Recommendations for Best headphones on the market (new and old)
Feb 23, 2006 at 1:28 PM Post #301 of 1,076
The residual echo from the thicker wires was just a fancey way of saying some people believe that thicker wire comprimised the signal. This is an extreme audiophile opinion, they would probably have you listen thru a single run of pure uncoated silver wire suspended from the floor in a lead walled room.
Lets be practical, the e4 will sound fantastic and it wont snap when you catch your headphones on something because its robust.

If you truely are of elven nature, graceful and delicate with your things, you may go for the Etymotic for its "uncomprimised sound" due to less residual echo from the thinner wire casing. Personally i'd go for the shures cos I dont really go in for all that suspended bear wire stuff

Feb 23, 2006 at 4:48 PM Post #302 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz
So it seems to me that the HD650's are the best you can get before you hit the 1,000+ mark?

Kevin, although this is a very subjective topic, I own both the HD-650 s and the Audio Technica ATH-W1000. I feel that the AT product delivers great value for the money (list approx $780, but Audio Cubes sells for $459), with a very high build quality and a more comfortable design then my Senns. Main difference in design is open (Senn) vs closed (AT). Each has merits, with AT being better for the types of music I listen to most (Classical, Opera, Afro-Cuban Jazz). Good luck in your search!

Feb 24, 2006 at 11:26 PM Post #303 of 1,076
K1000 - best all around headphone on the planet (based on my criteria)

Pros: Best soundstage by far of any phone, very detailed, very fast, adjustable freq. response (by positioning), imaging is very real and solid, and it's under $1K and not by a little bit.

Cons: Can sound metallic, bright, thin - the pro to this con is that all the cons can be eliminated by matching with the right amp. The only con to me is that they make you look like something Doc would come up with in "Back To The Future" - in other words they'll make you look like a freak
k1000smile.gif

Sony R10 - The most resolved smooth sound headphone out there, but to me doesn't have all the attributes the K1000 has. When price is thrown in
tongue.gif
, it's not worth some refinement to pay 4-5X what the K1000 costs. But if you got money to spare, you'll be in sonic bliss.
eggosmile.gif

RS-1 most addicting, smooth, romantic, sound for far less than the R10 - that's with flats. With bowls it a the best rock headphone (if you can take the ocassional high note through the brain).

Senn 600 - Best boring headphones lol - I still like them and won't get rid of them. The best for piano reproduction and very good soundstaging, frequency response.

To each their own - but it's all there to enjoy

Feb 25, 2006 at 8:43 AM Post #304 of 1,076
The first time I had an "aha!" with headphones I tried using a cheapo headphone amp to power my Grado SR-80s from a cheapo portable cd player with a line out. Then I bought Griffin's iMic for my iBook to use with the same SR-80s...the sound was wonderful--at least in comparison to the standard sound card. Now I mostly listen to Sennheiser HD-595s using a PC laptop with a HeadRoom MicroStack. I think I'm pretty jaded audiophilewise, but the present setup is pretty nice. My next step will be a modded Sony SCD-CE595 with a custom M3 amp with the Grado RS-325i's.

Feb 28, 2006 at 10:59 AM Post #305 of 1,076
a fully burnt in ATH-A900LTD paired with a decent receiver and source = magic/eargasms
biggrin.gif

think a900 but with very good mids (not recessed), smoother and richer bass, and clearer highs

Mar 22, 2006 at 4:31 PM Post #306 of 1,076
im looking for a pair of cans that can match up to grado ps1's audio technicas
L3000's where can i find this it still has to be in production i was thinking about stax omega 2's any advice would be great i must add that i have never tried the L3000's or the PS1's i just read these are great cans for bass heads

im not looking for cans that are just good at producing bass i want great detail in the mids and highs as well as in the bass regions

help
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

edit: i have never tried omega 2's either and what about the alessandro ms pro can these cans equal the above cans are these bass head cans

Apr 8, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #307 of 1,076
I like my HD-555. I'm sure there's better but whats the point when most
final masters are so F**KUp. It's the same with hi-end home gear. The more
you spend, the more bad CD's you'll find! I like sickly sweet honey pouring out of my speakers/headphones.

May 19, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #310 of 1,076
Ah decisions. I was ready to go with the Sennheiser HD 650 (can get it for $274 USD), but I've heard enough complaints about it that I'm considering the AKG K701 ($318).

I'd only use cans for about 10% of my listening time, for reviewing music and late night listening. Plan up upgrading to an HK AVR 645, which is what would drive the headphones.

May 22, 2006 at 2:04 PM Post #311 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fastnbulbous
Ah decisions. I was ready to go with the Sennheiser HD 650 (can get it for $274 USD), but I've heard enough complaints about it that I'm considering the AKG K701 ($318).

I'd only use cans for about 10% of my listening time, for reviewing music and late night listening. Plan up upgrading to an HK AVR 645, which is what would drive the headphones.

I have been tinkering with the idea of some new cans and amp. I'm in the middle of a move and may have to do without my speakers for awhile. The AKG 701's have been tempting me along with a Cayin HA-1A (pretty sweet looking). I know the amp is over the 500.00 range, but I would be curious if anyone has auditioned it or the AKG 701's or possibly both?

May 22, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #312 of 1,076
after 75 hours breakin these are... the best headphones I've ever heard! A lot of it was evident after 10 minutes, but now these are just insanely wonderful.
I'm constantly hearing details, subtle timbre of instruments, and changes/fluctuations in notes I've never heard before. The soundstage is as great as everyone is reporting, but it's not just SIZE: the entire spatial thang (the soundscape) is amazing. If I turn my attention to a single strand (a voice) in a harmony on Abbey Road, I hear that Beatle like I've never heard him, yet the harmony remains more cohesive than I've heard before also.
They have the "Grado sound" in spades, but in a whole new setting, and yes, a slightly different perspective. The in your face aspect is tempered just a bit, but the dynamics are fantastic. I have a feeling that this may be a headphone that Grado lovers and folks who've never loved a Grado, will love.
The highs just keep getting better, and they started out good. The bass is without a doubt the best I've ever heard on a headphone - super tight, very deep, and not bloated or running into the mids even a smidgeon. The mids themselves are just beautiful. It is all amazingly in balance; enormous amounts of everything you want to hear.
These phones are both fast and liquid in my system, musical as hell, matching the best I've heard from great speakers more then I'd have believed a headphone could.
Worth every penny, and then some!

Jun 3, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #313 of 1,076
Sennheiser HD480II - gorgeous clear sound, deep bass, great carity & treble, liquid midrange

Jun 9, 2006 at 10:57 PM Post #314 of 1,076
Philips SBC-HP460.

The audio-technica FC7 style, only much more refined.
Very clear highs and HUGE soundstage for their size as well as very nice details and deep impacting bass.

Mids are above average but nothing like the boost the highs and the details got.

In-line volume control is there and those who don't enjoy that, maybe you can rewire these things. They also fold up quite small for storage and are DJ style.

Recommended for small ears as it is more comfortable.
For $35, you really can't do any better.

Jun 28, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #315 of 1,076
I find the AKG K701 to have a nice rich and thick sound for the money.

I found them for under $300 HERE and have been loving them since.

Personally, considering the performance to price ratio of these babies I doubt I can find better for the money. Although I am always open to suggestions.
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back