expensive..thats why the lcd's 2/3 are above 1000usd..because of the real leather pads and the real wooden cups..it would be cheaper to produce pleather pads and plastic cups...maybe even 500usd more cheaper in sales price. :wink:

Nevertheless..if he does mean those phones he is on wrong thread..this thread is all about code-x... And in so the he5! :D

Feb 9, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #164 of 344
I know the Code-X's are HE-5's, I'm saying maybe general is talking about the new hifiman's coming out.

Yep maybe... :wink: But still i have to hear hifiman will use real wood on the cups of the 560i

Feb 9, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #165 of 344
Hifiman uses teak for the 560. The pads are most likely pleathers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back