Recommendations for Best headphones on the market (new and old)
Sep 27, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #511 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by r3cc0s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sad to say but I gaurantee that sony mdr series is probably the most popular under 500

but they suck

Hmmm... I thought there was a "no flame war" policy here, and by implication, no trolling, either. You don't like them? Fine, but phrases like "they suck" can be seen as inflammatory and worse, just aren't very informative.

I haven't owned or even listened to most of Sony's MDR series, but for their price, I have yet to find a better overall set of cans than the MDR-V6. Extended and detailed highs, reasonably extended lows, generally an easy phone to listen to. They don't have the midrange smoothness of a good AKG or Sennheiser, for sure, and high end sounds a little "surfacey," but they are relentless in revealing noises and distortions in live feeds, making them very useful as monitor phones. They are also very sensitive, able to be driven by darned near anything.

Changing the subject...

About in-the-ear models... Does ANYONE know a great set of portable "iPod friendly" buds that aren't so fragile?
confused.gif
mad.gif

I spent substantial money for some Etymotics and loved them... for the entire 3 months they lasted! All "buds" are tiny and light weight, which apparently translates as "easy to break." I would love some great buds, but won't again spend the money that great buds cost if they won't stand up to some light to modest use and abuse. I just can't afford to be replacing them that often.

Sep 27, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #513 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by weirving /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would love some great buds, but won't again spend the money that great buds cost if they won't stand up to some light to modest use and abuse. I just can't afford to be replacing them that often.

I bought the Denon AH-C700 a month ago. They're really well built and robust, perfect for 'light to modest use and abuse'. For extra 'strength' they have an aluminium housing, which would definitely stand more abuse than plastic.

Sep 29, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #514 of 1,076
Sennheiser HD650, Beyerdynamic DT880 or something else? I am coming from Sennheiser HD595 and listen mostly hard rock, metal, male vocals, jazz and such. I am going to testdrive above mentioned headphones, but is there any other models that I should give a change?

Oct 1, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #515 of 1,076
Shure IEMs are a lot more durable than Etys. I've had E3 and E4 and they both have a slightly stiff, heavy cord that's not gonna break any time soon. The one pair I did manage to break, an E3, was when someone actually stepped on the bud and cracked it loose from where it snaps onto the cord. Uh, don't do that.

Oct 7, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #516 of 1,076
Hi all,

At the moment I'm considering buying some IEMs, in particular the Shure SE530s and have heard that they sound more alike to the Sennheiser HD600s.

I adore the sound of my 595s and would like my IEMs to be as close to them as possible, or slightly "better" if possible.

What IEMs are for me?

Oct 8, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #517 of 1,076
I recently acquired my Shure E500pth (now SE530) and would venture to say they sound equal to or better than my Sennheiser HD 580's (same driver as HD 600). They isolate well and are extremely comfortable to wear. I bought them on a closeout sale for half off; I doubt I would have taken the plunge for the MRSP of $500, but I must admit they sound and perform better than any IEM I have owned. The detail in the music is every bit good as the big over the ear Sennheiser's; they make me go WOW every time I experience them.

Oct 9, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #518 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by eeagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently acquired my Shure E500pth (now SE530) and would venture to say they sound equal to or better than my Sennheiser HD 580's (same driver as HD 600). They isolate well and are extremely comfortable to wear. I bought them on a closeout sale for half off; I doubt I would have taken the plunge for the MRSP of $500, but I must admit they sound and perform better than any IEM I have owned. The detail in the music is every bit good as the big over the ear Sennheiser's; they make me go WOW every time I experience them.

Thanks for the advice. Too late though.
tongue.gif

I bought a pair of HD580's on eBay the other day instead.
I'll probably buy them when the iPhone gets released in Aus, though.
580smile.gif

Oct 13, 2007 at 8:14 AM Post #519 of 1,076
Looking for new headphones. I have had sony mdr-v700dj phones now for 4years and they are still sounding good but the other parts are pretty much wasted. I'm tired of taping these, so i'm buying new phones. I use phones for playing computer games and watching movies, and I like closed phones when doing that but also listen to ipod, and never used MDR-V700:s outside.. only the original ipod ****** phones. So I looked for HD 25-1 II they look cool, maybe you could wear them also outside? I would like phones who has these attributes: closed, nice bass and price 150-200€. Any users who has experience in HD 25-1 II and MDR-V700 ?

Oct 13, 2007 at 10:44 AM Post #520 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by rauskimon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking for new headphones. I have had sony mdr-v700dj phones now for 4years and they are still sounding good but the other parts are pretty much wasted. I'm tired of taping these, so i'm buying new phones. I use phones for playing computer games and watching movies, and I like closed phones when doing that but also listen to ipod, and never used MDR-V700:s outside.. only the original ipod ****** phones. So I looked for HD 25-1 II they look cool, maybe you could wear them also outside? I would like phones who has these attributes: closed, nice bass and price 150-200€. Any users who has experience in HD 25-1 II and MDR-V700 ?

Check out the BeyerDynamics DT770

Oct 17, 2007 at 9:12 AM Post #521 of 1,076
Please see new thread

Closed AT headphones vs. others

I search for a good closed headphone similar to my AKG K 701 (sounds better than Sennheiser HD 600).

Please can you tell me the rank about this?

ATH-A950LTD limited edition (new stock available?)
ATH-A900
ATH-W1000
ATH-W5000

Ultrasone PROline 750
Sennheiser HD 250-II
Beyerdynamic DT 250, 250 Ohm
AKG K271 Pro

PS: For open headphones about 200$ - 400$ I recommand the AKG K 701
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #522 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by FritzS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please see new thread

Closed AT headphones vs. others

I search for a good closed headphone similar to my AKG K 701 (sounds better than Sennheiser HD 600).

Please can you tell me the rank about this?

ATH-A950LTD limited edition (new stock available?)
ATH-A900
ATH-W1000
ATH-W5000

Ultrasone PROline 750
Sennheiser HD 250-II
Beyerdynamic DT 250, 250 Ohm
AKG K271 Pro

PS: For open headphones about 200$ - 400$ I recommand the AKG K 701
smily_headphones1.gif

Which of these do not need an amp?

Oct 19, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #523 of 1,076
Weirving,

The most durable in-ear monitors (not "buds," since buds don't go into the ear canal) that I have found are custom. In particular, UE customs since you can replace the cables. I have a pair of UE10s that got caught in the spokes of my bike while riding (long story), which ripped them out of my ears, shredded the cable and threw the IEMs down the street. The cables were trashed, but the UE10s still work flawlessly to this day. My favorite portable headphones!

Hope that helps. My wife destroys her Shures (E3s, E4s) on a regular basis after only a few months. I won't let her touch my ER4s!

Enjoy.

dotyman

Oct 23, 2007 at 7:31 AM Post #524 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Iriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shure SE530s are the best IEMs in the market so far. Thats what I think, yup thats rite? THe absolute best I think.

I have tried the E4c and found them too heavy. Very uncomfortable when my head was on the move.

These 530's seems also to be too heavy.

For travelling I'm still using the Sony MDR-EX71
basshead.gif
untill I'll find a better one (which is comfortable too!).

Oct 24, 2007 at 11:24 AM Post #525 of 1,076
Hi, I've zeroed in on the following 2 sets for my budget and accessibility (in India)

1. Sony MDR XD200 - 40mmm drivers
2. Sennheisser eH 150 - 30mm drivers

If I want a pair of good 'cans' for listening to music and movies, which one of the above would be better? and would the difference between an XD200 and an XD100 be much? The only difference is the 200 has neodinium magnets against the normal ferrite of the xd100... whats the advantage of neodinium magnets?

I'd like good bass and solid all round performance from my set of cans, so please let me know which ones better...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back