Recommendations please Edit: bought HD25 and getting 1964-Q, I'm gonna be broke
Oct 15, 2011 at 6:59 AM Post #61 of 85
SM3 has pretty thick midrange, in fact for classical music I love my FX-700 (which was sold not long ago) for its timbre, but I wouldn't really recommend it as it has poor isolation. The revised version of SM3 might be better, though I am not sure as I have not heard it.

Problem with multiple balanced armature drivers is, even though they have excellent instrument separation, because of the passive crossover, there are phase differences that I could hear. In other words, compared to dynamic drivers, even though balanced armature earphones have better resolution, to my ears they lack the coherence.

Shure olives are typically black in color, and slightly firmer than the Comply's foam tips, so I'd expect them to last longer.

If you are stretching your budget to $400 plus, why not save up another $100 and get a custom in ear monitor? 
biggrin.gif
 The 1964ears comes to mind...http://1964ears.com/products.html

Classical music usually requires the earphones to be capable in a wide frequency range, more so than normal songs. An earphone with excellent imaging would do well too.

Oct 15, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #62 of 85

Quote:
SM3 has pretty thick midrange, in fact for classical music I love my FX-700 (which was sold not long ago) for its timbre, but I wouldn't really recommend it as it has poor isolation. The revised version of SM3 might be better, though I am not sure as I have not heard it.

Problem with multiple balanced armature drivers is, even though they have excellent instrument separation, because of the passive crossover, there are phase differences that I could hear. In other words, compared to dynamic drivers, even though balanced armature earphones have better resolution, to my ears they lack the coherence.

Shure olives are typically black in color, and slightly firmer than the Comply's foam tips, so I'd expect them to last longer.

If you are stretching your budget to $400 plus, why not save up another $100 and get a custom in ear monitor? 
biggrin.gif

Classical music usually requires the earphones to be capable in a wide frequency range, more so than normal songs. An earphone with excellent imaging would do well too.

Yeah. $400 for the 1964-T is awesome. And you may reshell it to get the appearance you want.

Oct 15, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #63 of 85
Yes, I have tried the Complys. They are not as good as the Shure Olives. They cut on treble and overall clarity. The Olives last longer (much longer) and give better sound. They are not fragile. Way to go my friend ; )

Concerning somewhat "thick midrange", thats why I prefer the UM3X RC, but for jazz I prefer the SM3 for its superb treble and realism/timber. So I guess that for instrumental and classical they will be more adequated too.

Oct 15, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #64 of 85

Quote:

biggrin.gif

Quote:

Yeah. $400 for the 1964-T is awesome. And you may reshell it to get the appearance you want.

The 1964ears seems interesting, but $400 that's just the IEM right? Don't I have to go to an audiologist, pay shipping etc? Do you think the hassle is worth it? If it is I might buy it because I'm buying one of these IEMs for life (not selling it again).
Thanks for the suggestion

Oct 15, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #65 of 85

Quote:
Yes, I have tried the Complys. They are not as good as the Shure Olives. They cut on treble and overall clarity. The Olives last longer (much longer) and give better sound. They are not fragile. Way to go my friend ; )

Concerning somewhat "thick midrange", thats why I prefer the UM3X RC, but for jazz I prefer the SM3 for its superb treble and realism/timber. So I guess that for instrumental and classical they will be more adequated too.

Thinking about it, do you know anything about custom IEMs? Is something like an 1964-T offer better sound?

Oct 15, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #66 of 85
If I was going to buy a custom IEM, I wouldn't buy anything lower than the Unique Melody Miracle. But these are expensive. |Joker| gave them a 10.

Oct 15, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #68 of 85
There is no point spending so much on one shot. It's quite a big risk. For people without unlimited budget, young people, students, etc, go with something cheaper first. When you reach the point of diminishing return, you are paying a lot more for incremental improvements.

Oct 16, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #69 of 85

Quote:
There is no point spending so much on one shot. It's quite a big risk. For people without unlimited budget, young people, students, etc, go with something cheaper first. When you reach the point of diminishing return, you are paying a lot more for incremental improvements.

Yeah I know it's a big risk, that's why I'm still researching (and stalling
biggrin.gif
). I don't have unlimited budget but I'm just not used to buying things again and again, I'd rather buy one great thing and use it till it breaks. Thanks for the advice though, I'm thinking about the 1964-T you suggested but it seems $400 is just the IEM 
frown.gif
, shipping and fitting could make that IEM very above my budget, still more researching I guess.

Oct 17, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #71 of 85

Quote:
SM3 will make you happy 
wink.gif

I think that would be the perfect choice for my budget, but hmm the 1964-T, even though it's expensive, just seems so tempting.
Have you ever tried custom IEMs? Do you recommend such an IEM? Do you have any opinion on it?
I know it's above my budget but I'm probably willing to break the bank if it's a great IEM, also because if I get one I can get one with a custom logo
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the suggestion

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:26 AM Post #72 of 85
From what I read, they have the same sound quality, so I would go for the SM3. They also have less bass impact than the SM3's. As i said above, for me, custom IEMs just the Unique Melodys ; ) 

Oct 17, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #73 of 85

Quote:
From what I read, they have the same sound quality, so I would go for the SM3. They also have less bass impact than the SM3's. As i said above, for me, custom IEMs just the Unique Melodys ; ) 

Hmmm, well now I think I just have to think about what I want and need.

Thanks for all the recommendations guys

Oct 25, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #75 of 85

Quote:
Let us know when you get the SM3s
wink_face.gif

Actually I'm gonna be broke I think. I just bought a HD 25 which will arrive tomorrow and a 1964-Q which will be done in 3 weeks. Oh also i just bought an FiiO E10
Is there a curse or something at head-fi which makes people's wallet thinner? 
tongue.gif

Also don't judge me 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back