Referencesounds/LFF's modded HE-5 >Code-X< thread
Feb 12, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #316 of 344
Hebo LFF Code X reporting. F*cking phenomenal headphone. Bass is just as fast and deep as LCD3 Pre Fazor. Maybe a tad more subbass quantity than the Pre Fazor 3. Mids and Treble tonality are perfect. And I mean perfect even when compared HD800S, Aryas, Meze Elites, Stax SR007mk1, LCD2 and 3. Soundstage and imaging is average. Very engaging headphone.

I am using a Master 9 amp and Holo Spring 2 KTE.
Yeah Code X has perfect tonality. Enjoy!

Feb 13, 2023 at 12:03 AM Post #317 of 344
My first Code X was an X3, made from a HE5SE. It was wonderful. I sold it, regretted it and then took 9 months to find a replacement. Now I have an orginal HE5 woody with sheepskin angled pads and a 3m ultra ohno copper cast cable that is fantastic for allowing current through. I have it hooked to my CFA3 and my new DAC, the Cen.Grand DSDAC 1.0 Super Clock. It is the best my system has ever sounded and having the Code X home is such a treat. You are right soundstage and imaging doesn't stand up to the TOTL planars of today, the drivers are just not up to that task. That being said, this headphone has so much other benefits to its sound that it remains a collector's headphone. It is one of those headphones that once you hear it, you can't unhear the tonality. You can't unhear the balance of bass to midrange. And there is no better headphone for tonality and timbral coloration. I sold a Code X once, I will never make that mistake again. The sound is too good, and too unique. They just don't make headphones that sound like this any longer. I have an Atrium and a Solitaire P-SE for more resolution and staging, but nothing compares to the Code X's tonal qualities.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2023 at 1:33 AM Post #318 of 344
It is one of those headphones that once you hear it, you can't unhear the tonality

You pretty much nailed it there. And it's so interesting that because it sounds so natural, you forget about the technicalities.

The Master 9 that I am using with the Holo Spring 2 KTE is just a tad soft (with every other headphones as well) so I am looking at getting another amp. CFA3 is definitely on the cards or an EC Studio B or a WA33. My other current headphone is the LCD3 Pre fazor and I have a Verite Open incoming.

Feb 13, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #319 of 344
It is one of those headphones that once you hear it, you can't unhear the tonality

You pretty much nailed it there. And it's so interesting that because it sounds so natural, you forget about the technicalities.

The Master 9 that I am using with the Holo Spring 2 KTE is just a tad soft (with every other headphones as well) so I am looking at getting another amp. CFA3 is definitely on the cards or an EC Studio B or a WA33. My other current headphone is the LCD3 Pre fazor and I have a Verite Open incoming.
You need to hear a Valkyria for exact perfect tonality, otherwise between the Code-X and CA-1a, they're a master class.

Unfortunately they are becoming more rare each year.

Feb 13, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #320 of 344
You need to hear a Valkyria for exact perfect tonality, otherwise between the Code-X and CA-1a, they're a master class.

Unfortunately they are becoming more rare each year.
Unfortunately, only less than 1% of the hobby can afford a Valkyria. Doesn't mean it isn't amazing, just out of reach for most. Including me... Code X is what I get in this region...

Feb 13, 2023 at 7:43 PM Post #321 of 344
Pad rolling options - ZMF Ori lambskin perforated? Any good? I have the Alpha dogs pads on them right now.

Feb 13, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #322 of 344
Pad rolling options - ZMF Ori lambskin perforated? Any good? I have the Alpha dogs pads on them right now.
I am using Sheepskin Ori’s. They are awesome.

Feb 13, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #323 of 344
Which version do you have? x1 or x2 with the HE5 woody, or the X3 or KEX with the HE5SE or HE5LE?

Feb 13, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #324 of 344
Some of the earlier posts claim the stock HE-5 SE early versions were part of the "Code" headphones. I had a pair of 5 SE's from pretty early on and they were - sorry - crap. No low bass, no harmonic richness, big rise 4-6.5k, dead over 12k, biggest 1.8k dip of all HFM's I've heard.

"Code" is only from the hands of Louis, is that not correct? No HFM stock can can be called "Code", right?

Wish I knew someone that had a set.

On the HE-500, 6 screw, and HE-6 SE I like the DCA Ether Angled over all 14 I've heard, but not heard them all,

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2023 at 10:42 PM Post #325 of 344
Which version do you have? x1 or x2 with the HE5 woody, or the X3 or KEX with the HE5SE or HE5LE?
HE5 Woody. Not sure if it's X1 or X2. But Luis had painted this one in red (Hebo) colour as a one off.

I will order the ZMF Sheepskin Oris then. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20190525_104215.jpg
    IMG_20190525_104215.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 10:50 PM Post #326 of 344
Hello. Just joined this small club. LEX should arrive on Thursday. I'm excited to say the least. I'm going to see how she performs on the Mass-Kobo.

Feb 28, 2024 at 12:48 AM Post #327 of 344
Hello. Just joined this small club. LEX should arrive on Thursday. I'm excited to say the least. I'm going to see how she performs on the Mass-Kobo.
Welcome to the wonderful world of the Code X. I bet there are less than 20 left. I am guessing, but there can't be many still in use and existence. One hasn't been made since 2019 or so.

I hope you love it as much as the rest of us do. It is one of those unobtanium headphones that everyone should get to hear.

Mar 2, 2024 at 6:10 PM Post #328 of 344
Waiting to hear about one that dies and someone does a detailed postmortem on it. Guesses include fabric, cryo, magnets, glue, something applied to the mylar, anti resonant material....

I'm all for protecting valuable processes - but 5 years and counting...

Mar 2, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #329 of 344
Waiting to hear about one that dies and someone does a detailed postmortem on it. Guesses include fabric, cryo, magnets, glue, something applied to the mylar, anti resonant material....

I'm all for protecting valuable processes - but 5 years and counting...
Mine was missed in 2018 and then sat in a headphone stand for almost 5 yrs unused. It is an original HE-5 Woody with his second tuning. It sounds amazing.

I have always known that the headphone has a lifespan and when it goes it goes. But, I will never sell it. Even when I detect it might only have a year or so left as that would be cruel. Bottom line is that it is and always will be my favorite headphone. You just can’t beat its tone and timbre. It is so sweet sounding.

Mar 2, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #330 of 344
Mine was missed in 2018 and then sat in a headphone stand for almost 5 yrs unused. It is an original HE-5 Woody with his second tuning. It sounds amazing.

I have always known that the headphone has a lifespan and when it goes it goes. But, I will never sell it. Even when I detect it might only have a year or so left as that would be cruel. Bottom line is that it is and always will be my favorite headphone. You just can’t beat its tone and timbre. It is so sweet sounding.
Never seen or heard one but a fan of the HE-6 (all) and the HE-500 - and people whose hearing I respect have reacted with more excitement over the various LFF's than anything else they have heard. Certainly interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back