Recommendations for replacing Etymotic er-6i?
Jul 23, 2010 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

EMDash

New Head-Fier
Hello-

I have been looking around the past two days for a replacement for my er-6is. I have had them for several years, but find them quite fragile and lacking bass (as has been attested many, many times.) I do like their clarity, and due to the fact that I commute via train to NYC, their noise cancellation/reduction.

I've had to send them back several times for failing right channels, and I've had to replace them once before due to the long cord getting stuck on various things; last week the cord got stuck on an armrest exiting the train, killing the right 'phone.

I listen mostly to a mix of old and new rock - Dave Matthews Band, John Mayer, Silversun Pickups, U2, Minus the Bear, Genesis, Filter, as well as audio podcasts and Audible audio books.

I have narrowed my list to the Head-Direct RE0, Klipsch S4, Fischer Audio Eterna, Skull Candy Holua, and the Hippo VB. I prefer a strong, clear low end. I'd like to stay under the $100 price point.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Jul 23, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #2 of 8
I think the Head-Direct RE0 is your best bet. I thought it sounded excellent, and well worth it. However, you might find that it has too much bass. The problem is other headphones might not have the same clarity you seem to like. Try them out and see what you think of them.

If you can go over your budget, I would say go for the Radius DDM or Fischer Audio DBA-02.

Jul 23, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the quick reply! I should also mention I'm currently using Grado SR-60s at work. I love these cans.

At this point, I am leaning toward the RE0, but have heard different things about the bass- some say too much, some say not enough compared to, say, the S4s.

I saw good things about the DBA-02, but I find it hard to justify the step up. Is there a big difference in quality when you step up to the $100-150 range?

Jul 23, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #4 of 8
So how much more bass than the ER6i do you want? The RE0 does indeed have more bass while sharing many aspects of the ER6i in sound quality but doing it better. It doesn't have that much more however.

Isolation on the ER6i esp at $100 is pretty much unmatched by another competitor's earphone. Etymotic has extremely good isolation that you won't get if you move to another company's earphone. The MC5 may be considered since they are supposed to have more bass but should have their isolation but I haven't heard it.

RE0 had average isolation so will be quite the shock coming from the ER6i. Even with triple flanges it is slighty above average but won't come close to the ER6i so you will have to make sacrifices. Sound wise RE0 walks all over the ER6i.

Jul 23, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #5 of 8
I'd say substantially more bass, Rawrster

Disappointed to hear about noise reduction. I'm borrowing my fiancee's JLAB something or others; I like the added bass, but hate the way they feel in my ears, and the almost complete lack of isolation. Since you live in NYC, I'm sure you understand the need for isolation.

Frankly, I'm just sick of having to buy filters every few months for the ER-6is, even if I stock up. Sometimes they'll last months, sometimes days until they 'clog' and I get no sound from the respective ear. Between that and the perceived fragility I've had enough. Last year Etymotic sent me a new pair because I had two sets' right headphone fail within a few months, and I don't think I'm particularly hard on them.

Jul 23, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #6 of 8
Then take the RE0 off that list you have then. Substantially more bass isn't what the RE0 is. They are closer to neutrality than something that has a lot of bass. Lots of bass but still having good clarity is going to be difficult at under $100 probably but I haven't tried any of those new Brainwavz earphones or much in this price range.

S4 has more bass for sure but their isolation isn't that great if you don't buy yourself some better tips such as Shure black foam tips aka olives. Their isolation increases then but their sound isn't that great for $79. You get lots of bass but people have had issues with the treble being harsh and clarity isn't a strength of them.

Jul 23, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #7 of 8
Thank you. I suppose I am asking for quite a bit at this price point.

Based on your review, I don't think the DBA-02 will fit my bill; I certainly prefer a lot of bass over neutrality, I suppose it's the drummer in me. My friends are always amazed at the level of bass I keep on my various speakers.

I do like the "Grado Sound". I guess I'll continue to do some research and include some of the more expensive IEMS.

Jul 23, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #8 of 8
I recently bought the Thinksound Rain, cherry/silver version.  Comparing it to the details of the RE0, it is 90-95% there.  But you do have to plug a tiny port on the front of the phone (there's another on the back), and when you do, you gain a load of clear bass -- coming from the ER-6i, it will be very full sounding -- warmish and fun to listen to.  You can get it for $55 on Amazon.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back