Referencesounds/LFF's modded HE-5 >Code-X< thread
Mar 2, 2024 at 7:54 PM Post #331 of 344
Never seen or heard one but a fan of the HE-6 (all) and the HE-500 - and people whose hearing I respect have reacted with more excitement over the various LFF's than anything else they have heard. Certainly interesting.
Hardest part is finding one. There are several variants out in the wild. And I still think there are less than 20 total between them.

Code X and X2 - HE-5 Woody Original
Code X3 - HE-5se
Code LEX - HE-5le
Code SEX - HE-6 (Even LFF wasn't thrilled wit this one)

Any of the Code X variants will sound amazing and will be better than almost anything out there.. Especially if you have a strong amp, and the Code X needs an ohno cast copper cable to bring out its best, in my opinion. That headphone loves current, and that cable will push a ton of current into the drivers. It isn't super hard to drive, but the more current you give it, the better it sounds.

Keep in mind that these are 15 yr old drivers so the level of detail and resolution from the modern Planars is simply better. But, there is nothing that sounds like a Code X.

I've owned 2. My first was an X3. I loved it. I sold it because I wanted someone else the opportunity to enjoy it. I immediately regretted it and it took me about 9 months to find another. I have the X2 Woody, I believe. His 2nd tuning of that driver. The reality is that LLFF has been out of the game for 5 yrs now and took the mod with him. When they are gone, they are gone.

Mar 2, 2024 at 9:14 PM Post #332 of 344
Hardest part is finding one. There are several variants out in the wild. And I still think there are less than 20 total between them.

Code X and X2 - HE-5 Woody Original
Code X3 - HE-5se
Code LEX - HE-5le
Code SEX - HE-6 (Even LFF wasn't thrilled wit this one)

Any of the Code X variants will sound amazing and will be better than almost anything out there.. Especially if you have a strong amp, and the Code X needs an ohno cast copper cable to bring out its best, in my opinion. That headphone loves current, and that cable will push a ton of current into the drivers. It isn't super hard to drive, but the more current you give it, the better it sounds.

Keep in mind that these are 15 yr old drivers so the level of detail and resolution from the modern Planars is simply better. But, there is nothing that sounds like a Code X.

I've owned 2. My first was an X3. I loved it. I sold it because I wanted someone else the opportunity to enjoy it. I immediately regretted it and it took me about 9 months to find another. I have the X2 Woody, I believe. His 2nd tuning of that driver. The reality is that LLFF has been out of the game for 5 yrs now and took the mod with him. When they are gone, they are gone
From my own modding I dismiss most of the rumors of what the mod might be - does yours have non stock fabric covering the driver from one or both sides?

The HE-5SE? Do you know it stock? If so can you characterize the differences?

Mar 2, 2024 at 11:24 PM Post #333 of 344
From my own modding I dismiss most of the rumors of what the mod might be - does yours have non stock fabric covering the driver from one or both sides?

I've had the HE-5se version and now an original woody. They are so similar, and it has been 2 yrs since I had the X3, I couldn't give an accurate depiction other than to say I loved them both. The X3 was more comfortable, the X2 perhaps has a bit more "there there". But they are so similar, I don't know.

I have no idea of what the mod might be or is. I am not a modder. I can barely change a lightbulb. All I know is that the sweetness factor of this headphone is off the charts. My other two planars are exponentially more technical headphones with a deeper look into the mix and pocket. But, neither make me feel the way the Code X does.

Mar 5, 2024 at 10:05 PM Post #334 of 344
Hello. Just joined this small club. LEX should arrive on Thursday. I'm excited to say the least. I'm going to see how she performs on the Mass-Kobo.
Shipping issues delayed arrival until today. Listened to the LEX off and on for several hours, and WOW, just WOW. It is rare that you hear something truly sublime and the LEX would be the second occurrence (the Aperio was the first). I think the LEX bests every other headphone except the Aperio in overall FR balance. Similarly, tone/timbre and mid sweetness smokes every ZMF I’ve heard and I've always thought very highly of the timbral qualities of ZMFs. The LEX is not as excursive / punchy as the HE6se v2, for example, but, for me, unlike many Hifimans, it was not fatiguing in contrast to the v2 or Sus. I will not claim it is as detailed or as precise in layering and imaging as newer TOTL planars like the Final D8K Pro, Sol P, etc, but the tuning (not too bright, not too dark) is just perfect.

Mar 5, 2024 at 10:37 PM Post #335 of 344
Shipping issues delayed arrival until today. Listened to the LEX off and on for several hours, and WOW, just WOW. It is rare that you hear something truly sublime and the LEX would be the second occurrence (the Aperio was the first). I think the LEX bests every other headphone except the Aperio in overall FR balance. Similarly, tone/timbre and mid sweetness smokes every ZMF I’ve heard and I've always thought very highly of the timbral qualities of ZMFs. The LEX is not as excursive / punchy as the HE6se v2, for example, but, for me, unlike many Hifimans, it was not fatiguing in contrast to the v2 or Sus. I will not claim it is as detailed or as precise in layering and imaging as newer TOTL planars like the Final D8K Pro, Sol P, etc, but the tuning (not too bright, not too dark) is just perfect.
Enjoy. I've said for a while now the Code-X and X2 have the best timbre rivaling something like Valkyria.

LEX to a less degree of emphasis and Code-X6 which just didn't work. Still much better than most and only in the shadow of very few.

You can also peek to the beginning through Enigma and Paradox. And last but certainly not the least his absolutely wonderful remasters.

LFF had it.

Mar 5, 2024 at 10:41 PM Post #336 of 344
Mar 5, 2024 at 10:46 PM Post #337 of 344
Then like Keyser Söze, "And just like that, he was gone."
If you have a cold in the greater LA area, you can still book an appointment to see him.

Mar 5, 2024 at 11:02 PM Post #338 of 344
My X2 remains my favorite alltime headphone. There isn't a single headphone I would take in its place

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 1:53 AM Post #339 of 344

Luis never modded the HE-5se. It came out long after he was on the scene. There is the original wood HE-5, the HE-5 reissue, and HE-5se. The HE-5se sounds closer to the HE-5, but it doesn't capture the same detail and dynamics of the original. It's kind of like comparing the HE-6se to the HE-6.

Mar 6, 2024 at 6:50 AM Post #340 of 344
Luis never modded the HE-5se. It came out long after he was on the scene. There is the original wood HE-5, the HE-5 reissue, and HE-5se. The HE-5se sounds closer to the HE-5, but it doesn't capture the same detail and dynamics of the original. It's kind of like comparing the HE-6se to the HE-6.
Are you sure about that? I owned a Code X3, and was sent the mod bill as part of the trade and Luis modded that headphone. A He-5SE. And it sounded incredible. Prefer my HE-5 woody X2, but missed my X3 like someone had taken away my heart when I sold it. Fortunately, the guy who got it appreciates the headphone as much as the rest of us.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #341 of 344
Yea, this is false. Luis modded through 2019.

Mar 6, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #342 of 344
Luis never modded the HE-5se. It came out long after he was on the scene.
I was confused to read that the other day.
There is the original wood HE-5, the HE-5 reissue, and HE-5se. The HE-5se sounds closer to the HE-5, but it doesn't capture the same detail and dynamics of the original. It's kind of like comparing the HE-6se to the HE-6.
I had the stock 5 SE for about six months - I didn't like it much.: lacking bass under 70 Hz and a roller coaster above about 1.5k, even XLR on the Rag 1, and mods didn't change its thin sound. Closest I got was the 5LE which had its own issues. I remember it as closer to the 5XX.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 7:00 PM Post #343 of 344
I was confused to read that the other day.

I had the stock 5 SE for about six months - I didn't like it much.: lacking bass under 70 Hz and a roller coaster above about 1.5k, even XLR on the Rag 1, and mods didn't change its thin sound. Closest I got was the 5LE which had its own issues. I remember it as closer to the 5XX.
LFF's mod of the 5SE into the Code X3 was spectacular. It was my go to headphone for about 15 months and then I sold it to a guy in Greece as I wanted to share the love. Took me 9 months to find an X2 woody. Won't be letting this one go...

Mar 6, 2024 at 7:25 PM Post #344 of 344
LFF's mod of the 5SE into the Code X3 was spectacular. It was my go to headphone for about 15 months and then I sold it to a guy in Greece as I wanted to share the love. Took me 9 months to find an X2 woody. Won't be letting this one go...
LFF must be/was an artist/wizard to get that headphone to sound that great. He needs an apprentice - I'm game... :relaxed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back