Recommended around-ear headphones for Music/Gaming?
Jul 7, 2012 at 7:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Unlucky

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone! 
smile.gif

As stated above I'm looking for a good pair of headphones for gaming/music. I've been looking at the AudioTechnica ATH-AD700 but I've been getting mixed messages. Everyone says they are amazing for location perception in games (perfect for FPS) But some say they're uncomfortable, or have weak bass... But for now they're my number one choice. 

I listen to all types of music, from Dubstep to Anthemic and Club to Classical. So a good, all around pair of cans is optimum. 

As for the games I play... Same story, all types. RPG, FPS, RTS.... I play 'em all! 
biggrin.gif

I would be running these off the integrated audio off my Asus Notebook. I'm planning on getting a USB sound card (Asus Xonar U3 maybe?) soon and if the headphones are cheap enough ($120 and under) I could buy them together.

My total budget is $150 MAX. $120 being the sweet spot.

Can anyone help me? 
blink.gif

Jul 7, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:
Hey everyone! 
smile.gif

As stated above I'm looking for a good pair of headphones for gaming/music. I've been looking at the AudioTechnica ATH-AD700 but I've been getting mixed messages. Everyone says they are amazing for location perception in games (perfect for FPS) But some say they're uncomfortable, or have weak bass... But for now they're my number one choice. 

I listen to all types of music, from Dubstep to Anthemic and Club to Classical. So a good, all around pair of cans is optimum. 

As for the games I play... Same story, all types. RPG, FPS, RTS.... I play 'em all! 
biggrin.gif

I would be running these off the integrated audio off my Asus Notebook. I'm planning on getting a USB sound card (Asus Xonar U3 maybe?) soon and if the headphones are cheap enough ($120 and under) I could buy them together.

My total budget is $150 MAX. $120 being the sweet spot.

Can anyone help me? 
blink.gif

To me the ATH-AD700s light bass is a turn off.

Asus Xonar U3 ($40)
Samson SR850 headphones ($50) with Velvet ear pads ($15).

Jul 7, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #3 of 12
I enjoy my V6, it's not to find them on sale. I got mine new for $60!

The MS-1 is a good all-rounder, but the comfort can be an issue to some. Really easy to drive as well.

Jul 7, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #6 of 12
Well, at a bit more ($240 total) the AKG Q701s. Finally got some game time in with these. You hear everything, and they sound incredible. I highly recommend you check them out.

Jul 7, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:
Well, at a bit more ($240 total) the AKG Q701s. Finally got some game time in with these. You hear everything, and they sound incredible. I highly recommend you check them out.

I was actually looking at these before you posted, and I'm planning on buying. 
biggrin.gif

One thing though. Would they be able to run well on the Asus Xonar U3 USB sound card and headphone amp?

Jul 8, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
biggrin.gif

One thing though. Would they be able to run well on the Asus Xonar U3 USB sound card and headphone amp?

Running mine on my ASUS soundcard. Perfect. Buy these headphones!

Jul 8, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
biggrin.gif

The Asus Xonar U3 is a very low cost USB-DAC-Amp and may not really drive the Q701 well enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back