Recommendations for Best headphones on the market (new and old)
Jul 14, 2006 at 12:43 PM Post #316 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fastnbulbous
Ah decisions. I was ready to go with the Sennheiser HD 650 (can get it for $274 USD), but I've heard enough complaints about it that I'm considering the AKG K701 ($318).

I'd only use cans for about 10% of my listening time, for reviewing music and late night listening. Plan up upgrading to an HK AVR 645, which is what would drive the headphones.

The HD 650 is sweet but you need a really powerfull dedicated amp in order to drive those puppies properly. As for the AKG you can't go wrong.

Jul 14, 2006 at 12:45 PM Post #317 of 1,076
I'm looking for my first set of good headphoes my first set was a guetto KOSS UR 20's. I wanna use the headphones mostly for movies, games and a small percentage for music, any recommendations? I would prob need an amp to go with that I hear headroom makes pretty nice ones. Brand wise I was looking at Senn, Audio Technica's and AKG.

Jul 14, 2006 at 4:56 PM Post #318 of 1,076
http://knightsofdraco.co.uk/sig.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
Hiya...

Inspired by a thread by Carlo, I'm going to try this as a trial, and see how things go... If you haven't already seen that thread, basically we're going to try and get an FAQ going ~ to which end, we need your opinions (good and bad ~ but no flame wars) for any popular headphones that are available for less than $500 (standard MSRP... Discounted products aren't really applicable)

The replies need to be as short, and concise as possible, because they're (hopefully ~ if this takes off) going to be used as quotes within a new sticky (locked) thread...

Lets see if this works
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2006 at 1:44 PM Post #319 of 1,076
AKG 1000 with Cary 805c monblocks. Frontend rega p9 TT with benz-micro cartridge and cary ph302 phono amp.No preamp...volume controlled via EVS passive attenuators.

Grado rs-1 for portable playback.I haven't heard the gs 1000...
cool.gif

etymotics 6i for listening while traveling.

Jul 31, 2006 at 3:28 PM Post #320 of 1,076
Hi guys, juz need some recommendation from you guys...

Im looking for a decent headphone...currently wat's in my mind are Audio Technica ATH-AD300, Audio Technica Pro5 V and Philips SHP-895.

Can you guys tell me which is better in terms of listening music? Im pairing it with my Creative Audigy 4 (not Pro edition). Im almost into every genre of musics...Oh well, my usage:

50% music, 30% movies and 20% for gaming.

Sorry for my bad english.
Thx in advance.

Jul 31, 2006 at 6:16 PM Post #321 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by jon89
Sorry for my bad english.
Thx in advance.

Your English is excellent, at least by American standards. Just a few spelling errors, but no worse than what many of us do.

AFAIK, the only people who speak English properly anymore are from India :wink:

Jul 31, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #322 of 1,076
My english is juz so-so only...lol...not that excellent enough...
tongue.gif

Even when im speaking in english, i'll be a bit "laggy" (cant speak fluently) as English isnt my mother tongue...

Ops...sry for being off topic...
3000smile.gif

Jul 31, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #323 of 1,076
I didn't see this thread and posted one myself and no one answered (now I know why :p). Well, to the subject at hand:
What is a good headphone + amp that will be mostly used for progressive rock, proggressive metal and jazz (and fusion jazz), tough also to other genres of music?
I know there are many diffrent sounds I could like, but what are some good options for this kind of music in a budget of up to 1500$?

Aug 15, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #324 of 1,076
All,

I have used the following headphones and all of them are exceptional but I enjoyed some more than others. I have placed them in reverse order of gratification:

Sennheiser HD580

These headsets was my primary headset for two years. They are excellent for their price range. They have good response but their impedence level is high so it requires an amp to drive it properly. Since these are not portable headsets that should not pose too much of a problem The highs and bass is a little mushy but nothing it is not too distracting. I would recommend them without reservation.

Etymotic ER-4S

These are simply the best off-the-shelf in-ear-monitor on the market. They produce the flattest response I have encountered from this catagory of headsets. My major complaints for these are:
  1. They are uncomfortable to wear. The earbuds causes back pressure that is, somethimes, hard to take
  2. They pick up all line noises. So much so that you tend to stay perfectly still when using them.

These do require the you upgrade your equipment becuase you will notice ANY distortion anywhere in your system. The isolation is so significant that they cannot be used when driving or walking because all more external sounds are eliminated.

Senheisser HD600

These are very much like the HD580 but it has much better fidelity. In fact, once I listened to these I could not go back to the 580s. These seem more fragile than the 580s. I somehow damaged the connection to my right speaker but I cannot see any damage to any component.

Beyerdynamic DT880

These are my current favorite full size reference headsets. They are, by far, the most comfortable sets I have. The quality is so good that it seems almost bright. The response is about as flat as you can get. I have no cons for these units. Absolutely love them!

Ultimate Ear UE-10

These are simply the best custom-fit in-ear-monitor I've every experienced. The fit is perfect. They are so comfortable that I can wear them unceasingly. The sound isolation is comparable to the Etymotics. The reponse is flat and no distortion. The line noise is less than the Etymotics but the problems seems to be the bane of in-ear-monitors. There is nothing to complain about for these little babies.

Aug 18, 2006 at 9:45 AM Post #325 of 1,076
I have to give another recommendation for the ER-4S. This is flat-out the best universal fit in-ear monitor money can buy. Some people have claimed that the sound is harsh, or tipped toward the treble region, but this is completely, utterly, false. They are by far the smoothest, most neutral, most accurate, most detailed, most musical IEM I have ever used. I would even say that they are lush. I have never been able to enjoy music quite like I have with these. The frequency response was always off somehow. Too much bass, or not enough treble, or dim, distant mids. But these, wow. They let me forget that I am wearing headphones and allow me to truly delve into the depths of whatever I am listening to. The sound they produce is so smooth and natural I don't even have the vocabulary to describe it. For the mids, think smooth, like freshly churned butter, and just as delicious. For the highs, think clear and sharp, like a polished diamond. For the bass, think deep like the mariana trench. The sheer naturalness of the sound is something to behold, and the detail, the ability to discriminate between sounds, the ability to hear each instrument exactly the way it sounds, the ability to hear even the smallest background sounds, is unsurpassed by anything else in this price range.

Truly a king among headphones. I'm ashamed I didn't buy them sooner.

Phew. Now, for the cons. The cables are very noisy. Noiser than any other IEM cables. You must use the shirt clip or find some other way to secure them or else the transmitted noise will be very disturbing. Potentially, they may be uncomfortable for some people, but I have yet to have any problems. With the foamies or Comply tips, I can wear them for hours on end with no discomfort. Undoubtedly, some people will find them uncomfortable.

Oct 6, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #330 of 1,076
Bose just introduced I set of headphones that I'm sure you will like. they really isolate your listening imvironment very well and there is a little switch on the side when deactivated will allow sounds outside of the headphones to filter through, my understanding of this is that these phones are battery powered. the cost for these very comfortable headphones is around $349.00, and trust me, this will be the best money you ever spent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back