Recommended IEMs? ($100-200)
Dec 13, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #32 of 46
I don't know how you can call the RE262 disappointing, that's one of my favorite IEM's I've had and I'n not the only one.  Not that I don't trust your word but I just don't see the CKM33 sounding better, are the CKM33's mid-centric, do they have as spacious of a soundstage and is the imaging and separation as good as the RE262?

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #33 of 46
Well, I guess I'm disappointed in the RE262 because I prefer the RE272, and because the ATH-CKM33 only costs $40, so in that sense it doesn't seem to have much value in sound (versus RE272) or in price (versus CKM33).

Yes, the CKM33 is mid-centric and more epic sounding.  Imaging and seperation?, I haven't paid much attention to that since the FXD80 and TWFK IEM's are far ahead of all Hifimans and dynamic-driver Audio Technicas there.

It's only my second day of using the CKM so there is some new toy effect but it has an amazing sense of presence which makes other IEM's sound empty. =)

Oh, and it sounds great from a Clip+ but much greater from a $1000+ Audio Technica amplifier. =)  (something the MH1C doesn't...)

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #34 of 46
Well your doing a good job of convincing me to get a pair. 
biggrin.gif
  The fact they're only $40 its worth it to try them and see if I'll like signature and the fact you say they sound more epic than the RE262 is quite intriguing to me.

Dec 14, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #35 of 46
Since your budget goes higher,
For $100, you can get a GH-ERC-DMS from Japan.. which is superlatively detailed, flat and my favourite IEM.. I think fidelity wise, it holds much more value than the MH1C... (which is slight unnatural sounding to me.. and bass might be fatiguing)

extremely transparent of source, amazing clarity .. I would put it in the same league with an RE-272 that I bought & returned ...I think Kiteki might agree to this, atleast partially since he too got a pair .. 

talking about $120, theres also the Rockit R-50 thats also some FOTM IEM ... and in this case I think the hype is worth it. Joker holds high praises for it, so does Clieos ; my opinion of the R-50s is just speculative and I would still urge you to try the GH-ERC-DMS which is TWFK BA system as well. 

Dec 14, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #36 of 46
The DMS is amazing, I'm just waiting until I can compare it to one of it's cousins so I know I'm not hearing things.

Since head-fi is American-centric, there's many IEM's no one knows about, i.e. the ones you can't buy in America.  The JVC FXD80 became kinda popular, but only since it's on ebay, otherwise it'd be another complete unknown around here.

Dec 14, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #37 of 46
Quote:
The DMS is amazing, I'm just waiting until I can compare it to one of it's cousins so I know I'm not hearing things.

Since head-fi is American-centric, there's many IEM's no one knows about, i.e. the ones you can't buy in America.  The JVC FXD80 became kinda popular, but only since it's on ebay, otherwise it'd be another complete unknown around here.

Yeah Japan has ones we don't get over here but luckily Amazon sometime has third party vendors that sale them like the CKS33.  I've also used Accessory Jack for a couple that I can't get in the US.

Quote:
Since your budget goes higher,
For $100, you can get a GH-ERC-DMS from Japan.. which is superlatively detailed, flat and my favourite IEM.. I think fidelity wise, it holds much more value than the MH1C... (which is slight unnatural sounding to me.. and bass might be fatiguing)

extremely transparent of source, amazing clarity .. I would put it in the same league with an RE-272 that I bought & returned ...I think Kiteki might agree to this, atleast partially since he too got a pair .. 

talking about $120, theres also the Rockit R-50 thats also some FOTM IEM ... and in this case I think the hype is worth it. Joker holds high praises for it, so does Clieos ; my opinion of the R-50s is just speculative and I would still urge you to try the GH-ERC-DMS which is TWFK BA system as well. 

The R-50 is a good analytical IEM with a touch or warmth it was my favorite IEM for awhile and is still in my top 5 but the OP wants something that's warmer like the BA200 which I really think would be one of the best choices in the price range he's listed.  The BA200 compares very well next to the SM3 which is a $300 to $400 IEM and both have the same kind of sound signature being warm and mid-centric though the SM3 has more forward mids compared to the BA200.

Dec 14, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #38 of 46
Nooo.. Why you no love it?? Haha.. To me RE262 is absolutely superb and unique IEM
etysmile.gif

But I definitely will not recommend it to our friend because I am sure he/she will feel disappointed due to lack of bass coming from mainstream sound. That I can be very sure of!

Going along the same lines, I do not think IEMs with mid centric/forward signature is preferable. If CKM33 is that, then I think he/she will enjoy v-shape much more because he mentioned bass boosting his music for fun

Although I have not heard them, I think JVC HA-FXD80 or Ultimate Ears TripleFi10 are the better recommendation I'd say? Whichever that 'resolves faster' and 'quicker' since he likes to listen metal, although i am not sure he/she would be able to tell the 'technical' difference on that part.

But if he/she looking for a mic as a bonus with his HTC, then I'll personally recommend MH1C as well. The price and value is excellent

Dec 14, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #39 of 46
The CKM33 is mid-centric or r-shaped with forward sound 'presence' and tight bass.  I haven't tried any of the other Audio Technicas (CKM55, CKM77) bcoz they say they have loose bass, which I hate... (like Denon D5000, lol).  I love the CKW1000, but that's a different story.

You are right, this kid will prefer V-shaped sound, so I vote for the JVC FXD80, also because it's all made of stainless steel, and will last as long as a kitchen knife.

Dec 14, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #41 of 46
Quote:
Techno Kid, I just realised you were talking about the TDK BA200, that IEM looks sexy, can you tell me more about it?

Its a very nice IEM, it has a warm some what mid forward signature along with a nice spacious soundstage and some of the best imaging and separation I've heard from an IEM.  At its current price of $150 its an absolute steal and they compare very well next to my SM3 which is hard to do.  They also isolate vocals very very well and they're super smooth, they're just a really good IEM over all.

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #43 of 46
My experience with the MH1C and the FXD-80's have both been very positive. I had an extra pair of the MH1C's, gave it to a friend who needed HP's that would work with his Android phone, not particularly an audiophile, and he loves them. Tried them with the Sansa Fuze, he was in heaven. The FXD's are also really fun to listen to, amazing for the price IMO. (Haven't heard the AT's, my curiosity is piqued)

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #44 of 46
Another one I like a lot, that doesn't seem to get much love, is the MEElectronics A161, which sell for less than $100 and are very fine sounding IEM IMO

Dec 15, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #45 of 46
Ah ye, I see it's $139 from Beachcamera now, maybe the thread starter should get that one.

I think this might be some of the best bang for the buck! .. it started at $250 less than a year ago.. and now its $139!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back