Recommendations for Best headphones on the market (new and old)
Aug 12, 2003 at 11:01 PM Post #106 of 1,076
HP890s are the bomb.
Cheap, not hard to drive, pretty damn good soundstage, great lows, solid mids, decent highs (at times a tad harsh, but they quiet down with a nice amp).

Aug 13, 2003 at 5:33 PM Post #108 of 1,076
I've heard a lot about the SR-325 being an excellent set of cans, and have a different sound than the RS series that can actually sound better in areas. What do you guys think? I've heard the aluminum chambers have more detail, although not having the awrmness of the mahogany chambers found on the RS series. My vote for cheapy headphones goes to the KSC-35's or the portapros.

Aug 21, 2003 at 5:59 PM Post #109 of 1,076
The all-around closed headphone of choice:

AKG K271 Studio

Crisp, clear, neutral sound with realistic, tight, deep bass, and smooth very extended high end. Excellent isolation and comfort.

The K271 is the ultimate choice for LAN gaming (revealing of footsteps), studio mixing (balanced frequency response), and listening in noisy environments (comfortable, balanced, and very beautiful sound).

-Geek

Aug 31, 2003 at 4:32 PM Post #110 of 1,076
Entropic

you forgot the "Bollocks" bit...
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 5, 2003 at 4:54 AM Post #111 of 1,076
Hello,

I have not visited for a while... My contribution to this thread:

Grado SR-60

I bought many different headphones last year, including higher Grado models. I ended up selling ALL of them in ebay. I only kept the Grados SR-60. These sounded better than anything else to my ears, including the higher Grado models. Am I tone deaf? Maybe....

Now I would like to try the Etymotics ER-4S. I am curious to see if these are as good as people say they are... Plus I want something other than earplugs for when I cut the grass.

Have a nice day everyone!

George T.

Sep 10, 2003 at 1:39 AM Post #112 of 1,076
I must add the ath-100ti. but only for jazz(which I listen to mostly) I'm sure lou has before but has since jumped ship for the ath-1000

people's main complaint is the lack of bass, but for jazz it is great. You really hear the standup as what it was meant to sound like, not as buzz or hum like in more modern music. I am listening to medeski martin and wood right now and I can hear the wood creaking and strings twanging, even chris woods' obligatory scatting over the bass solo.

Otherwise the detail is intense, great to add a live quality to normally reserved jazz recordings

of course I have a pair of sr80's sitting nearby in case I want to rock out.

Sep 15, 2003 at 9:09 PM Post #113 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally posted by DoctorT
I bought many different headphones last year, including higher Grado models. I ended up selling ALL of them in ebay. I only kept the Grados SR-60. These sounded better than anything else to my ears, including the higher Grado models. Am I tone deaf? Maybe....

Or maybe not--are you running without an amp? Generally seems the "better" headphones really require an amp to reach their potential. Maybe the SR60s are the best phones out there (for you) without an amp...

Just a thought.

Sep 23, 2003 at 6:53 PM Post #114 of 1,076
I just bought the Sony MDR-CD3000's, and I would just like to say they are absolutley fantastis, the amount of transparency and detail is completely unrivaled by any other headphone I've ever heard (RS-1, Senn. 580, DT 880). This is w/o any doubt in my mind a purchase well worth every one of the $400 I spent.

Sep 25, 2003 at 6:32 PM Post #115 of 1,076
I'm very happy with my HD600s. I auditioned a few others before purchase and to me they were the best. They aren't any good for portable use, but the sound is great and they're quite comfortable.

Having said that, HD580s can sometimes be picked up for half the price of the HD600s and they're meant to sound almost as good.

Sep 25, 2003 at 9:55 PM Post #116 of 1,076
ESP/950's with the E/90 amplifier. I've seen a few people claiming they sound awful (blaming the amplifier- how they come to this conclusion I have no idea since you can't readily connect the phones to any other amp because of their proprietary or at least unique connector) but I have side by side compared them with Sennheiser HD-580s and Stax Lambda Signatures (the ones with the funny looking big boxes that cover your ears) and their matching vacuum tube amp and find the Koss phones to be quite good in comparison.

Ah well, there's no accounting for taste... including mine!

The most noticeable difference between the Stax phones and the Koss phones was a more forward placement of the sound image with the Stax phones which I attribute to the drivers in the Stax units being placed forward of the ears and aimed back across the head toward the ears.

MR

Oct 12, 2003 at 5:47 AM Post #118 of 1,076
Open - HD600's
Closed - Beyer 250-250's
Earbuds - Ety 4p's

Oct 22, 2003 at 3:41 PM Post #119 of 1,076
I like using the Sennh mx500 with Slic Sound. Bass response is great, if you like bass, but overall I find I don't have to turn up the volume to hear full range. If youhaven't tried Slic Sound on ear buds, you should.

Oct 23, 2003 at 10:16 PM Post #120 of 1,076
Beyerdynamic dt250 -250ohm version.

this high ohm version of the dt250 is not well suited for portable useage but shines in the studio. Infront of an amplifier of quality the dt250-250 produces a very flat response with little or no colour, with beter range response and clarity in the 250ohm version over the 80ohm version. It is a closed headphone which produces very good isolation and is sutible for long term use due to its very comfortable fit for people with mid sized ears (they tend to cramp larger ears). Finaly it is a bombproof design that hardly every breaks and when it does beyerdynamic is quite happy to fix it for either very cheep or for free if it is within a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back