Recommendations please Edit: bought HD25 and getting 1964-Q, I'm gonna be broke
Oct 25, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #79 of 85

Quote:
I didn't, but a lot of people recommend it. Ive been using these a lot, replaced my M50 as my non-amp can.

Oooh, now this has peaked my interest in the topic again. I currently use a M50 as my main can (until my LA7000 arrives) so since you know both rather well (M50 & HD25) how would you compare the two, what are their strengths/weaknesses comparatively?

Quote:

Actually I'm gonna be broke I think. I just bought a HD 25 which will arrive tomorrow and a 1964-Q which will be done in 3 weeks. Oh also i just bought an FiiO E10
Is there a curse or something at head-fi which makes people's wallet thinner? 
tongue.gif

Also don't judge me 
biggrin.gif

Ha ha, congratz on your purchase! I'm a big believer in buying one expensive thing once and using it til the bitter end over buying bits, then selling them, then buying new bits (though I do the value in it).
Let us know how you fare with the purchase, the 1964-Q sounds pretty interesting, might have to put an order in myself so would be good to hear from you how you're enjoying the custom fit, sound etc.

Oct 25, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #80 of 85
to me the hd25 is much more lively, produces more wow moments, and seems more "open" all of which are important to me. I think for most people in general the hd25 are better for rock type genres and the M50 is better for EDM and hip hop bass heavy music. But I honestly prefer the hd25 for almost everything cause I actually like lighter but tighter bass and a better high end with any genre. I do have some weird issues with them that not many people have complained about which are isolation and leakage; I find that my DT880 (which are semi-open) do a better job than the hd25 and the M50 are much better. Comfort is also better with M50 but that is just cause the hd25 rest on the ear but since i wear glasses i think the hd25 are better because they are so small i can wear them without them resting on top of the glasses which is great. With durability/build quality the hd25 is much smaller and lighter and feel like a toy but still i think it will be good durability wise and every part is very easily replaceable which is great. That being said its not a huge upgrade from the M50, to me its like a 1/1.5 point rise in a 1-10 scale and if you are paying retail ($200) you may just want to spend that money on something else (towards an amp for the la7000 maybe) . I would sell my M50 but Im a hoarder when it comes to headphones.
Quote:
Oooh, now this has peaked my interest in the topic again. I currently use a M50 as my main can (until my LA7000 arrives) so since you know both rather well (M50 & HD25) how would you compare the two, what are their strengths/weaknesses comparatively?

edit: just read your signature (sorry i missed it), I would actually upgrade my IEMs if I was you. Cause for home obviously the la7000 is king, for work you need comfort and the M50 is better than HD25, your amp I'm not sure about (not much experience with amps) but looks to be good, so IEMs look to be the best spot to dump a truckload of cash on
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 25, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #82 of 85

Quote:
to me the hd25 is much more lively, produces more wow moments, and seems more "open" all of which are important to me. I think for most people in general the hd25 are better for rock type genres and the M50 is better for EDM and hip hop bass heavy music. But I honestly prefer the hd25 for almost everything cause I actually like lighter but tighter bass and a better high end with any genre. I do have some weird issues with them that not many people have complained about which are isolation and leakage; I find that my DT880 (which are semi-open) do a better job than the hd25 and the M50 are much better. Comfort is also better with M50 but that is just cause the hd25 rest on the ear but since i wear glasses i think the hd25 are better because they are so small i can wear them without them resting on top of the glasses which is great. With durability/build quality the hd25 is much smaller and lighter and feel like a toy but still i think it will be good durability wise and every part is very easily replaceable which is great. That being said its not a huge upgrade from the M50, to me its like a 1/1.5 point rise in a 1-10 scale and if you are paying retail ($200) you may just want to spend that money on something else (towards an amp for the la7000 maybe) . I would sell my M50 but Im a hoarder when it comes to headphones.

edit: just read your signature (sorry i missed it), I would actually upgrade my IEMs if I was you. Cause for home obviously the la7000 is king, for work you need comfort and the M50 is better than HD25, your amp I'm not sure about (not much experience with amps) but looks to be good, so IEMs look to be the best spot to dump a truckload of cash on
very_evil_smiley.gif

Thanks a lot for all the detail! Helps me out quite a bit.

Yea, I think (at least for now) I've got the amp/dac section covered for my home setup, but like you said, IEMs are definitely worth looking into.
Since I will be using my M50s almost exclusively at work (once the LA7000 arrive) and you also mention isolation/leakage on the HD25s it does (like you say) sound like the M50 is actually better in a busy work environment where isolation is actually needed.

Thanks again!
Now I'm just waiting to hear how the custom IEM's sound, fit, comfort etc :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back