Recommendations for Best headphones on the market (new and old)
Feb 6, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #991 of 1,076
Hello everyone, this is my first post here so don't shoot me if i make any mistakes, I'm not an "expert"
smily_headphones1.gif

I've been reading this board and other sites a lot but I still have some questions and I hope you can help me in finding good phones. I'm just starting to get into the higher end products. My actual ipod headphones are AKG K 26P, and they are great.

I am looking for a new pair not only to replace these ones but they also will be used daily at work. So they need to work on portable devices and pc (and at home) without an amp. Closed type, covering my ears completely

* I was first thinking of getting the Beyerdynamic 990 which seem to get very good feedback, but they absolutely need an amp and its an open type

* The AKG 701 seems to be great as well, very clear but no deep bass, which is ok to me. I've read they're not ideal for rock music? Is that so? cause i mainly listen to punk, metal, rock and Sinatra (I know I know) They take like 3 lightyears to break in, but its top quality. Will it perform good enough on pc/ipod without an amp? Price is about 300euros here

Also they seem to have been replaced by newer versions on the AKG site. What version is the "old" 701 nowadays?

* Audio Technica ATH M50 seem to be good as well although some say the sound is pretty flat. what is that about? Price is about 150€ And how would they perform on an ipod without an amp?

* Sennheiser HD600 just seem to be very good in all reviews, like the AKG but with strong bass . Again the amp question... Price is about 250€uros (but they're so ugly lol)

The more I read on here the more I get lost. There just are so many good phones and I don't know what to do anymore.

Can you help me out? What should I get of the 3 above? The amp thing is very important. Or do you recommend something complete else?

I hope someone takes the time to help me out.
Thank in advance!

Feb 15, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #992 of 1,076
I'm in the market to get some different phones. Currently I'm using a pair of Senn HD-595's.

I listen to quite a variety, from trance/house to metal to Emiliana Torrini.

I'd actually prefer to get something used, with a budget of 300-400 preferably. What would you guys recommend? I have a pair of studio monitors that are extremely neutral, so I'd like to shy away from phones with those characteristics.

Cheers.

Feb 26, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #993 of 1,076
@mattcalgary

I recommend ATH AD2000 - you might just grab them at 400 SH.

From my HD650, RS-1i and ATH-AD2000 fed by Lavry DA10 & Little Dot MKV, they are by far my favorites.
Read some reviews about them to get an idea.

I find this one to be revelatory and on par with my opinnions about AD2000.

Mar 8, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #994 of 1,076
Ok, I'm going to be in NY next week (from London) and I'm seriously considering a pair of SRH840s since I need good sound isolation and have a limited budget. I'll be using them with the S:Flo and a CMoy amp. I'm current using Senn IE7s which are very nice but want to upgrade to full size cans and I'll also want to use them with my home cinema (gaming) set-up. Can anyone give me a good reason why I shouldn't go ahead and grab a pair?

Oh, one other thing, I know the SRH840s come with a looooong coiled cable but is there a shorter straight alternative for those using them on-the-move?

Mar 9, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #995 of 1,076
I know that for gamers, positional audio is more important then the overall sound quality but does anyone recommend a pair of headphones that's a mix of both? I play games a lot and I listen to music, watch movies (probably more the latter) so I'm looking for an all in one that's comfortable since I have these on for hours at a time.

I remember I had the HD280s before they broke and they were SO DAMN comfortable that sometimes I'd put them on if the weather was cold just to keep my ears warm. I've done some initial research and I'm currently looking at Sennheiser HD280pro, HD595 and Audio-Technica ATH-A700/AD700..are there any other recommendations? Most people either want gaming or music headphones, I wanted to know if there are any that did both.

Cliff notes: need recommendation for headphones that are comfortable, good sound for movies/music and gaming although I care more about movies/music since I don't play games competitively. My budget is 100-200$.

Mar 13, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #996 of 1,076
Hi, I've been looking for a pair of good headphones for quite some time now but dont know which to get.
My buget limit is somewhere around 150 max and I want them to have a nice, clear sound and more importantly, produce enough bass, because I listen to bass heavy music only.

Any1 got some good recommendations for me? Thanks.

Mar 16, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #997 of 1,076
I've been looking for some good headphones for some time now.Got about 120$.
I want neutral+aggresive+detail.Guess it would be Allesandro MS-1 as I read across the forums.Anyways,considering that I have pre-build an amp(my first one
smily_headphones1.gif
) is there anything better for the price?

Mar 17, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #998 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by G.Trenchev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been looking for some good headphones for some time now.Got about 120$.
I want neutral+aggresive+detail.Guess it would be Allesandro MS-1 as I read across the forums.Anyways,considering that I have pre-build an amp(my first one
smily_headphones1.gif
) is there anything better for the price?

I think Ms-1 is sound good and don't need an amp anyway if you find a suitable for it please tell me for post mail cause I use this model too.

Hahaha
atsmile.gif

Mar 20, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #999 of 1,076
1) AKG 701 (worthless without an amp, but that's obvious)
2) Shure SRH-840
3) Beyer Dynamic DT-990
3) Grado SR-80
4) Shure SRH-240 (a steal for the price to me. I upgraded to the 840 and kept these!)

Of course my #1 favorite is really the UE Triple Fi 10's, but I don't think I can list that here.

My new favorite is the Shure 840. I'm tired of hauling around an amp and with that I don't need one, but it's a good idea.

Mar 20, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #1,001 of 1,076
I personally like the Ultrasone HFI 780 alot, because I listen to bass heavy electronical music only, if you listen to classical music on the other hand, the Ultrasone 750 Pro would be a better phone.

Mar 21, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #1,002 of 1,076
Could someone recommend a pair of phones?
I want them to be closed, with a lot of bass. I listen to everything, from Metal to hip hop to electronic. My price range is around $150, but I could go a little higher i I had to. I was looking at the Ultrasone HFI-780's but I read that they aren't that comfertable, which I need them to be. Thanks

Mar 22, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #1,005 of 1,076
I just ordered a ms1i from usa from my aunt, but the thing is my sis will be taking it, so it got me thinking if i should go for another ms1 or a denon d1001 or an hd 25-1??

I wanted to know what diff. i can expect in the sound b/w these three headphones?

i'll be driving it off a MBP and an ipod touch 32gb, if budget allows i'll also get a fiio e5,
my last headphones were a pair of sen px100 and bose on ear headphones...and i was satsfied with the sens...looking to go a notch higher this time..

i'm into floyd, steely dan, bob dylan, metallica, yngwie, michael angelo, dio, jefferson airplane, doors, who, hendrix, dream theatre...basically classic rock and metal..
and i'm no basshead..
comfort needed...coz i'll be wearing it WHILE I SLEEP/LAY down, isolation,leakage not specifically a need but would be a plus point...and durability very imp!!!

I'm tight on the budget so is the hd 25-1 really worth the xtra 65$ over the ms1??

Also where can i find good deals on the net(usa) for the denon and senn coz authrzd dealers sell on msrp and it shuld be reliable, and please quote the lowest prices plz..have a firewall in my college and cant open shopping sites..proxies dont work either..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back