Redwine iMod vs Amp question
Apr 17, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #91 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by RCM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't know about the package, but I just got the wrap-around iMod cable from Ken, he sent both the three-wire and six flat, both of which have both silver and Jena wires.

The three wire sounds good, haven't tried the six flat yet...RC

Wait.. so you bought two? Compare soon ^^

Apr 17, 2007 at 4:50 AM Post #92 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by dealmaster00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, this sounds really impressive. Unfortunately I'm not at the level where I would need this kind of setup. It's really interesting to read though
biggrin.gif

It's not about what level you are at, it's about enjoying music and getting the best out of our DAPs.

Some of us doomed Audiophiles have cursed ears that keeps clawing at our wallet
blink.gif
tongue.gif
icon10.gif

May 26, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #94 of 107
I'd like to ask to you guys what cable should I get for the iMod. Is a Cardas 1 foot cable enough? And is the Earcandy mini-mini any better?
Thank you all!

May 30, 2007 at 10:57 AM Post #95 of 107
I use ALO Jumbo Cyro and have no regret at all.

May 30, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #96 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pre iTunes, I used EAC. But since I went to iTunes, I use iTunes to rip my CDs. As long as you use its error correction, it rips very well.

EAC's default is error correction on, yes.

I wrote a guide a few years ago on how to rip from eac straight to tagged ALAC; knowing this method there's really no reason to rip with itunes (why go lossless without using the best ripper..)

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...43#post1007243

Jun 9, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #97 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by .N. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does iMod'ed iPod compare to Cowon X5 or D2, quality-wise? Lossless, of course. Has anybody tried?

not yet - have a friend who swears by his cowon. my imod arrives today. will compare sometime soon...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 10, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #98 of 107
- I'll quickly add this: after unpacking my used iMod it this afternoon (which came charged and clean and empty, thank you head-fi!) I quickly dragged a first testing playlist over: different voices (amos lee, a bach mass, strauss), as well as some mahler, coltrane, bromberg, massive attack. quick A/B tests on a tomahawk with a silver dragon IC and two pairs of UE super.fi pro5 showed quite radically different soundstages and amounts of detail. I liked it even better with my etymotic er4p in my ears - they're perhaps a bit less comfortable, but they seem to be fuller in the middle. then we settled in to listening through the stereo speakers via a kimber gq mini to RCA. the iMod beat both my iPods handily on all clips...

Jun 20, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #99 of 107
Ok, just want to clarify.

I just spent 130 bucks on headphones. I really don't want to have to buy an amp (This setup needs to be portable, and getting an amp seems non portable. I bought an iPod so I can just put it in my pocket and go). But if you think I would be happy buying an amp, or if you think it is still portable, let me know.

I'm just wondering if this mod is really worth it in my case. I'm kind of new at this, but I just got some awesome IEM's, and it would be a shame to just waste them on a stupid source. If these iMods really best every single portable player on the market, I would really have to evaluate. But whatever I choose, for the record I hate that I am going to have to carry some bulky amp to get the best out of my pod.

Jun 29, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #100 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by .N. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does iMod'ed iPod compare to Cowon X5 or D2, quality-wise? Lossless, of course. Has anybody tried?

I've got the X5L as well. No match with the Imod. Not even close. Both SQ and $$
lambda.gif

Jun 30, 2007 at 9:44 AM Post #101 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wotan1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got the X5L as well. No match with the Imod. Not even close. Both SQ and $$
lambda.gif

Will you be at the Ducth meet, too? Lotsa people interested in the iMod, and I'm the only one that has one and will be attending.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=242810

Jun 30, 2007 at 10:25 AM Post #102 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by blazin_it_alwyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, just want to clarify.

I just spent 130 bucks on headphones. I really don't want to have to buy an amp (This setup needs to be portable, and getting an amp seems non portable. I bought an iPod so I can just put it in my pocket and go). But if you think I would be happy buying an amp, or if you think it is still portable, let me know.

I'm just wondering if this mod is really worth it in my case. I'm kind of new at this, but I just got some awesome IEM's, and it would be a shame to just waste them on a stupid source. If these iMods really best every single portable player on the market, I would really have to evaluate. But whatever I choose, for the record I hate that I am going to have to carry some bulky amp to get the best out of my pod.

The 4th Gen iMod wouldn't work without an amp (as in, the headphone out becomes a line-out).

As for the 5th Gen iMod, the headphone out remains as it was before the mod, making the mod rather useless if no amp is used.

The Xin SuperMicro is rather small/portable though.
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 30, 2007 at 10:32 AM Post #103 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by procreate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will you be at the Ducth meet, too? Lotsa people interested in the iMod, and I'm the only one that has one and will be attending.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=242810

I did send you a PM.

Mar 12, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #104 of 107
im curious about imodding a touch? any news?

Mar 13, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #105 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im curious about imodding a touch? any news?

This has been discussed in several threads... you can check ALO section. Basically Vinnie & Ken do not feel that the iPods after 5.5G are worth modding for various reasons, the most significant of which is that Apple switched DACs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back